Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 306 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 323 reviews
on December 24, 2012
At first I thought... this sucks... but after just ONE use, I am SOLD! In a truck doing 65 with the windows rolled down and the radio up, it captured everything in the conversation. During playback I actually heard extra noises I didn't hear the first time. extra words and grunts and all. Definitely worth it. I connected it to a small bargain $30 recorder and in an instant it works.
on January 10, 2015
It works. I used this with the Olympus WS-822.

I was able to record a conversation in the car with it (along with all the road noise, radio, wind, etc.) I could hear the conversation well enough. I was a little scared when it arrived because my phone didn't have an ear jack. Then my wife looked at the picture on the box, or the booklet or something and said I didn't need an outlet on the phone because it plugs into the recorder, not the phone. You hold the phone up to your ear and the earpiece has a tiny microphone that picks up what is coming out of the phone. After that it is a mystery. I think it either re-transmits it into your ear from the recorder, or you just hear the phone next to your ear, even though you have something plugging the ear canal which should mute anything else.

I had no problem hearing the conversation as it was happening, and there was no delay. The other person had no idea I was using it. This will be great for doing things like canceling cable and getting treated poorly, etc. I only regret that you have to hold the phone to your ear and can't use bluetooth, since hold times are so long you have to actually hold the phone to your ear (or use speakerphone) until someone comes on the line.

Recommend it.
on April 8, 2017
The TP-8 telephone pick-up is a compact device with good sensitivity to the audio signal. I also have the previous version (TP-7) and notice no difference in performance between them. I just wanted to have a spare on hand. They are good for phone interviews. The recordings are of decent quality but are not intended for broadcast although they could be used as such in a pinch. I recommended this device on a journalism listserv, and one reader wrote to me to complain that the recording was picking up only his side of the conversation. After some trouble shooting with him, I said that I didn't want to be facetious, but just to cover all bases, I asked if he was using the device in the same ear as he was using the phone. That was the problem. (Even so, It's odd that the device wasn't picking up the other side of the conversation, given that there was nothing between his two ears. -- I apologize to him if he reads this posting. I'm sure we've all made an equivalent kind of obvious mistake more than once. I have.)
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2015
This works very well. I used to use a mike that had a suction cup but I guess that that worked on older technology.

This one has an earbud that has both a mike (outside the ear) and a speaker (inside the ear). I find that it works best with a telephone headset with the earphone speakers over the ears and a stalk microphone to speak into. These are two separate systems. The headset for the phone plugs into the phone. The earbud plugs into your digital recorder. This combo works very well and keeps your hands free to take notes or to thumb through questions.

I use this to record conversations by phone for keeping for posterity, or for writing a book.
on August 15, 2017
It's a very simple setup and operation, and it does a pretty good job of recording both sides of a phone conversation. I do have a few reservations, though. First, it's uncomfortable to wear the earpiece and it makes for increased extraneous noise when it brushes against the phone receiver. Also, there's a pretty big discrepancy in the quality of sound between the user and the person on the other end. The user's sound tends to be a bit muffled and boomy, while the other end of the conversation sounds fairly good, and surprisingly clear. Moreover, it will record both sides adequately, but you have to put up with some discomfort, handling noise and unbalanced sound quality.
on October 17, 2015
Initially, I bought the telephone pick-up microphone to use with a non-Olympus audio recorder, and it didn't work. However, after reading other reviews, I bought an Olympus recorder to pair with this microphone and it works perfectly. It records both sides of a phone conversation very clearly. (Also, I have pretty small ears, and the different sized ear pieces made this comfortable even with my little ears.) This is perfect for recording over the phone interviews, or any other phone conversations that you will want to refer back to. (Legally, you should always inform someone that you are recording the conversation.)
on February 26, 2017
My employer uses computer software to conduct online meetings, but the audio portion is done via a conference call. The video portion can be recorded directly on the computer, but there isn't an easy way to record the audio along with it. This device works great when used under the phone headset. It is plugged directly into the computer using an adapter (Josi Minea PC Headset to 3.5mm Smartphone Adapter: Convert Dual 3.5mm to 3.5mm, PC Computer Headset to Apple iPhone 6 / 6 Plus / 5S / 5C / 5 4S, iPad Air / Mini, Samsung Galaxy S6 / S5 / S4 / S3, Note 4 / 3 Nexus 4, HTC One, Nokia Lumia & most other Smartphones & Tablets), so that the audio and video can be recorded together.
on November 25, 2014
Let me start by saying that I was really sceptical of this microphone, and I only bought it because it was cheap and I was desperate. I'm used to doing interviews via landline phone with a jack that plugs my recorder (an Olympus VN-3100PC) directly into the line, but after going freelance and not being near a landline enough, I needed something that would work on my cellphone. That said... This product is amazing!

I tested it out first at home, in a very quiet area, and it picked up nicely through my phone. But the real test came when I had to take an interview in a loud, bustling hallway. I was having a hard time hearing the conversation as it was, and I was nervous that the recording would be equally terrible. But it came out crisp and clear. You can hear some of the background noise, but the interview is completely audible and even easier to hear now than when I was on the phone conducting it.

The earbud for the microphone is comfortable, and after a couple minutes, you don't even realize it's there. You can't switch your phone easily from ear to ear if your arm gets tired (which happens during long interviews), but a tense shoulder is well worth it to get such a clear recording. I highly recommend this product to anyone—but especially journalists—who need to record on the go. It's a solid pick.
on April 30, 2015
This mic makes it very easy to record phone calls. This is especially helpful when you need to hear both sides of the conversation because you are dealing with a service provider, cable company, government official, an angry customer, etc. and you need to document the interaction. There are countless other uses that are only limited by your imagination.

If you find yourself in any situation where you need to record a phone conversation, this is a very useful tool. Of course, be mindful of your state' s laws as it may be illegal to record conversations in certain states if you don't have consent from both parties. This is not an issue in my state as one party recording is perfectly legal. Again if you ever find that you need to record phone conversations to protect yourself in any type of proceeding this is a very useful tool. I have used it with my iPhone four/six (using the voice memo feature to record a conversation on a landline ) as well as with my Olympus voice recorders (VN 721 and a VN – 722) if I had to record a conversation on my iPhone. In both instances this mic has functioned flawlessly. I have purchased two of them so that I can have one of the office and one for home use.
on June 11, 2014
This telephone pickup works, and it works very well, my only complaint is slight ear discomfort. It's about the size of an ear-bud but the feeling is a bit .. off.

That said, I fully recommend it. I've discovered a nice trick - it makes a VERY handy dictation microphone, without a telephone.
Instead of using a clip-on microphone in a digital recorder or dictaphone, you can simply wear this in your ear, ear-bug style, and dictate. It does a fair job of canceling a lot of background noise but accurately records your voice. In fact it works so well at this I'm surprised no one has tried to market it in this manner.