Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 24, 2017
I'm not 100% sure we got an authentic Olympus product, but it's very similar to the one we already have. The tolerances are just slightly less, and it doesn't say Olympus on the flap like our other one does. Materials feel the same, including the foam. We'll see how it works!
review image
on January 30, 2014
I was a bit confused about the various reviews mentioning that this is possibly a cheap knock-off and not an authentic Olympus product and/or wouldn't keep my camera afloat and/or was poorly made, but decided to rely on some of the positive reviews and I'm glad I did. This strap worked perfectly and appears genuine.

DESCRIPTION AND AUTHENTICITY:

The photo above shows a white Olympus logo on the black portion of the strap and mine did not come that way. There are no corporate logos or any other writings anywhere on the strap. However it did come in Olympus packaging that appeared to be authentic, with the Olympus logo prominently displayed on the top cardboard portion of the package that was stapled to the clear plastic bag holding the strap. Otherwise, it appeared exactly as the yellow one in the photo, which is exactly what I was hoping to get.

The body of the strap features 5 linked foam pad segments, all covered in a nylon Cordura-like fabric. There is a spring-activated cinch on the cord portion of the strap that can tighten or loosen the strap around one's arm and there is a detachable loop that one frees from the main strap and can then loop through the strap eyelet on the camera the same as any camera strap.

Olympus makes quality products and this appeared to be an Olympus product; if it's not, it's a high enough quality fake that one would have to question why a company that could do this quality of item wouldn't counterfeit something much more expensive instead.

FLOAT CAPACITY:

I was a bit nervous about using this after reading some older reviews complaining that it would not keep their older (and presumably larger and heavier) waterproof cameras afloat, so I did the sensible thing - I tested it out in a 2' deep hot tub. It easily kept my Olympus Tough TG820 waterproof camera afloat and, in fact, at least the top half of the strap was floating out of the water - if you look at the photos for the strap, it is separated into 5 segments and the center three segments were out of the water, with the camera apparently held afloat just by the two outer foam segments. My TG820 is an all-metal bodied camera that feels quite heavy, approximately double the weight of other point-and-shoot cameras (according to the product details here on Amazon, the TG820 weighs 7.2 oz.). I tested it out in fairly calm ocean waters and it very easily and visibly kept the camera afloat, with the bright yellow strap easy to see. It did its job perfectly well.

FIT AND FUNCTION:

I'm an average size guy with slightly smaller than average wrists and this strap fit me fine. I suppose I would have liked the ability to tighten it all the way snug around my wrist, which I could not do, leaving a gap that was wide enough that I might have been able to sneak my hand out of if I stretched out my fingers and wrist as thin as I could. However, in real life, no one tries to minimize the size of their hand and wrist unless trying to escape from handcuffs and with a normally held hand, I am confident that this strap will not accidentally slide off any man's wrists and probably no women's wrists, either. I used this strap both boogie boarding and snorkeling and had no problems with it in either use.

Another review mentioned a desire for a second, everyday non-floating strap to go with the loop portion that attaches to the camera, but I don't think that's necessary. The loop is pretty thin (but I'm sure it's still probably the equivalent of 100lb test woven fishing line) and will easily slide into the strap eyelet of most cameras without removing the camera's original, non-floating strap. So I just left my original thin cord strap on the camera for use away from water and merely detached the big floating portion of this strap when I wasn't using it in water. The small portion of the end of this strap with clip and loop did not get in the way at all when using the camera's original cord strap.

DURABILITY:

As mentioned above, the fabric covering the floating portion of the strap appears plenty durable for many years of use. The snap that holds the floating portion on to the loop portion is made of thick, strong plastic and it requires quite a squeeze on the tabs on either side of the clip to disengage the plastic tabs to separate the floating portion from the thin loop attached to the camera. There is no conceivable way I can imagine that this could come lose accidentally if the tabs are properly and fully seated, with a click, into the snap. In fact, my 8-year old was not able to depress the tabs to separate the two parts of the float, and I had to do it. It's not more effort than the average adult can manage, but it's enough to fasten it very securely.

At least one other reviewer complained that the snap broke and he/she lost the attached camera in the ocean. I do not believe that is attributable to the design of the strap and the strap's snap attachment. I would say that the much more likely explanation would be a) that person did not have the tabs fully clicked in and partially snapped, the snap came undone; b) with any plastics, defects in the materials occasionally can happen (maybe from an air bubble or some contaminant fell into the liquid plastic during the molding process) and that reviewer's camera had the bad luck to have such a rare defect on the snap of his/her strap; and/or c) plastic can weaken with time and exposure to salt water or sunlight and maybe after several years of being in the sun or the owner not rinsing it with fresh water after use in the ocean, the plastic deteriorated and weakened. In any event, testing the integrity of the snap attachment with a few tugs before each use should avoid any unintended detachment of the camera.

CONCLUSION:

This strap was well-made, it functions very well and securely, it is very visible if it should ever accidentally slip off my wrist or away from my hands, and at around ten bucks, the price is right. This simply works well and I recommend it.
on December 26, 2012
I had a medium-weight waterproof point-and-shoot camera that I was snorkeling with, and I didn't want to lose it. It honestly doesn't look like it'll keep a whole camera afloat, but it did exactly that. My only complaint it that the strap doesn't tighten very tight. It won't come off of your hand, but it also won't stay put. Usually, you'd want to be able to move the wrist strap freely, but since the strap is buoyant, it floats to whichever end of your arm is higher, which makes it difficult to have the camera in the right position at all times. All in all, it's a good buy. We used it as the primary camera strap the whole vacation. It's not too bulky.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on August 12, 2013
I bought this to go along with the Nikon Coolpix S31 waterproof camera that I took along on a rafting trip in the Grand Canyon. I did not get a chance to see if it would keep the camera afloat as I didn't drop the camera in the river. The wrist strap snugged up nice to both my wrist and to my girlfriend's much more slender wrist as well. Yet, the floatation padding didn't make the thing overly bulky or otherwise difficult to use.

For its price, this implement provides great peace of mind when using a camera in an open water environment. I'm glad I bought it and had it along with me as I went down the river.
2 helpful votes
on August 13, 2014
I hooked this up to my Coolpix S32 and took it snorkeling in Hawaii. This is a great float. I was never worries when taking my camera in to the water or even taking pictures while leaning over the railing of a boat. This strap made my camera very buoyant and it sticks up over the surface of the water, making finding an overboard camera quite easy.

Of course, I tested this in my pool before being so brave.

The wrist strap is bulky, but it fits well over my wrist. It's not snug, but there's no way it can get over my average male-size without me working on it.
on March 29, 2017
Great
on May 30, 2015
I just got my foam strap and its an OK product but it is too big for my tiny wrists so I guess I'm gonna have to sew it smaller, but it's not the products fault, nevertheless I would like it to have some sort of mechanism to contemplate people with smaller wrists so it could be adjusted to every wrists sizes.
2 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse
Use it all the time with my Sport Cameras when hand-holding them near water.
on April 27, 2014
I use this strap every time im at the sea and i have it on my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, i tested it and it works flawlessly i kept recording video while the phone is under water and it looked great. If you have a camera or a smartphone that are waterproof but not sink proof then this strap will be your best friend. But its not that comfortable as a daily strap as i did try to keep it on my phone. So what i do is remove the floater and keep the strap, when i know i will be doing water activities i clip on the floater.
on August 21, 2014
We spent quite a bit of time checking the reviews here before our purchase. We made sure to purchase it from Amazon so that it was an authentic Olympus product. When used, it floated our Lumix DC Vario perfectly fine. Just as others have said, it doesn't adjust to an average wrist tightly. At one point on our trip, while I was kayaking, I slipped the strap on my leg above my knee and tightened it. Overall we are very pleased with the product.