Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services gotcatchup gotcatchup gotcatchup  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 88 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 102 reviews
on July 4, 2013
What a cute, beautiful and fun approach to teaching about the origin of the universe. My daughter (3.5 yo) found it engaging and easy to understand for the most part. The recursive way of telling the story made the steps make sense to her in a way other books have not. We're strongly atheist but I don't think there is anything in this book that would insult most religious parents who want to expand their children's horizons a bit.

Pros:
- Easy for young children to grasp.
- Fun and engaging.
- Beautiful art.

Cons:
- Like a lot of these books, it subtlely elevates humans above other animals as if we're the pinnacle of evolution.
on March 6, 2014
I wanted to love this book. The first and last page have a great message, "you are as old as the stars," and the last two pages are beautifully illustrated. However, the story itself and illustrations throughout the main book are disappointing. What you see on the cover is the best of it… black, with lots of yellow, orange, and red starbursts. Honestly, it looks like the kind of artwork a toddler does with finger paint in preschool. Yes, it's space, but they could have played a lot more with color. There's nothing to hold a child's (visual) interest, nor are the words colored correctly to contrast well and stand out from the background. Reading it reminds me of reading a badly-done webpage with red letters and a black background. Ouch. Personally, I don't find myself wanting to read this book with my son, so I doubt he enjoys it much, either.

Each page has 2 versions of a "story" or information about "the big bang," and the toddler version of the "story" is just repetitious… the sentences build on each other, rather like the 12 days of Christmas, and the words mean very little. The illustrations do nothing to add to the meaning, either.

I don't understand why they couldn't stick with the theme on the first and last pages of the book… that's obviously what people are looking for. The information on each page (for older kids) is fine, but reads like a bad textbook, and I think a kid who is old enough to understand it would be WELL beyond this type of a kids' book anyway, and better served by a book with real illustrations of space and more kid friendly explanations.
on March 12, 2017
I don't normally love books that build upon each page, making you repeat phrases over and over. The little old lady who swallowed a fly style... but this one has such great illustrations, the repeating language is building upon events so it helps solidify the topic... it's a good read about a complicated topic.
on January 15, 2017
I like this book. My 4 and 6 year old seem to loose interest while reading. I wish the pictures were different.
on December 16, 2012
I really can't say enough about how great this book is. It starts of with the bang when the world began and each page expands on that and tells the complete story of how the universe was formed all the way up to how people became a part of it. Each page has both a short statement to add onto the simple, rhyming explanation and a longer, more detailed description of each event to add as they get a little older. My four year old loves it! It's a great intro to complicated ideas and a good foundation teaching children about what's real and what's made up
on February 28, 2017
This terrific little book was recommended to me by a coworker. It's a wonderfully accessible explanation of the Big Bang theory, while also having rhyme that entrances my 3-yr old. He requests this book often, and we love reading it to him.
on December 22, 2014
We love this book. My daughter pretty much has it memorized and we take turns reading it to each other. She likes that she can change the lyrics of twinkle twinkle little star

"twinkle twinkle little star
now I know what you are..."

She also loves the part about breathing air the dinosaurs breathe. She's brought this book to school to share several times
on April 8, 2010
Karen Fox's book does a wonderful job of presenting a brief history of the universe, from Big Bang to the kid reading the book, with parallel textual tracks that provide just enough for younger readers and more science heft for older kids.

Starting with the Big Bang, her evolving rhyme -- "This is the Bang" etc., kind of like "There once was a woman who swallowed a fly" -- goes through the creation of atoms, their diffusion through space in star formation and supernovae, and ultimately the formation of our sun and Earth and its inhabitants.

With my five year old, just reading the rhyming part is enough. But on each page there is also a smaller more science-y text that older kids will find appealing, coupled with a glossary at the end and a timeline of the universe. The illustrations are beautiful and dynamic. I liked how the theme of stars was echoed in many of the drawings.

All in all this is a very satisfying book that I look forward to my daughters turning to over the next few years and continuing to gain more as their reading and understanding match the book's universal story.
on April 9, 2016
Amazing book about the beginnings of our earth and Galaxy, told in a kid-friendly way. Similar to the way "the woman who swallowed a fly" builds a story one phrase at a time, this books builds to an understanding of how the Big Bang leads all the way to human's existence. It is so fun and children will get involved and read the repetitive parts along with you. My 2nd grader and her whole class loved this book. It prompted them to ask very insightful questions and paired well with their class work on planets.
on January 31, 2016
my daughter (5) was completely fascinated by the way the story is told. It gave us lots to discuss, and definitely kept her interest. I researched and then bought this book because she started asking me about the christianity stuff kids in school talk about. After reading this a few times, I think she's figured out what she wants to believe, which is all I wanted.