Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Olive the Other Reindeer
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on November 16, 2000
This tale of a Christmas-loving dog who tries to help Santa make his deliveries is both cute and innocent enough for young kids and hip enough for their Gen X parents. For example there's a great line that parodies the "you're no Jack Kennedy" remark Lloyd Bentsen made to Dan Quayle in the 1988 VP debates. That's going to go over the head of any kid, but they'll be wondering why Mommy and Daddy think it's so funny. And that's not the only joke snuck in for the grown ups.
With a larcenous penguin as a companion, Olive meets interesting and interestingly-named characters as she heads to the North Pole to save Christmas. This special truly deserved its Emmy nomination and will entertain both you and your kids.
A last bit of trivia: When Drew Barrymore (the voice of Olive) was in Woody Allen's musical, "Everyone Says I Love You", she was the only star in it who was able to convince Woody her singing was so bad that she should have a voice double for her songs. That should make it all the more interesting when you get to hear Drew sing in "Olive, The Other Reindeer".
HALL OF FAMEon September 10, 2001
How could you not love this story? The title alone will make you smile! But then someone got the great idea of animating this story of a small but brave little dog named Olive who jumps at the chance to join Santa's team of reindeer when Blitzen is injured AND letting Drew Barrymore do the voice of Olive. By the time you recognize the voices of Dan Castallaneta, Ed Asner, Peter MacNichol and Michael Stipe, you realize that they all signed on because this is a quality holiday story. It has been a long time boys and girls since we have had a new one this good to enjoy during the holiday season. Even if you have not enjoyed the charming book by J. Otto Seibold and Vivian Walsh, you will adore the movie. Or visa versa. If you have kids they will want to watch this one over and over, but do not worry about it; you will not mind that one bit.
on June 16, 2000
This is the most adorable movie. It was featured on FOX, as a Christmas special. Drew Barrymore uses her lovely voice to portray Olive, a little dog who thinks he is ment to be one of Santa's reindeers. An evil postal worker plans to ruin Christmas, and stop Olive. It is such a wonderful story; soon to be a new Christmas classic. It is so cute, and a must to buy. Anyone will love this movie.
It is a puzzlement to me that OLIVE THE OTHER REINDEER ran on broadcast once, in 1999, and since then has been Fox's orphan child while lesser Christmas cartoons clog the airwaves. Based on a kids' book and the author's own Jack Russell Terrier, OLIVE got its title from a pun: Olive the pooch hears that Santa is appealing to "Olive, the other reindeer" to make Christmas a success and not the usual "All of the other reindeer . . . " With the help of a wisecracking penguin, Martini, and in spite of a comically disgruntled postal worker, Olive makes her way up North but infiltrating Santa's compound is not easy.

Some reviewers have complained that OLIVE may not be suitable for very young children. Perhaps not. But the show has considerable merits for older children and adults, not least because of its charmingly awkward "cutout" animation style, its songs, the bubbly voicing of the title character by Drew Barrymore, and its not inconsiderable throwaway wit (the bus Olive rides is a "Mauvehound"). Without commercials, OLIVE runs a mere 45 minutes but the DVD also includes a making-of short. Highly recommended.
on October 30, 2000
I just saw, Olive the Other Reindeer a couple of days ago with my neice on video, and I have to say it is one of the best Christmas specials I have ever seen. Now, I am a Grinch who stole Christmas man myself, and even though that will always rank number 1 in my book, Olive is a close 2nd! Olive is a cute Jack Russel who, fearing that her owner doesn't love her anymore, wants to impress him with helping save Christmas. It seems that Blitzen has hurt his hoof and Santa needs help from, "all of the other reindeer" but Olive hears, "Olive, the other reindeer!" The animation is wonderful and the wit of the piece kept me interested for the whole short 45 minutes. This video certainly will have a prize place on my shelf! Oh, Drew Barrymore is great as the voice of Olive.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 17, 2011
We saw this animated, one-hour holiday special for the first time this holiday season and simply adored it. Cute, clever, funny and sweet without being cloying, this is the story of a dog named Olive who hears the phrase "all of the other reindeer" during a radio newscast about Santa's possible Christmas cancellation and instead thinks she heard Santa calling her for help as "Olive, the other reindeer."

Voiced by Drew Barrymore, Olive is touching and sure to become an annual tradition in our household, which is why I immediately bought the DVD (and the book) for my little guy after discovering it on cable TV earlier this month. It's one of those rare finds where my four-year-old son enjoyed it, and so did his dad and I. Nuanced enough for adults, it still resonates with kids, and succeeds in filling both age groups with holiday joy.

Everything you could ask for in a Christmas special and a real find. I have no idea why this one isn't better known.
on January 7, 2008
I saw "Olive" a few years ago on cable TV, and was charmed - it's the first real new holiday "classic" to come out in a very long time. I bought it for my household Christmas 2007, and my 4 year old son can't get enough of it. He now knows all the songs, and can quote long passages of dialogue with great comedic effect.
With the voice talents of Drew Barrymore, Dan Castellaneta, (of Simpsons fame), Michael Stipe, and music by swing band Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, the film has a definite 90's vibe - the humor and attitude, as well as some semi-obscure pop culture references, root this film to the time it was made, but I don't think it is really "dated". The pure charm and cuteness aren't annoying - they're just that - charming and cute. The music is great, the storytelling is great, the animation is really fun to watch. I know 40 year olds who laugh out loud and get involved in the story as much as the kids do. "Olive" will become another member of the pantheon of holiday essential viewing in my house.
on December 21, 2001
My wife and I watched the Olive when it first came out on Fox several years ago and bought the video last Christmas.(I don't own the DVD yet, but will buy it before next Christmas. So, my review is really about the show itself and not necessarily the DVD). This is one of the few Christmas shows that have come out in the past few years that I see myself watching years from now. It truly works well on many levels. My kids love it for the story and the animation, my wife and I are still "getting" cultural references and jokes that we missed on earlier viewings (which flew right over my Children's heads) I strongly disagree with the reviewer that critisized this show as being "anti-Christian propoganda." As a Christian, I see nothing objectionable in it. While it is a secular Christmas show, it is no more offensive than other secular Christmas shows that focus on Santa, etc., instead of the birth of Christ. I found the overall "message" of Olive to be a positive one. I would strongly recommend this show to anyone.
on December 18, 2012
This movie is quite cute for kids and adults alike. I am able to sit though the whole thing without being in complete agony like some kids holiday movies. The only thing is the movie is "BASED" on the book....it is not exactly the same. My son didn't mind. He likes the book...and he likes the movie as well. My favorite part is underlying message of the movie that this encourages kids to follow their dreams and never give up. I'm sure we will enjoy this for years to come.
on February 13, 2014
This cartoon is so fun!--it's one of those sweet Christmas-y stories, but it's chock full of little bits of humor. For instance, "Olive the other reindeer" comes from "all of the other reindeer", and Olive, who is actually a dog, has a pet flea named Fido--you can see it's full of humor. The guys in the family love it as well as the gals. It's a new Christmas season movie tradition at our house. I will say (for those reading this that want to know what a movie "teaches" in it's philosophy) that the "worldview" of the movie is pretty straight forward: that the message of Christmas is that we should try to do good to deserve the good things we get. While I disagree with that idea, because I know the message of Christmas is that Jesus came to save sinners, (not that we can deserve the good things we get), it's still a very fun movie that I heartily recommend.