Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 14MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Black) (Old Model)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on December 25, 2010
I originally purchased the lesser of the Olympus Stylus Tough and had to return it because of "water damage". I am a professional photographer and I made absolutely sure the camera was locked for water use each time but it still had water damage. The second one I purchased was the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 and it worked great until I used is several times in the ocean. Again I made sure it was locked- even re-locked it- but still it retained water damage once again. I can't imagine I had two bad cameras though it is possible... However, with my experience, the chances it was user-induced are reasonably unlikely.
As for ease of use and general digital camera functioning, it was fine. I will stick to Canon cameras after this.
55 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2010
I did a lot of research before buying this camera. From everything people had written, it was hands down the most durable and waterproof. So far all of this holds true. I have had it a week and taken it jet skiing, in the ocean, and for an extended period of time underwater in a pool. The underwater pics and 720p video are great. Love the quick video record button. People complain about the quality of the pics, but I have already gotten many compliements on how it must be a professional camera. The only 2 downsides are it does take about 3-4 seconds to turn on, and can only take a pic about every 1-2 seconds, so it is not for shooting sports, but it is perfect for vactions as well as anything else since it looks like a normal camera unlike the others (i.e. canon)
on June 25, 2010
Let me start by saying we own and use many camera of all sizes and types. Everything from small point and shoots to high end SLR cameras. We bought this for a trip to Catalina with the thought that it would be good for underwater and general use near the water and at the beach. It is sturdy and well sealed, but the underwater pictures terrible. We have used sealed housings for small point and shoot cameras underwater in the past and the pictures were significantly better. I chose this because I thought it would be easier for my son underwater, not having to mess with putting the camera in a housing. He has used the camera in the housing before underwater and taken great pictures. The regular "dry land" pictures were okay, but nothing special. Less expensive and small Canons and Nikons do a better job with better picture quality.
on May 29, 2010
This camera rocks! It takes fantastic pictures PLENTY fast enough for ANY average user. I'll bet you can't find another camera that you can take underwater and take GREAT MACRO pictures with for under $1700.00. The low raters in here have SLR on the brain or something. We have rattled off thousands of pictures of our new son and they are ALL great. I'm also in the swimming pool industry and get paid 2 or 3 times week to do underwater photography for inspections. This camera will zoom in on the tip of screw or a chip in the plaster with perfect clarity, then pop a button and zoom out wide to get a whole shot of the entire deep end of the pool. It is VERY easy to use in every way too. Switching settings by bumping the top, bottom or sides is a GREAT feature if you have gloves on too. Again, this camera rocks! You want a sports action frame by frame camera? Go buy a SLR or something. You want a great family camera that will take the abuse of kids and a tropical or ski vacation? You found it right here! And no, I don't work for Olympus but I am underwater a whole bunch.
on June 25, 2010
Camera works great, I actually took pictures below 33ft (approximately 60ft) with no problems, when I got deeper than 60 ft the buttons stopped working but the camera started working again when above 33ft. Great pictures and videos, not sure how to get out of video mode once I get in it (other than powering it down), but I guess I'm going to have to read the manual for that, the rest is pretty intuitive though.
on May 11, 2011
Our 15-year-old son received it for a 3-week trip to Central America. He snorkeled in salt water, hiked, tubed, swam, and climbed with the 8010. He lost it twice, once on a river bank after it fell out of his pocket, once in the mud on a another river after he dropped it. He found it, and then used a carabiner to attach it to his shorts. It was in salt, sand, wind, water, mud, and was dropped. It takes beautiful photos, and excellent underwater video. It went where our camera could not go, by far. The telephoto and macro were used for wildlife and insect close-ups. Night time video and sound quality were good. The camera body only suffered a couple of scratches, after use which could have been used in a commercial advertising the product. It had sufficient memory for photo and video with a 16 GB HDSC card.

We are wildlife biologists, and we had a photographer/ecotour guide with us, and we all would like to purchase this camera for ourselves.
on April 9, 2010
PROS:
* WATERPROOF, SHOCKPROOF, FREEZEPROOF, KID PROOF
* GOOD QUALITY 720P VIDEO - LINK TO WATCH SAMPLE VIDEO [...]
* ANOTHER VIDEO - [...]
* EXCELLENT PICS @14 MEGAPIXELS
* GREAT LOW LIGHT PICS
* GREAT LOW LIGHT VIDEO
* ACCELEROMETER FOR GLOVES/SNOW/WATER ETC

CONS:
* MODERATE WRITE TO SD MEDIA EVEN SDHC CLASS 6 COMPARED TO PREVIOUS OLYMPUS 1035SW SUPER FAST WRITE WITH XD MEDIA
* MENU IS A CROSS BAR LIKE PS3 THAT REQUIRES MULTIPLE PUSHES VERSUS FAST ACCESS TO FEATURES
* NO SHUTTER SPEED CONTROL

SUMMARY:

BEST DESTRUCTION PROOF CAMERA YOU CAN BUT THAT WILL GO ANYWHERE AND DO ANYTHING AND STILL KEEP TAKING PICTURES AND VIDEO
on October 21, 2012
OK, let me start by emphasizing this is a POINT AND SHOOT CAMERA. I never understand people who want to take a fully zoomed image at 14 Mega Pixels on a point and shoot and aren't satisfied with image quality, this is NOT a DSLR. Also, if you know what you are doing and correctly adjust your settings, this camera takes amazing photos. I bought this one because I am a mom and I need my everyday camera to be up to a little more abuse. Plus being able to take pictures at the beach and in cold (such as in the snow) opens up a new world of photography. I saw reviews before I purchased the camera saying the shutter speed or time between photos was too slow and that is just not the case. When you buy these new, they come with the firmware upgrade available at Olympus for FREE that makes the time between shots faster. The shutter speed is fine, unless you are trying to take pictures of Hummingbirds on cocaine or something. The 'burst shot' or 'progressive shot' option is great for parents. There ARE SLIGHTLY better tough cams on the market right now, but the price difference is STAGGERING for a few more megapixels (and lets be honest again, this is an everyday use point and shoot... NOT a DSLR. I DOUBT you are using this for professional photography). You HAVE to read the directions to maintain waterproofing, very important or you can damage your components. Also, I have read things about mediocre battery life on here and it not coming with a wall charger. You can buy the battery hub charger from Olympus, NEVER use generic (they pose the risk of exploding). The best way to maintain battery life is to NEVER take out your battery with bare hands! The oils from your hands can make your battery overheat and expand and over time you lose battery life. The only thing I can say to get the best shots is to NOT rely on you camera to take the best photos in Auto. You need to play around with it for a few hours and see what kind of settings get you what type of results. I use the "pet" setting with burst shot on my son, and it takes better photos then the portrait setting because he moves so much. Overall it is easy to use (for me) Just buy it, honestly it's only $150
on February 10, 2011
I drag my stuff through rough conditions, and this camera seems to stand up to the challenge, while also taking excellent pictures.

First off, this camera replaces an SW720, which I had for 3 or 4 years. My son took that one to Vietnam with him, so I got this one to replace it. The 720 had always taken really good pictures for me, and I'd drug it through rainstorms, sub-zero backcountry ski trips, and hauled it in my sweat-soaked cycling jersey across Kansas and Colorado in July, all with no ill effects to the camera. This experience led me to want to get the next generation. Some of the reviews I read made me a little cautious, as there seemed to be some folks with picture quality issues.

My experience to date is that this camera is easier to use than the 720, (and I considered the 720 easy to use), and the picture quality is every bit as good as the 720. I'm not a professional, and I'm sure that this sort of camera doesn't take images that can compare to a high-end SLR. However, it seems to me that once you step into the point and shoot world, this camera is as good as any in terms of the images it captures. Like any of these cameras, the "magic and presets" that they build in make it very easy to take bad pictures if you aren't careful. For example, if you tell the camera you're taking indoor pictures with flo lights, then try taking outdoor pictures in the sun, you're not going to like the images. However, if you learn how to keep the auto settings at the right place, the pictures seem to be excellent.

Regarding ease of use, I really like the layout of the menu, and have come to the point where I can easily make changes to the settings I normally mess with. I do think that the manufactures of these devices should spend more time with people to learn the way people really use cameras, and set up the flow of menus in a way that's better suited to most users. That said, this camera is better than many I've played with, but then again, maybe they're all improving.

The one thing I don't like is the weight - this feels about 50% heavier than the 720. If you're designing a device for rugged use, a good assumption is that weight is an important factor to that user. Figure our a way to reduce weight.

Have taken a couple thousand images so far - will update again after using it for a year.

UPDATE: I've used the camera for over a year now. I retract what I earlier said about image quality - it's not as good as the 720, and certainly not as good as many other cameras I've used. Both the sharpness of the image and the color "mixing" leave something to be desired. I've messed with forcing a lower ISO and everything else I can think of, but have concluded that the quality of the "picture-taking" ability is simply not there.

On top of that, after only 4 months, the camera gave me fits on a long cycling trip. I bought a cheap replacement until I could get home and get this one repaired. The cheap replacement took better images. After getting it home, I had to ship the camera to Olympus for repairs, which took many weeks, and now the camera has begun acting up again. While I initially gave this 4 stars, I have to say that after using it for a year, I'm dropping that rating to 2 stars. It would be one star, but it is still rugged - just takes poor images and seems prone to break.
on December 17, 2010
I have owned lots of digital cameras in my life, from point and shoot to SLR, and even previous Olympus Stylus tough model 850SW.
I really liked the Olympus 850 SW, it was small, took decent pictures, and was tough / waterproof, but the battery life was very short. I "upgraded" to the olympus 8010 because of the HD video. I took the new camera on a trip to Costa Rica and I have HATED it ever since. I have really tried to like this camera but I can't. Here is why:

1. It takes wayyyy too long to turn on. I missed so many shots waiting for it to load.
2. Menu system is painfully slow and inconvenient.
3. 90% of pictures are either washed out, or dark silhouettes.
4. Video is washed out, very desaturated, and choppy.
5. The slightest movement, touch, or zooming causes a very loud rustling noise on your videos.
6. The camera is a brick. Very big and bulky compared to the previous 850sw model.

In my opinion, olympus ruined the tough series camera, slapped larger meaningless specs on the box, and bumped up the price tag. If you are looking for a waterproof video camera, go with a GoPro Hero. If you want a point and shoot that you can get wet. go with a previous model from the tough series such as an 850sw if you can find them online.