Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 229 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 255 reviews
on September 8, 2016
Has stood the test of time. I've been using this to record several hours at a time and the quality is fine, the interface is very easy to use, for myself and my technologically un-savvy father. I have easily transferred data from the recorder using the included usb cable with no problem, and using this product for years without any complaints
on May 14, 2011
As a cultural anthropologist and a freelance journalist, I have gone through my share of voice recorders in the past and have been disappointed by a great many. This model is by far the best I've used!

Familiarizing yourself with the unit is simple and takes all of 10 minutes. Yes, the USB cord is a bit short but that shouldn't be much of a concern and certainly isn't worth detracting from the overall rating of the unit. The model does feel a bit flimsy, but I've carried it around in my pants pocket with and without the included skin for days in the city and haven't noticed a scratch, crack or ding yet.

The recording quality of this unit is simply exceptional. During an interview with a famous composer in Brooklyn last month, I was kicking myself for not bringing an external mic when I was told I would be interviewing him in the hotel lounge common room. The lounge was huge (about 150' x 300') and filled with noisy groups of people, and the interviewee's translator was incredibly softspoken. I was dreading listening to the audio of the interview, certain it would be worthless, but was extremely pleased to hear both the interviewee and the translator's voice come in perfectly clear without any of the background noise, chatter, or annoyingly loud cell phone conversations that were taking place 10' away from us.

I have also used this unit to record telephone interviews by placing one earbud from my headset against the speaker, and in all cases the audio has been perfectly clear. I am really quite impressed by the performance, battery life, and fidelity of this unit. If you are looking for a simple to use DVR that can deliver exceptional quality in challenging circumstances, you would do well to purchase this unit.
on September 19, 2016
This product is out of production & old
on April 27, 2014
I purchased this recorder as a replacement for a Sony model that was lost.
While it has worked for the past year, I would not recommend it for several reasons.
It has lots of fancy features that I don't need as I just want to record items to put on my list of things to do.
Often that occurs while driving, but not always.

1. The playback volume is too low for anyone with even a small amount of hearing loss even on the maximum +30 volume setting.
Since the speaker is on the back, it is almost always facing away when played back.

2. The recording quality in a vehicle is very poor as the unit picks up what I can only refer to as "Static" background noise.

3. The message erase time lag is very slow compared to my previous recorder.

You might try out a similarly priced Sony model instead.
on January 28, 2010
I was looking for a digital recorder to replace a cassette recorder. In my hypnosis practice I often record portions of a session so a client can listen to it later for reinforcement of positive suggestions. Tapes are now obsolete, and I needed something better. Recording directly to a lap-top and creating a CD before the client left would be great, but my laptop doesn't do a very good job of recording.

This Olympus recorder seemed to have just what I wanted - sensitivity, quality of sound, small size, USB port, and under $50. Now that I've used it for almost a month, I am very pleased with it. You can set it on a table in a room and hear everything that goes on, clearly and with audio quality. I use a plug-in lapel mike for some recordings, and it works very well. The built-in mike is great. There isn't any background hiss to speak of.

While it would be great to have the files in MP3 format, it isn't a problem with my computer - it plays the .WMA files with no effort, and my CD writer software converts the files automatically.

Size is great, and it comes with a protective pouch and USB cable. It is everything I wanted in a recorder and I'm very pleased with it. This is the first time for me writing a review, but I highly recommend this recorder.
on March 24, 2011
I use my VN6200PC in my classroom to voice record the lectures I give. Then, I convert the recorded sessions to podcasts for the students. There are several pros/cons about this device.

Pros:
1.) Multiple folders, I can put different content in each folder.
2.) As a Linux user, I can mount this device as an external USB hard disc (using the included USB dongle) and simply grab the files off of the disc.
3.) The sound quality is excellent. Voices that are farther away in the room are still recorded clearly!
4.) The included soft cover provides excellent protection of the device.

Cons:
1.) Records in .WMA. So, I have to convert using mplayer. This is an understandable choice since the .WMA is a very usable file-type for all the Windows users.
2.) If I haven't switched the recorder to 'Hold' and the buttons get pushed, the device will drink up a set of AAAs in about a day.
3.) I cannot rename files or folders on the device. Of course, the controls on the device aren't really there to make that happen easily.

In general, I love this voice recorder. It is a fantastic purchase for the money.
on March 17, 2011
I bought the recorder to use in conjunction with a hydrophone in the waters off Maui to record the the songs of Humpback whales. The main requirement for me is the range of frequencies the recorder is capable of 'hearing' and the sensitivity of discerning between those frequencies. Its advertised range is 200-13000Htz. My tests on the one I've got show that it's capable of accurately reproducing a recording with a range between 150-13500Htz. That's just the one I own and can't be said for every one.
I translate the songs I record into numbers and then analyze those numbers so accurate reproductions are important. Also, I never delete any of the songs so once the recorder is full I store it and get a new one. I definitely plan on another one when the one I have is full. Full here is upwards of 70 or so hours of high sensitivity, high quality recording as I recall.
I have the Olympus 3100 (300-7200Htz)which is full Olympus VN3100 Digital Voice Recorder. This one is much better and costs about the same. The only thing I can think of that'd keep me from buying another just like it is if the come out with a better one at near the same price so if there are any Olympus engineers out there reading this, how about a waterproof model? That'd really be great!
on August 10, 2010
I did a LOT of research into different voice recorders. This seemed to meet my needs best. I wanted to get a lightweight, simple recorder that my grandmother could carry around with her and talk into, for genealogy purposes.

The recorder has five folders into which you can organize your files. That is all the organization. The files are named by date and time (if I remember correctly). You can't rename the files in the recorder. That would be annoying for me but it is fine for my grandma because she wouldn't know how to rename them anyway.

The recorder uses one cord to hook up to the computer. Hook-up and file retrieval is very simple. You plug the recorder into the computer. Then open a My Computer file and navigate to the recorder. Inside, there are five folders which directly correspond to the recorder's folders. You can just drag and drop the files.

As one person mentioned, the files are .wma and thus only work on Windows computers. My grandma has a windows computer, so that wasn't a problem.

The recorder comes with a cloth slipper of sorts and has no way to attach to anything else. My grandma and I used a safety pin and a piece of string to make a necklace. It picked up her voice fine, and it also picked up my voice from across the room.

I gave it four stars because I wish the sound quality were better. I used it to record the piano for a few hours, and the quality was bad. I think I should have turned the volume down or something.

Also, the display was hard to understand at first. The display doesn't show as clear in real life as it does in the picture.
on November 24, 2010
This can't amount to the other reviews.

I have taken this everywhere with me to record snippets of my life and lectures in class.

The first time I heard the sound quality, I was blown away. It was devastatingly clear! I understand that I'll get more storage space if I switch to low quality. But believe me, after you hear high quality, you'll won't ever want to switch. The speakers are great! Increasing the volume might decrease sound quality. It can get surprisingly loud.

The manual was easy to read. It came with 4 other manuals in different languages. I only read the first 3 folds, and that was all I needed to read. There is other features to it, but once I set the time, and learned that this button was record, the other was stop, then I was good.

It's real easy to learn the features. It doesn't have an off button, instead a hold switch. So when you're listening to a file, and switch it to hold, the file will continue to play. Only when you press the stop button and switch, then it turns off. You can always check the time when it's on hold, just press any button.

Transferring files was simply, just drag and drop. It plays on basic Window Media.

It has mic and headphone jack. But the it can only play in one earphone.

It looks pretty ugly, but I learned to love this compact recorder that I don't care. Take a picture with me and my digital recorder, and I'll frame it with a wet lipstick kiss.

It comes with AAA batteries, the tiny ones and a cover.

In a quiet room, from far distance, you can pick up decent sound. You won't be able to hear it well on the speakers, so just increase the sound on the computer after you transfer it, that's my only solution, I'm dealing with that issue. But hey what do you expect?
on December 3, 2013
I use this to interview people and it works great. There are five folders, so you can save recordings in the folder of your choice (A-E). It's small enough to fit in a blazer pocket, purse, or even a pants pocket. I've used this to record my thoughts while traveling and also to practice and memorize speeches. A great tool.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.