Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Olympia 42 Inch Sports Duffel
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Starting at $39.99 New Salon & Spa Wedding Store Tailgate-Garden Amazon Football TV Wall Mounting CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes CrisisinSixScenes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition RollingStones Shop Now STEM

on April 10, 2013
I actually ordered two of these to take on a family trip to Florida. We were planing on putting these on the roof of our car in the luggage rack. When the package was opened I could not believe the smell - nearly a stench! It was a strong sweet sickly plastic chemical smell. Understand that I am not one who writes these reviews much, but I feel compelled to writhe this one. When I say it was a strong smell - I mean it - the whole house stunk like these bags in a matter of minutes. Put your face into the bag and it will gag you. Put your clothes in this and they will likely stink too!

I was initially prepared to return these to Amazon but they are pretty nice bags and I actually like them very much. I read a few other reviews (too late) and saw reports on what folks did to remedy this and then I set to work. First I stole some of my teenagers Axe body wash and fixed up a huge batch of hot soapy water, Then I took them into the garage and scrubbed them like they did in the olden days of laundry. Rinsed them again in warm water, and hung them up to drip dry. Now they smelled like a teenage boy in heat that was dipped in some kind of industrial chemical vat! Better, but still not good enough to put any clothes in. Two weeks outside on the porch is what finally did the trick. These things need to be aired out for a very long time!

The bags themselves are well made I believe (the wonders of modern chemistry!), and if it weren't for the stench initially, I would have given them 4-5 stars. They are HUGE - really HUGE bags and easily hold two weeks worth of clothes and supplies. Good hand holds, durable fabrics, and quality zippers. Colors are vibrant and after washing and weathering, still the colors were bold. I don't think they are as waterproof as they are advertised, maybe because of the washing I did, but they did not shed water like I had hoped.

If you buy one of these bags you will be impressed with the quality of the materials and workmanship, but plan on airing them out and scrubbing off the chemical stench. MINIMUM TWO WEEKS OUTSIDE IN THE ELEMENTS TO MAKE THESE USABLE!

My heart goes out to the poor people who work in the factory that produces these bags - I cannot imagine living with this smell all the time! The place that makes these bags likely has a hole in the ozone directly above it.

I hope this helps some of you.
44 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2013
Took this for a medical mission and it was easier to carry than some other bags. Would have liked rollers, but that adds a lot of weight to the bag. This was allowed by the airlines, and was packed to 50 pounds.
on January 12, 2014
This is the jumbo bag I was missing. It comes wrapped in a small bag so you may carry on when not using. Good built material, not sure if it is water proof but seems to be water resistant. I love it.
on June 15, 2013
Larger than I expected, great thick/durable fabric and design! I bought it as an extra bag for my son to bring back all the extras from camp. Its spacious enough to put an under the bed container. Love it and will buy more of this!
on July 14, 2015
This 42" blue bag ripped during my first airline trip. Stuff fell out of my bag never to be recovered again.

It ripped along the had canvas portion of the bag.

Suprised because I have the next smaller bag by olympia and everythibg was fine with that one.
review image
on March 9, 2014
I purchased this bag to carry our back drop stands, lights, tripods, and other misc equipment. I know this is not the intended purpose of the bag but it is super sturdy and has extra space.
on November 4, 2015
The bag is great, but I have not be able to use it yet. The smell is overwhelming. Put some clothes in it and the will smell just like the bag. I washed inside and out. It is still hanging in the garage airing out. This is the fourth week. I did notice this past week when I walk into the garage the smell is down to a tolerable level. Once the smell is gone i think it will work fine for me.. This should not reflect on the supplier. This is a mfg problem.
on January 8, 2014
I received the 2 bags I purchased but according to the picture displayed in the item itself, the pink bag did not come with my purchase.

The bag are great and sturdy. They are well made. They are really big. I should have ordered a smaller size but will keep them.
on September 14, 2015
Good looking bag that appeared to be sturdy, but the fabric near one strap connection tore the first time I used it. Since I could not locate the receipt, I did not return it. Very disappointed since it is large bag and fit my needs perfectly. Other smaller bag that I bought at the same time held up fine.
on August 3, 2015
No doubt as others have said, these bags smell bad when you open the packaging. I think it is chemical dye smell and leaving them open on the floor of the living room filled with about 5 or 6 dryer sheets each did the trick for us. The next day we just added more dryer sheets and zippered them up. By the next day they were free of the smell.

I bought two but only needed to use one to pack all the bedding, bath and beach towels we took on vacation.

Other than the smell these bags are great. Heavy duty canvas material, nice sewn side handles, great shoulder strap, outside zippered storage, and compression straps really help to cram a lot in them. The hardware seems to be well made too and I expect to get a lot of years out of these bags.

I definitely recommend them to anyone that needs a large bag. They would be perfect for ice hockey players to travel to and from the rink or anyone else that needs to carry a lot of light things. The reason I say light is, these bags are so big that if you loaded them up with heavier items the average sized person might have a hard time carrying them.

For our purpose, they are perfect and the price was too.