Industrial Deals Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on January 18, 2018
This product is perfect for my OMD-EM5 because I have big hands. Customer Service was WACK. Product wasn't working properly, sent it back, waited nearly a month, to find out they was out of the product.
on January 9, 2013
This is an incredibly well-designed grip. For that reason alone, for me it's worth the cost. And I'm usually one to complain about high cost in my reviews.

The 2-piece design is an absolute godsend for the OM-D. I leave the handgrip portion on the camera full time, and it improves the handling and feel of the OM-D 100%. Without it, you may never know what you're missing and you may think the handling is fine. It isn't. Once you use the extra handgrip, believe me, you won't go back.

The portrait grip is also quite 'handy' (sorry). It makes the camera very comfortable to hold in portrait position, and gives you a second battery compartment, which is absolutely essential if you're going to be using the camera for an event/wedding (and it helps make the camera look a little more 'substantial' in these situations), or even if you know you'll be out all day. The extra fn buttons on the portrait grip ensure everything is still easy to access when holding the camera this way.

If you buy one accessory for the OM-D, this should be the one. Yes, it's expensive, but your hands (and your sanity) will thank you for it.
on September 30, 2012
The battery holder comes in 2 parts; a grip and battery holder. The grip makes a HUGE difference in the handling of the OMD. The build quality is good. There are inserts to place the rubber connector covers in the grip so that they stay together and don't get lost. The only thing that I don't like is if there is a battery in the camera, you have to detach the grip to take the battery out. I usually keep the battery holder and grip attached together and use 1 battery in the OMD. While $299 may be a bit expensive, it really improves the handling of the OMD by so much that I say that it's a must have for OMD users.
on April 3, 2013
Olympus did this one very well. I thought, as I was putting it on for the first time that it was going to be a little flimsy, but experience using it has shown it is well made and sturdy. I love that I can have the base handle on without the extra battery and portrait handle. More camera manufacturers should be doing this! I never use the bidy anymore without the handle, and when traveling I find the extra battery power is required, considering the short battery life of the E-M5. I really can't think of any bad things to say about this battery grip!
on December 1, 2017
Only received part of the order, returned it.
on February 19, 2015
I give the HLD-6 a qualified 4-star rating. The top part of the grip is a must-have for the OM-D E-M5, which does not have enough of a grip. I use the top part 100% of the time. But the problem is that you have to buy both pieces, and the price is ridiculous. The only reason I bought one is that it was on sale and I had enough in Amazon gift cards to defray the cost. I never use the bottom part of the grip, and I'm sure that's what accounts for most of the price.
on June 27, 2012
The Olympus HLD-6 battery holder is (at the time of writing) a bit pricey. In addition, with a second battery installed it adds weight to what should be a light, nimble camera.

Those points being conceded, this battery grip is a very nice addition to the OM-D camera body.

My major concern (after weight) was that the top grip would interfere with access to the front control button. However this has turned out not to be the case, the control button is easily accessed.

The bottom part of the grip holds the extra battery (not included with the grip) and adds the major weight to the package. However the weight of the grip is well balanced when mounted on the camera and does not impose an undue burden when carrying the camera. When the kit lens (12-50mm) is mounted the weight of the grip is not enough to balance the camera squarely on the bottom of the camera, so the weight added by the grip is not really all that great.

Of course the bottom grip does not have to be attached with the top grip; the top grip can be attached independently and adds nearly no weight to the package. The top grip offers a very secure grip and the shutter button is not overly sensitive.

The Nikon grip for the D300 DSLR was noted for having a hair trigger on the vertical shutter button; the Olympus does not suffer from this malady.

In addition the vertical controls can be locked out to prevent accidental usage when the camera is in landscape mode.

As noted in the technical specs, the grip is, like the camera, weather resistant.

Very nice piece of kit, and it appears that Olympus did not miss a trick when engineering it.

Recommended.

Jim
on December 27, 2013
THE HLD-6 is on my OMD 75% of the time. I really enjoy the extra set of controls on the vertical grip. The only downside is that you have to take the grip completely off if you want to change the battery inside the camera. I usually only put a batter in the handgrip and carry a spare battery in my bag.

I hate to say it but I thought the lock switch on the handgrip was some how locking the vertical grip on the camera. In reality to locks the buttons on the second set of controls on the vertical grip so you don't accidentaly press them.
on May 25, 2016
Good value for Price. Items is as described. Packaging was good with adequate protection. Fast shipping. Everything as promised!
on August 29, 2013
Pricey, but i think it's worth it. If you're going to be investing in the whole system, why not get a product that adds a satisfying heft to your camera, and has the flexibility of more customizable function buttons, portrait shutter release, and the ability to extend your shooting with the extra switchable battery? The 3rd party clamp-on holders looked cheesy to me, so the extra $100 or so was worth it.