Optics and Resolution
The 3.2-megapixel Olympus C-740 digital camera can capture images up to 2048 x 1536 pixels; it can also produce 3200 x 2400 pixel images through interpolation for extra-large prints. It boasts an outstanding Olympus aspherical glass 10x zoom lens with 11 lenses in 7 groups. When combined with the 3x digital zoom, you get a total zoom of 30x. The F2.8-F3.7 lens has a focal range of 6.3-63mm, or 38380mm equivalent in 35mm photography. The ED coating on the lens helps reduce the purple fringing normally seen on larger zoom cameras.
The C-740 also features Olympus TruePic technology, which optimizes the image information captured on the CCD before the data is saved by using the brightness and color information of the neighboring pixels when processing the pixel data. This leads to digital pictures that set standards for picture sharpness, contrast, true colors, and gradation.
Storage and Transfer
With the C-740, you can store images on XD memory cards. With the included 16 MB XD card, you can store 20 images at HQ mode (2048 x 1536 pixels). Images can be downloaded to either a Mac or PC via USB connectivity, which means it can be connected to any USB-based Windows Me/2000/XP and Mac OS 8.6 or later computer without installing any software.
In movie mode, the C-740 captures continuous video (without sound) at 15 frames per second in two formats: 320 x 240 (up to 33 seconds) or 160 x 120 pixels (up to 148 seconds). The QuickTime Motion JPEG format offers a limited resolution, which is great for capturing a short movie that can be e-mailed to friends and family, but is no replacement for a true camcorder.
- 1.5-inch low-temperature poly-silicon LCD screen and electronic viewfinder.
- Built-in flash with auto, red-eye reduction, slow synch, and fill in modes.
- Stitch up to 10 frames to create a panorama effect with Camedia Master software when using Olympus brand XD memory cards.
- Six scene program modes; Four customizable My Modes let you choose and save preferred settings
- Image adjustment modes include sharpness, contrast, and saturation (adjustable +/- 5 steps).
- Super macro mode gets as close as 1.2 inches away from your subject.
Power, Size, and Contents
The camera is powered by two CR-V3 lithium battery packs (LB-01, included); rechargeable AA-size NiMH batteries are recommended (four are needed to power the C-740). It measures 4.2 x 3.0 x 3.1 inches and weighs 10.4 ounces. This package includes the Camedia C-740 digital camera, 16 MB XD memory card, batteries, USB and A/V cables, wrist strap, and CD-ROM with Camedia Master imaging software and USB drivers for Windows and Mac.