Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Digital Albums Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 110 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 205 reviews
on March 7, 2012
Like many people, my 1st Def Leppard album (Yes, album) was Pyromania. I loved it so much that I just had to hear more from this exciting new band. So, I bought this album and found a much more Raw sound that I liked even better than Pyromania!

Some years went by and much of my record collection got lost. So, I was excited to get this again.

Well, I didn't love it as much as I used to. But, I think that's mostly a function of being a lot older. Somehow, a lot of stuff just doesn't seem as AWESOME as it used to.

Don't get me wrong tho', this still rocks. It's still worth the money. And, if I were a classic rock DJ, "Rocks Off" would definitely be on my deep cuts rotation.
on March 10, 2017
If you dont have this and love the Leppard, get it!!!!!!
on May 10, 2017
Have always loved this album, so glad to have gotten it back. No CD has matched up to this, this is their best, high n dry is their second best
on July 18, 2016
great album.
on March 11, 2017
2ND best "Def Leppard" album behind "pyromania"
on December 5, 2012
This is one of the first "Albums" that Def Leppard put out. The music is wonderful and the band is on their game for On Through the Night. A compliment for the Def Leppard fan.
on August 24, 2017
Sounds like good classic rock from that era. Loved it from the moment I heard it.
on January 24, 2014
I've been wanting to hear this since 10th grade (1982) when a classmate brought the cassette to school. The cover art was really cool and I just kept putting off getting a hold of it. This is great stuff> Joe Elliot's vocals are not as raspy but I think that's because of the way the record was produced. These are great heavy metal / hard rock songs from 1979 (when it was recorded) and I can't really find any weak points on the entire record. This record is a nice foreshadowing of the genius of "Pyromania" that would come just a few years later.
on August 22, 2017
Very fast shipping. Album was just as described! Would definitely purchase again from the seller! Thank you!
on May 26, 2008
I had this on vinyl back in the day, but my other DL records were on so much they pretty much eclipsed this one as far as spin time. I just bought it last week again on CD and am really enjoying it. I think it's much better than just a decent debut by an up and coming band, or an interesting look at DL before they hit the sound they would run with. Anyone who heard this at the time it came out would have to have realized this band was going no where but up, up, up.
In fact if this album had gotten the production it deserved DL could have gotten an even earlier launch. As it happened though, hearing just this single debut album made John "Mutt" Lange to realize that DL was a band worth working with. He had produced both Highway to Hell and Back In Black, for AC/DC and had an undeniable role in getting AC/DC to superstardom. I can't think of any other music producer with 2 diamond albums by different bands to their credit, diamond being sales of 10M just domestically. With this, you will hear what made up his mind to work with this awesome then hard-rockin' band: a great cohesive sound bursting with talent and a powerful synergy within the band that allowed them to explore some different directions equally impressively.
This album is completely different from other DL in ways other reviewers have covered. It is not the glam sound DL wound up with on Pyro-which is also a great album, by the way, and it's completely--like night and day--different even from High 'N' Dry, with Lange producing, which came out right after this the very next year. (I think High 'N' Dry rivals Back In Black, by AC/DC, and I'm not even a 'fan' per se of Def Leppard--don't have most of their CD's, etc.) This is straight heavy metal, with pounding stick work, crashing chords, sizzling riffs and ripping, over the top guitar solos.
This album is usually considered as a definitive album of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. What that means is--wierd as it sounds--overall you'll hear something much closer to Judas Priest a la their British Steel album. In fact, some songs would have fit seamlessly on to that album if you just dubbed Rob Halford's vocals over Joe Elliott's. Wierd to think, I know, and it makes this disk a real audio adventure when you remember that it's actually Def Leppard that you're listening to--with basically the same line up that does the songs you are familiar with!
The fact that DL could sound so good in three completely different ways, in three consecutive albums--bang, bang, bang--just speaks to the talent of this great band all the more. So get this, put it on, turn it up and treat yourself to the first of those different, great sounds.
55 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse