Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Russell Dickerson PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(5 star). See all 103 reviews
on March 27, 2017
Even though it is an older book it was interesting and entertaining. It kind of had the attitude that the newcomers are ruining the town. But expats don' t seem to remember that they were newcomers too at one point and if they found paradise why shouldn't someone else. Still a good book to see the changes of the town and to see the challenges.
on April 22, 2017
Read this book several years ago, loaned it to a friend and then it recently came back to me. What fun! as I was just thinking about SMA and possibly moving there! Love Tony Cohan's writing style, the beautiful descriptions and overall fluidity are like a magnificent, magical journey through Mexican time and space. Recommended reading for anyone interested in the colonial heartland.
on May 18, 2011
I'm taking my sweet time reading this book but it is the type of book where you want to savor every word. Tony Cohan is a wonderful writer. Every sentence paints a picture.

Although many years have passed since this book was written--and I hear that San Miguel Allende is now much more of a tourist town, I felt as if I was there with Tony and Masako. I definitely hope to visit this town and see it in the same light that Tony did.

For anybody who wants to taste a bit of the past and experience a unique getaway, this is a wonderful book. A great escape.
on September 11, 2006
I think he nails it.

It is the Mexico of those 15 years, and it is the gringo and gringa he brought to it. It was no paradise, but it was a great place to stare at the walls and the sky to draw closer to one's real wants. His discovery of the altiplano and its various cultures was for him like the end of Candide's philosophical journey. This was it for Cohan, a place to tend to his humanity, perhaps to finally understand it. In the end he and his wife only fear too much "progress". The status quo works well for them, both place and age appropriately.

Obviously, it is a work for those of us who have experienced Colonial Mexico, contemplated living there, but decided not. However, it is also a book for those who have looked beyond their own accident of place of birth, for those who have wondered what might have been, or could be. His characters might just help with the answers. They are varied hybrids, interesting all, of that singular experience called San Miguel de Allende.

And the house on Calle Flor? Well, it's the story within the story---all you ever need to know about Mexico revealed as the story of a house.
on September 12, 2003
I bought my copy of this book in San Miguel de Allende. I was on a two week trip, working with a mission group in a nearby village, but staying in a bed and breakfast in San Miguel and attending church services in a small neighborhood church. I loved the place, and the people and wondered what it would feel like to actually live in the region full time. With great humor, as well as love for the place and the those who inhabit it, Mr. Cohan let me know. This book is marvelously full of color, both in the descriptions of places, and in the feelings it gives. He captures much of what I felt as a urbanite suddenly finding himself in a much more peaceful much less hurried place. San Miguel de Allende is a magical place. Mr. Cohan's writings capture at least a portion of that and allowed me bring it home.
on October 2, 2013
Plans were already in play to visit San Miguel when I saw this book
on line for sale. I finished reading it in three days before my visit.
What a fantastic account of their life there! I so enjoyed visiting
the places he wrote about, while also visiting my sister who
lives 6 months of the year there.
on March 5, 2014
In the vein of "A Year in Provence", this duo has taken us on a lovely, languid journey and stimulated a flux of Expats from here to there, which may or may not be a boon to Mexico. How can you not love a book so full of description, that you ache to share it?
on January 14, 2016
Love this book and this is the second copy I've bought after lending out the first one too many times.
on May 10, 2013
This book captures the essence of life in Mexico as a foreigner. The magical pull into the beautiful culture. Why we stay. Why we leave and can hardly wait to come back. It is almost a crime to write it so well because it will attract others to our secret paradise.
on November 21, 2014
It's exactly what I expected & wanted. A paperback in good shape, no markings, & it came before I left for Mexico!