Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 13, 2012
This is a very handy book if you want to get the most from your Pen E-PL 1 camera. I was amazed at all the hidden features. I bring this book out before shooting and concentrate on one thing at a time to get the best from the camera. It has made all the difference in getting more subtle shots. We can all use editing software, but this book has taken my shots to the next level. Probably not the book for point and shoot photographers. That's the best thing about this camera. It can really be an ameture camera as well as intrigue the professional looking for a compact camera. This book takes the camera out of the point and shoot mode.
on November 16, 2017
TOOOOOOO complicated.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 26, 2011
I bought this as a supplement to the mannual. While I vowed never to own a book for Dummies I did make an acception and am glad I did.

I bought the Olympus camera to enable me to manually control the aperature and shutter speed for capturing higher qualitly photos of my art work. Before I had the book I spent five hours shooting my work and was still not very pleased with the results. The book helped me learn more about special options on the camera and with these options I was able to very quickly resolve the issues I had been having and get exceptional photo's of my art work. For me it was a matter of over riding the image stabelizer feature. Something that didn't occur to me, even though I was using a tripod. This made all the difference and was information I would never have gleaned from the manual.

So yeah, I now own a book for Dummies and I am pleased.
on February 13, 2012
I finally transitioned to digital cameras after 40 years using film cameras. This camera was my first step up from a point-and-shoot and this book is very helpful. The book has lots of basic information about both this camera and digital photography in general. Since I'm transitioning this was quite nice. There is also plenty of information about the E-PL1 itself that either is not in the manual or else I have not been able to find it. I was easily able to tweak many camera settings to tailor the use of the camera to me. Prior to having the book there were a number of minor frustrations with using the camera. The information in the book addressed them all. I'm able to use the camera more effectively and I understand the way the controls work.
on August 21, 2012
This book is a must. The EPL1 is a wonderful camera and with this book you really get to know it and enjoy it.
The way things are presented is very pleasant, easy to read and very clear. It has lots of photographs to show how to do it.
you will not regret buying this book.
on December 20, 2012
Having moved up from a point-and-shoot to an Olympus EPM-1 (PEN Mini) I was bewildered by the various menus and settings, and did not find the manual that came with the camera was much help.

Although this title is for the PEN E-PL1, I found that in almost cases the same settings and usage applies to the EPM-1. It shows how to access and use features in the hidden depths of the settings. Thanks to the clear explanations and illustrations I now have a thorough working knowledge of my camera and am able to get out of the "AUTO" setting.

Really very pleased indeed with this book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 9, 2012
This is a great introduction to the E-PL1. It goes over the basic features of the camera and then guides you to the more advanced features while providing some good background information into the fundamentals of photography. I would have liked more example photos for various scenarios - but overall there is a good deal of visual and textual information here and I would recommend this for anyone who has the E-PL1.
on June 28, 2014
I bought both the hard copy and the kindle copy.

I carry the kindle copy with my camera and it is easy to look things up when I need the info.

I doubt I would buy the hard copy again.
on May 9, 2013
Forget the factory manual, unless you enjoy figuring out puzzles, and reading mice-type. This book is loaded with pictures and lots of helpful information, and is written in the kind of vernacular normal peopleuse and understand. I recommend this book highly for any E-PL1 owner, novice or expert.
on February 9, 2011
This is a "SIMPLY" wonderful book to have for the already WONDERFUL Olympus Pen E- PL1 camera! It is very well written and very understandable to follow! I'm not a super technical person, so this book has been an enormous help to me.... I highly recommend the camera AND the book!