Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Olympia 42 Inch Sports Duffel
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

on April 10, 2013
I actually ordered two of these to take on a family trip to Florida. We were planing on putting these on the roof of our car in the luggage rack. When the package was opened I could not believe the smell - nearly a stench! It was a strong sweet sickly plastic chemical smell. Understand that I am not one who writes these reviews much, but I feel compelled to writhe this one. When I say it was a strong smell - I mean it - the whole house stunk like these bags in a matter of minutes. Put your face into the bag and it will gag you. Put your clothes in this and they will likely stink too!

I was initially prepared to return these to Amazon but they are pretty nice bags and I actually like them very much. I read a few other reviews (too late) and saw reports on what folks did to remedy this and then I set to work. First I stole some of my teenagers Axe body wash and fixed up a huge batch of hot soapy water, Then I took them into the garage and scrubbed them like they did in the olden days of laundry. Rinsed them again in warm water, and hung them up to drip dry. Now they smelled like a teenage boy in heat that was dipped in some kind of industrial chemical vat! Better, but still not good enough to put any clothes in. Two weeks outside on the porch is what finally did the trick. These things need to be aired out for a very long time!

The bags themselves are well made I believe (the wonders of modern chemistry!), and if it weren't for the stench initially, I would have given them 4-5 stars. They are HUGE - really HUGE bags and easily hold two weeks worth of clothes and supplies. Good hand holds, durable fabrics, and quality zippers. Colors are vibrant and after washing and weathering, still the colors were bold. I don't think they are as waterproof as they are advertised, maybe because of the washing I did, but they did not shed water like I had hoped.

If you buy one of these bags you will be impressed with the quality of the materials and workmanship, but plan on airing them out and scrubbing off the chemical stench. MINIMUM TWO WEEKS OUTSIDE IN THE ELEMENTS TO MAKE THESE USABLE!

My heart goes out to the poor people who work in the factory that produces these bags - I cannot imagine living with this smell all the time! The place that makes these bags likely has a hole in the ozone directly above it.

I hope this helps some of you.
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2013
Took this for a medical mission and it was easier to carry than some other bags. Would have liked rollers, but that adds a lot of weight to the bag. This was allowed by the airlines, and was packed to 50 pounds.
on January 12, 2014
This is the jumbo bag I was missing. It comes wrapped in a small bag so you may carry on when not using. Good built material, not sure if it is water proof but seems to be water resistant. I love it.
on June 15, 2013
Larger than I expected, great thick/durable fabric and design! I bought it as an extra bag for my son to bring back all the extras from camp. Its spacious enough to put an under the bed container. Love it and will buy more of this!
on July 14, 2015
This 42" blue bag ripped during my first airline trip. Stuff fell out of my bag never to be recovered again.

It ripped along the had canvas portion of the bag.

Suprised because I have the next smaller bag by olympia and everythibg was fine with that one.
review image
on March 9, 2014
I purchased this bag to carry our back drop stands, lights, tripods, and other misc equipment. I know this is not the intended purpose of the bag but it is super sturdy and has extra space.
on November 4, 2015
The bag is great, but I have not be able to use it yet. The smell is overwhelming. Put some clothes in it and the will smell just like the bag. I washed inside and out. It is still hanging in the garage airing out. This is the fourth week. I did notice this past week when I walk into the garage the smell is down to a tolerable level. Once the smell is gone i think it will work fine for me.. This should not reflect on the supplier. This is a mfg problem.
on January 8, 2014
I received the 2 bags I purchased but according to the picture displayed in the item itself, the pink bag did not come with my purchase.

The bag are great and sturdy. They are well made. They are really big. I should have ordered a smaller size but will keep them.
on August 1, 2013
The first thing you will notice is how awfully bad it smells. Smells like a lot of chemicals. I have the 42" Gray, but maybe the other colors don't smell as bad. Wash it extra long. I'm a little concerned about the origin of the company that makes this bag. It's made in China, but is it an American or other company making bags in China, or is it a Chinese company making it in China. So, I'm also concerned about what exactly the very strong "chemical" smell is. Health issues I should be worried about? I live in an apartment building and don't have the luxury of any private outdoor space. So, airing it outside for several weeks is not an option for me.

The bag is great for airline travel. Probably a little too big if used as a regular sports bag. I'd give it 5 stars if it wasn't for the terrible smell.

Edit:
This is a very large bag that you probably won't pack to capacity unless it's just fluffy clothes. I used a couple of them for gear I was packing and it fit them nicely. I would've / could've packed more into them if not for the 50 pound weight limit for checked baggage. The smell is finally gone after leaving it outside the entire time I was on vacation. City, apartment dwellers are going to have a difficult time properly airing it out. Excellent bag now the smell is gone.
on September 14, 2015
Good looking bag that appeared to be sturdy, but the fabric near one strap connection tore the first time I used it. Since I could not locate the receipt, I did not return it. Very disappointed since it is large bag and fit my needs perfectly. Other smaller bag that I bought at the same time held up fine.