Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Showing 1-10 of 3,110 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,415 reviews
on February 9, 2012
Note: I give the 4 star rating because I believe that there is not a perfect juicer out there. The centrifugal and masticating both have their pluses and minuses. so picking one or another is always compromise. Here is my view.

I did a lot of research on this, after, as many of you, saw the film Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I'd always been interested in juicing, and had a 30 year old Vita-mix that I could never get the results I wanted out of (not the machine's fault), so a dedicated juicer really made sense.

I did NOT want to make fruit juices! I wanted to stay away from large amounts of sugars. I also realized how little vegetables our family really ate, especially the leafy green ones, so that pointed me towards the masticating type of juicer. While I have no doubt with centrifugal types of juicers leafy greens can be done satisfactorily with a little strategy, my research was clear that the masticating type was preferable for leafy greens. A centrifugal juicer works better on softer fruits (so they say).

My next requirement was due to my DNA... I do not have the cleaning gene sequence, apparently, so I wanted something that was easy to clean, and my research told me a centrifugal model would NOT meet my needs. If it was too tough to clean it will never get used (I love my Cuisinart, but it is lonely, spending time in the cupboard, for that reason).

So I got the Omega 8006, because it matched my kitchen better and did not have sales tax vs the 8004 (basically same model, chrome vs white). I was chicken to spend the extra $100 on the upright VTR350, as I wasn't sure how we might use it.

So, after 1 month+, using twice a day (minimum), here are my thoughts.

We love it! We enjoy juice multiple times a day (and my 16 year old son, who complains about everything, drinks it, albeit begrudgingly). We've taken it on the road to a soccer tournament, and drank juice away from home as well. It has a permanent home on the kitchen counter now (With a wife that has to "put everything away", that is a great indicator to how important it is to us now). We often juice as a family, with my wife washing the veggies, my son cutting them up into smaller than needed pieces (<rolling eyes> I guess he likes the knives) and me feeding the juicer.

Some of the pluses
-If it fits in the chute, it can usually handle it. Harder produce may need cutting.
-The pulp is dry enough that I've never looked and thought "I could get more juice out of that"
-The motor has NEVER given the slightest inclination of straining.
-4 main parts, very easy to put together and disassemble.
-No heat build up in the juice.
-It cleans up relatively quickly (or just drop the disassembled parts in a bowl of water for cleanup later, don't let it dry)
-Fairly quiet. You can have a conversation standing over it (and we often do).
-We now have massive amounts of compost for the garden.
Basically, it just does the job!

Cons (not really cons to me, but some things to realize)
-The chute is a bit small.
-Hard produce will go easier and quicker if sliced
-This is not like the commercials where they toss a bunch of veggies into the chute and WHIRRRRRRRR: Juice! It is slower and is more methodical.
-You DO have to clean it.
-Fresh produce takes time to purchase, and is not cheap. Do some research, and you might find organic produce worth the cost.
-The plastic on the output cups is opaque and can stain from greens, carrots or beets if you don't wash it good.
-If you are making juice for 2 or 3, the cup is not quite big enough to hold it all.

Some of our experiences that might help you out:
-You will quickly see the size of the "bite" the auger takes out of hard produce. I then cut the produce accordingly. While I saw a youtube video saying this juicer is not good for carrots, I find carrots are no problem, I usually halve them lengthwise (quarter for really large ones), drop them in the chute and they feed themselves.
-I can make a simple juice (carrots, apple, cucumber & kale for 1) from a clean counter with produce in the fridge to cleanup in just under 10 minutes. You might get faster on the juice part with a centrifugal, but the cleanup evens out.
-I read of people complaining about making "applesauce". Understand, this works better with fresh and crisp vegetables. Mushy or older produce may not work as well. As far as apples, Granny Smith FTW!
-When you do encounter something that mushes (Some romaine, cucumbers, or older apples) follow the soft up with a hard (carrot, beet, celery) as that usually pushes the soft stuff thru easily.
-The juice has plenty of fiber in it. Trust us on that one!
-If you can handle ginger, never be without it! It's a brilliant sweetener, and a little goes a long ways. Along with lemons, can really help some people get over the "green taste".

I rarely write reviews, so I hope you understand how happy we are with the Omega 8006, and I hope I've given you some information to help make a choice, because, really, it's a tough one. There are a lot of juicers out there, and I think the differences may be more personal and the type of produce you use than actual performance of the machine. So good luck!
5150+ comments| 5,263 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 16, 2012
I was really enjoying this juicer until it broke around 2 months after getting it. I was doing my normal morning juice and I heard a big crack. The juice stopped coming out. I couldn't see exactly what was wrong so I took the drum off. The screen cone unit had cracked in two. Vegetables had got caught under the screen...between the screen and the cone, and it kept building up until it exploded under pressure. Broke and unusable after just 2 months. I was disappointed that I would lose my morning juice routine for several weeks, but I knew the company would take care of me since it's brand new. I took pictures and a video of the breakage and emailed the company. I haven't heard anything and it's been 10 days with no contact from the company. I'd give 4 or 5 stars for the juicer, but I give 1 star now for lack of contact from company over this breakage for 2 month old product.

Update 1: Early December 2012. Nearly 2 months later and I still have not juiced at all. I still have not heard from the company. No response to my multiple inquiries. I called and was put on hold and then told by an automatic voice I'll be cut off and to call back later. I sent off the part blindly to the company along with a letter. I have little expectation of a response. If I hear anything, I will post it here. Even if I was willing to pay for the part, it's out of stock on the website and other reviews imply it's been out of stock a very very long time. And I gave $900 to this company. 2 for gifts and 1 for me.

Update 2: Jan 12, 2013 (3 months after original review): This will be my final update. I am moving past this company and this incredibly insightful incident and will no longer consider Omega an option for any further business again in my life. I'm bewildered to report this company has committed the most loathsome customer service dirty deed. It was not ignoring the multiple emails I sent them. It was not deleting my review on their own website. It was not hanging up on me 3 times after waiting on hold. No, what they did that is unforgivable was to ignore the typed letter I sent along with the broken part in the package! I sent it about 2-3 weeks before xmas. You can take my $900 and ignore my phone calls and emails, but you do not ignore my personalized typed letter with the broken evidence included. I can honestly say this is one of the most nauseating customer service acts I've personally experienced.

Update 3: May 16, 2003. Sometime late in March I received a screen replacement from the company. No letter was included. No apology or acknowledgement of my letter to them. Small box and part. It was sent slow (media?) mail possibly as it took 6 weeks. I checked online tracking and it was sent 3-4 days after my update 2 above. I use the juicer daily now and make sure to cut limes into tiny pieces to prevent repeat breakage. End result is good. My opinion of the product and company stands. Having a weak link in a strong chain still makes it a weak chain. Customer service is abysmal. Someone advised in their comment to post a nasty facebook post to get reaction out of them...it worked for them. It's a sad comment on a company's reputation when politeness and thoughtful letter writing do not engage results but public humiliation does. This extends to our whole culture as well. Our companies are a product of our culture.
5150+ comments| 978 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 13, 2013
I bought this juicer on a whim, sort of. I heard of a deal where I could get this for $206 shipped as opposed to the $299 price tag. Somehow, it seemed so much more tempting. Suddenly juicing and juice fasts are all the rage. Maybe not suddenly, but I am noticing people talk about them more and more. I began my research when I heard of this deal. Even at $206 I wasn't about to jump in and buy something that made no sense to me.

Like one reviewer mentioned, the cleanup is where he falters; this is my case as well. If using this thing, cleaning this thing, and storing this thing are nothing short of a pain in the rear, I won't use it much more than a few times. The novelty will wear off and I'll want my counter back.

Cleaning:
This is a huge deal to just about everyone, I think. There are 8 pieces that you will have to clean after juicing; pusher, collection bowl (2), juicing screen, auger, hopper (funnel), drum cap, and the drum (the part the auger sits in). If you use the sieve then you have to clean that. Tear down and rinse takes less than 4 minutes (includes time for water to get warm and me to dump the pulp extracted). Not counting any time for anything else, the 2 minute clean up is indeed pretty accurate. I let the parts dry in a dish rack until I am ready to use them again.

Storing:
I am not as limited on counter space as some are, but I don't like cluttered counters. With a mixer, coffee pot, canisters for whatever, and a toaster oven, I am pretty well set on counter space. I feel as though this doesn't exactly spare space but it is not so overwhelmingly huge that you feel like you couldn't work on the counter in front of the machine (if stored against the wall with the logo facing you). If space is an issue, the built in handle is fantastic and you can easily drop this into a cupboard. If you're juicing multiple times a day then that would get tedious.

Noise:
If you've ever owned a Magic Bullet then you will be pleased with the noise level. I understand the RPMs are like night and day, but the Bullet is so loud I always felt bad using it in the morning. I can have a conversation on the phone while juicing and not feel horrible about it.

Fruit Juice:
After doing much research I was learning that masticating juicers were great for greens whereas the centrifuge juicers were better for fruit. I've never owned another juicer so I can't speak to that. I will say that I understand where the design lends to greens more so than fruit (like oranges or lemons). Oranges in this thing tend to juice pretty well but I think having to cut the peel and rind off is a pain. I think I'd rather eat my orange. If only to curb the green flavor, I will put ½ orange in the machine. Apples did well, which seems to be completely different than many peoples' experiences. I used green apples and have recently bought some cameo apples to try. I tried a banana and I guess it went okay. I think if I froze the banana then it may have been better but that was just a spur of the moment idea that I don't plan to make a big part of my juicing. Blueberries did surprisingly well but I understand these are better in a blender. To each their own. Those are all the fruits I've tried in 2 days since owning this machine.

Greens:
This thing was supposed to be great for wheat grass. I must have done something wrong because the grass went in and quickly just hung out around the auger until other things pushed it through. I know I got the juice, but for straight wheat grass, I am not sure. This could be user error. Kale is awesome. It is easy, it does squeak a bit but overall, most of my juice has been had through the use of kale. Carrots, this thing juices carrots very well. I don't seem to have lumpy juice and the collection of pulp suggests they feed and release quite well. Cucumbers are different. They seem to do just fine but I did the wheat grass then cucumber next and I don't think that was really going well for me. I guess I need to think about the grass, kale, cucumber, then carrot. There was something said about rotating what you're juicing and I think I understand the reason for the concept. I have not tried any other greens yet.

I don't know if I'll set out on a juice fast anytime soon. I don't think it is safe to jump into that without more research. This model does really do well and I have learned that there is no real one-stop shop for a juicer that does everything well. I think if this does fruit okay and greens well, that I would rather have greens be easy and fruit secondary since I think the health benefits are better from greens. I understand the VERT or VRT model does fruit better and still does greens well, but I think people say that for leafy greens the 8006 is better. One could go crazy trying to really figure it all out. If you just want fruit juice then I think you need more research though. I don't believe this is the machine for you.

Juicing Time:
Juicing on the VRT is quicker, no doubt (all the videos prove that). Reading reviews and watching videos is important because some of the poor reviews I read on the 8006 and VRT model make me realize that some people just don't research. That is okay, but then try to understand that many of the questions and concerns can be answered through even 30 minutes online. With a purchase that has this kind of price tag, 30 minutes is nothing compared to the headache of having to hate what you bought and return it. For me, the juicing time isn't so much of a thing; the prep time is. Prep time, in my opinion between the two, is quite similar. While the VRT has a large chute, I don't really feel like you're saving as much time. If you can find a juicer where you can toss in a quarter orange with rind and peel then we can talk about speed.

In the end, I can see that providing I can keep up with the trips to the market every couple of days then I will do okay with having this as a usable kitchen tool for a long time to come. It is important not to try and buy your produce with the intention of it keeping for over a week (at least that is what I hear) so trips to the store every few days are probably in store for anyone who wants to juice at least twice a day. Any juicer will require this commitment unless you have a flourishing garden in your yard that produces everything you could possibly need. I do not so it is Whole Foods and Fresh Market for me!

One last thing, I read this was made in the USA. I don't think that is the case now. There is still a 15-year warranty, but my box clearly states Korea. Now, I didn't do well in geography and I rely heavily on my GPS whenever I leave the house, but I'm pretty sure Korea isn't part of the USA.
review image
33 comments| 259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 26, 2015
Was so excited to get this. Started juicing wheatgrass as soon as I unwrapped and assembled it. It managed to juice almost 2oz before this horrible cracking sound, and the brand new device was broken. Unable to juice anything else. Within about 2 minutes of using. Sorely disappointed. Would not recommend. Wheatgrass is incredibly soft... I cant imagine trying to juice a carrot in this thing.
review imagereview image
11 comment| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 18, 2016
Do yourself a favor read 1 star reviews on this juicer plastic screen that fits over auger self destructs in about 2 months or less.
Replacement cost 130.00$ . It cannot handle the pressure going between it and the auger. Poor Design.
review image
0Comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 22, 2017
the Juicer juices very well. the cleaning, preparing, and juicing taking too much time.
My Vitamix is more efficient and diverse.
on February 15, 2017
Good juicer but does not expel a large amount of juice from the items as my previous Breville juicer did. Also a little annoying that I have to cut everything up because the shoot is so narrow. I do however love the attachments that come with it and the fact that it is small and does not take up a lot of space on my counter and it is not loud like I've seen other reviews say. Overall a good product.
on May 11, 2017
The juicer itself is very likely a great item for those who only juice periodically (like once in a long while)....if you juice daily for a health condition, do NOT expect it to hold up.....and DEFINITELY do not expect their customer service to respond to warranty requests. They did for the first two times and then these last two times NO response, and I've had to buy a replacement part when it should've been free with their warranty for defective parts. I have had the screen replaced now 4 times in 2 years and had the chute replaced as well. I am not juicing rocks or wood, so spinach and carrots shouldn't be too much for this expensive juicer. Just very very disappointed. Included pics of the broken parts and one replacement.
review imagereview imagereview image
on January 22, 2017
I would have given it 5 stars but the auger show some signs of wear after some fibrous roots such a turmeric and ginger. the once sharp grooves at the extraction end have become rounded after uses. I will keep an eye on it. Other than that small detail it works just great and have had no problem. It juices everything I put in the beast. The other thing is that you HAVE TO CUT UP your fruit and veggies to fit the tube or they get stuck, this take a little time but it's not big deal for me, just saying. It extracts plenty of juice and over all I am really pleased with the unit.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 4, 2018
The Omega juicer is a winner! This has been a long year of “trials” and fails. We went through four non-electric wheatgrass juicers which resulted in multiple returns. Each had its own set of flaws and problems. If anyone can design an effective non-electric juicer, there is a gold mine in this area because of high demand. But until that designer and product quality appears, the Omega juicer is the winner. It actually does juice Wheatgrass well, along with a lot of other edibles. The juice is remarkably sweet and delicious since the essence of the goodness is well extracted out of whatever enters this fine machine.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse