Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 11-20 of 4,877 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,252 reviews
After reading reviews of many different brands of pedometers, I decided to purchase this one: not only was it rated highly here, but also it got rave reviews from many users on the exercise web site I frequent. I've never owned a pedometer before (well, other than the freebie from the McDonald's promotion several years ago); although I exercise daily, I'm pretty sedentary otherwise, and so I was hoping that wearing a pedometer would encourage me to move more throughout the day.

Now that I have owned this pedometer for several weeks, I can report that I am happy with it overall. It has become like an extra appendage--it goes with me everywhere, and most of the time, I barely notice it. I was dismayed by my extremely low step totals during my first few days of use, but I've already started to make progress. Although I do like the pedometer, there are definitely some features that could be better, so I have provided a detailed breakdown below.

APPEARANCE: The pedometer is a sleek little thing about the size of a flattened egg. The edges are rounded, so I find it comfortable to hold in my pants pocket, although a bit smaller would certainly be nice. The main step display is large an easy to read; there is a smaller time display as well. I have never accidentally pushed the reset button, but I have accidentally pushed the mode button.

CLIPS: As other reviewers have mentioned, the main clip is definitely bulky and could've been better designed. However, I have never had any problems with it falling off when it is clipped to my waistband, and I don't find it to be uncomfortable. I also find that the smaller, safety clip is a bit bulky and awkwardly designed, and the way it is attached to the lanyard makes it stick way out (check out the photos that users have submitted). However, a BIG plus about this pedometer is that you have the option of using it in the clip--attached anywhere on your body--OR simply tucking it in your pocket or even a handbag. As far as I know, no other models offer that kind of flexibility.

SETUP: The initial setup of the unit is very basic. Once you put in the battery (included; there is even a little "screwdriver" tool for opening the battery case), you are automatically prompted to set the time (be sure to set the AM/PM correctly) and then your weight. Next, you need to consult the manual for instructions on setting your stride length--you simply need to take 10 steps at your normal pace and measure the distance that you travelled.

FEATURES: In addition to daily steps, this pedometer also keeps track of aerobic steps (steps taken after 10 minutes of continuous walking), calories (probably not accurate), and distance in miles. Each of these statistics is kept in memory for the previous seven days, a nice little feature to have when you are trying to keep track. Another feature which I really like is that the pedometer automatically resets to zero at midnight, so you never have to remember to reset it yourself. (For those of you night owls, you can still keep stepping after midnight--your steps will just go towards the next day's totals.)

ACCURACY: I have found that when walking at a steady pace, this pedometer is extremely accurate, regardless of whether I have it clipped to my waist, in my pocket, or wherever. However, there are some situations in which the Omron HJ-112 undercounts or even fails to count steps as all. The manual notes that "The unit may not be able to count the steps correctly in the following cases: 1) When you walk at an inconsistent pace, 2) When you shuffle or wear sandals, and 3) When you fail to walk consistently in a crowded place." Furthermore, it also notes that the pedometer will not begin counting until you have been walking for FOUR seconds. So, what does this mean in actual practice? For me, it means that when I am doing things where I am moving back-and-forth with frequent starts-and-stops such as emptying the dishwasher, putting laundry away, etc., the pedometer frequently does not advance AT ALL during this time. I have come to accept this as a minor glitch; it simply motivates me to move more. Others, however, might view this as a more serious flaw.

So, for me this pedometer was a great purchase. I'm convinced that despite its glitches, its accuracy is still well above average, and I don't think you will be able to find the convenience of being able to carry it in your pocket/purse in any other brand available. Definitely recommended but with some reservations as outlined above.
on February 19, 2009
I bought this unit based on the good reviews here, however, I have found its accuracy to be inconsistent. I tried using it in my pants pocket and it was wildly innacurate, more or less doubling my step count. On my belt or waist band it was better depending on where I placed it, i.e. front back or side, but it would still add extra steps no matter where it was. One caveat to this review, I'm recvovering from a stroke and my gait is unsteady, so this might be part/all of the problem, but I thought these electronic sensor types where supposed to be better than the old mechanical pendulum type. Well, not in my case.
on April 23, 2016
I bought this pedometer in 2012 and it's worked so well, I've purchased two others as gifts. It is accurate, lightweight, and extremely easy to use. I put it in my pocket or sometimes tuck it in my waistband and attach it with the cord just to make sure I don't lose it. I've also dropped it several times and it's still ticking. I could not recommend it enough.
review image
on December 22, 2013
I bought this pedometer about six weeks ago, after I accidentally put my previous one (same brand and model, bought about 7 years ago) in the wash. Oops!

First, my overall impression: this is a great pedometer, that does what it's supposed to do, and gives you good feedback as to how much exercise you are getting. I particularly like that it records "aerobic" walking, as well as total steps for the day.

I am currently using the pedometer to monitor my progress after a knee replacement several months ago. I wear the pedometer in my side pocket. (I've never tried clipping it on my belt, attaching it to a handbag strap, etc, so I don't know how well it works when worn that way.)

Next, two slightly annoying things:

1) The pedometer obeys its own strict guidelines as to what counts as "aerobic" exercise: 10 minutes of continuous walking, with a minimum of 60 steps per minute. After every 10 minutes, you are allowed a 1-minute rest. So, if you stop briefly during the first ten minutes--for example, waiting for the light to change at a crosswalk--you need to keep "marching" if you want your aerobic exercise to count. (Since 60 steps per minute is a pretty slow pace, for practical purposes I find I can stop just about long enough to tie my shoe.)

Once you understand the pedometer's rules, though, you can make this work for you. For example, if you are doing a series of exercises at the gym--a little treadmill, a few sets of step-ups, some "stepping patterns"--you can string these together for a total aerobic workout, just so long as you don't dilly-dally going from one exercise to the next.

2) The pedometer will not count steps accurately for "stop-and-go" activity, or if you are frequently stepping from side to side, as in a kitchen or other small work space. I did a few trials indoors, counting 100 steps and checking against the pedometer. The pedometer recorded only about 20% of the steps when I was working in my kitchen, where the appliances are about four steps away from each other. It registered about 50-80% of my steps if my "chores" took me from room to room.

Outdoors, on a walking path, the accuracy is much better. I counted up to 400 steps, and the pedometer was accurate to within 5-10 steps.

Other features: Unlike my older model, this pedometer's 7-day memory retains not only your number of "aerobic steps", but also the number of "aerobic minutes." This makes it easy to tally up your total aerobic exercise time at the end of the week.

This pedometer also functions as a watch. You have to set it up, of course, but the direction booklet is clear. The battery lasts about 6 months--at least it did in the nearly identical older model. The display registers steps and miles, calories burned, and grams of fat burned. There does not appear to be a metric conversion mode for total distance, stride length, and weight.

I am very pleased with this pedometer. I have used "freebie" pedometers given out with a wellness-type programs, and found them very disappointing. I would buy the same model again, but expect to have many years of service from this one.
on February 21, 2013
works well, easy to use ..... this is my second Omron ped, (the first stopped working within one year) .... one feature that could be changed would be if the face was "upside down" so that the person wearing it could read the numbers without being a contortionist or taking it off; who cares if others can read it? .... because of the positioning of the belt clip I assume that I will be losing this one at some point; too much of the unit extends above the belt and frequently when removing a shirt or sweater the pedometer comes off with the piece of clothing; have a feeling that the people who design these peds for Omron have never actually worn one for an extended period of time ..... it is easy to set up and the past 7 day measurement history is a nice feature
on June 10, 2014
I purchased this pedometer to participate in my employer's six week walking program. The pedometers they offered were of low quality. I have participated in other employer-sponsored walking programs, cycled through numerous, cheap pedometers provided (e.g., not accurate, unclipped easily, bulky, stops working!) and knew I had to have my own. The Omron HJ-112 is one of the best standard pedometers. It is accurate (It does not count steps if you just shuffle your feet), easy to use (after customizing the settings), easy to wear (does not unclip easily, has other wearing options), is slimmer than other pedometers. It does reset itself each day. That keeps you honest. Just remember to note your daily steps before midnight. I am aware of other products available that track fitness activity in much more detail and syncs the information to your computer. Such devices are TMI for my current purposes; the Omron HJ-112 fits my needs perfectly. I will continue to use this pedometer beyond my six week walking program. Thanks, Omron!
on August 2, 2014
These pocket Pedometers are the best ways to keep track of how many steps you get in a day. We are all supposed to get at least 10,000 steps a day. I have M.S. and was lucky to get in 300 steps a day. I was so worried about it that when I first bought this pedometer I kept it in my pocket every day and still do several years later. I now have worked my way up to an average of 2500 to 3500 steps a day.

One of the great things about this is knowing that when I reach into my pocket I can instantly see how many steps I have and push myself to make another lap around the grocery store or park further away grabbing a shopping cart for support. I stand and walk in place during commercials on TV to get in more steps and the novelty of looking at this thing and keeping track of my steps never wears off. I value it as much as my watch... maybe more. I am healthier and move more because I can actually see what I am doing in a day verses trying to convince myself I did enough. This is probably the most inexpensive investment I have made in my health. I wouldn't be without it.

I am 62 years of age and have gone from being mostly bed and chair bound to much more active. I am so much healthier even though I am not able to get in the recommended 10,000 steps. Don't worry about what other people are doing. Just try and beat your own records! It really is true about "A body at rest tends to stay at rest... and a body in motion tends to stay in motion. Keep moving. Even if it is only walking in place while you do the dishes, brush your teeth or walk or dance during TV commercials.
on July 25, 2014
This is the first pedometer I have ever owned. I was curious about how far I was walking in an area that could not easily be measured, so I purchased this pedometer. Setup is not too difficult--you measure the distance of several steps and divide by the number of steps and enter this number into the pedometer. I walk uphill, downhill, and on flat ground so I took an average of this as well.

The first thing I noticed was that the pedometer holder depth was too short. When placed on either my waistband or my belt it constantly fell off and began to swing, because it was not long enough to stay put. As soon as the pedometer began to work its clip upward so that it tipped sideways, the distance measure would be wrong for the day.

Secondly, a few months after I began using it daily, the safety clip that is a secondary attachment to secure the pedometer broke off and there was nothing to hold it safely. I soon fashioned my own devise to tie the pedometer from belt loop to belt loop.

Lastly, when I walked the same distance (the same path) at the same speed several days in a row, the measurement would be off by up to 0.4 of a mile from one day to the next, repeatedly. So I question its accuracy.

On the positive side:
It does not seem to be effected by the weather since I have used it in 1.2 degrees F. to 90 degrees F. And in rain wind and snow, uncovered.

It also keeps good time.

It has excellent visibility in both number size & screen color contrast.

I have used this pedometer for over a year and have replaced the battery once and it is still working well.
on August 31, 2013
I have been using an Omron hJ-303 for a couple of years and found it to be extremely accurate. I liked so much I gave one to my sister as well. A few days ago I lost it, and when I tried to buy a replacement on Amazon I found out that it is now selling for over 85$, which was an unpleasant surprise, as I had paid 29$ for my other 2.
Hoping to save some money and trusting the Omron brand I purchased the Hj-112. I found it to be pretty inaccurate. I tested it by putting it in my pocket and walking 100 steps several times and then stopping to check the count. Every time the pedometer would count at least 15-20 steps more than I had taken.
I later saw that unlike the Hj-303 the Hj-112 has only dual axis tech, instead of the tri-axis found in the hj-303. In the end i found the Hj-303 on another site for 40$ and got that and I am returning the hj-112. I would also point out that the product dimensions listed on the site are wrong. The pedometer is not 2.1 inches long and 1.1 wide; it's more like 2.8 inches by 1.8 inches.
on April 14, 2014
I have had my pedometer less than a month. It has been fairly accurate and I've been mostly happy with it, except one huge thing. The clip doesn't go deep enough on my waistband and the thing falls off ALL THE TIME. I bend over and stand up (I have a 4 year old, I do this a lot!) and it falls off. I start to move quickly, it falls off. I pick up my son, it falls off. Mind you, I'm not that large of a person and I've got it as far down as it will go. I tried putting it in a pocket - not comfortable or practical. It fell. It's been incredibly frustrating, and as of yesterday, it just stopped counting steps all together. I reset it, nothing. I reset it again, nothing. It's just sitting at 0. I've had enough. I'm going to find a different one.