Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 2,398 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,921 reviews
on July 12, 2013
One of my new favorite books of 2013!! Such an emotional story!! I found myself teary-eyed or crying for more than half of it! I have to credit my BFF with recommending this book because based upon the cover and synopsis, I would have not normally read it!! Thank you Megan!!!

She is 30, he's 16! She was hired by his parents to continue tutoring him while they are on vacation for the summer. He lost time at school due to cancer but he is now in remission and needs to get caught up. Not one ounce of romance to start out! (Ok, he has the usual 16 yo attraction to her, but nothing on her part!) It immediately starts out with the plane crash which had me white-knuckling my kindle!! The crash itself, getting to shore...gut wrenching!! Then slowly reality hit and they realized they had to figure out how to survive. Shelter, fire, food...they had to do it all! Her suitcase with her date book washed up on shore so she was able to keep track of the dates...they celebrated every holiday and birthday during their time on the island! As their need for survival grew, so did their relationship. I won't give away anything, but let's just say it wouldn't be considered a romance without someone getting together, right??!! So much happened on the island I can't begin to describe, but I loved all of it! The good, the bad, the painful!!

I LOVE the fact that half the book was on the island and the other half was their life after they got off the island! Reading how their relationship changed, how they both matured in so many ways. How much they needed each other. Everything was just a ball of emotion!! Thank you Tracey Garvis-Graves for a masterpiece!!! <3
on January 3, 2013
I'm not understanding the rave reviews.
I gave the book a shot because of them, and I'm sort of wishing I had side-stepped this one.
Sure, it wasn't terrible--but it wasn't worth much of my time either.
I made myself finish the rest so that I can start reading my new book.

My criticism starts with the dialogue of the characters--quite unrealistic & uninteresting.
I'm not sure how Anna found T.J. mature enough to find attractive because he pretty much always sounded like a 12 year old to me.
And the most important thing you'll learn of Anna in this book is that she's beautiful. OK? She's beautiful.

Their ordeal on the island was not as challenging as I expected--I mean, they had supplies that just so happened to conveniently wash ashore.
Eventually, you tire of reading about breadfruit, laying in the sun, making a fire, bathing in the lagoon and the mindless chatter between them.
Where's the adventure??

Promising intro, but it did not deliver in the end.

*shakes head*
OK, I'm done.
on July 30, 2017
I had been hearing about this book for a while, so when it went on sale I pulled the trigger and decided to see what the fuss was all about. I found this to be an entertaining, heartbreaking book of survival. I actually liked the taboo aspect of this since most older/younger duets have the man being much older. It's refreshing to read a book where the woman is older (and nothing happened with these two until he was of age). It was heartbreaking to read about what these two go through for the three years they were on the island and their struggle to acclimate when they are rescued and return to the real world. I loved their relationship and how they dealt with everything. This was ultimately a sweet love story that I thoroughly enjoyed.
on February 21, 2013
After reading the book description, I just did not think I could read this story so I passed it up even though it had seriously favorable reviews. After reading 3 duds in a row, I finally gave in and downloaded it. I was leery and less than optimistic before I even began, but I was literally sucked in from the beginning.

The premise is unusual and actually very thought provoking. It starts out with Anna, a 31-year-old English teacher hired to tutor, T.J., a 16 year old a cancer survivor in the early stages of remission. The unusual aspect of the tutoring assignment is the fact that T.J.'s wealthy parents contracted Anna to accompany them family to a tropical island for the summer so that T.J. can be schooled while spending time on the island with his family. Okay, I can definitely see the benefits here. I would definitely take that business arrangement...earning a more then fair wage and being provided with a vacation sans gratis on a tropical island to boot.

Well it all turns out to be more than Anna bargained for. The family travels ahead and asked Anna to fly with T.J. a few days later. This is where the plot takes a bleak turn. Unfortunately, the charter plane from the main island to the private island crashes. Anna and T.J. survive and make it to desolate dry ground. Over a period of four years their survival skills are put to the test and their spirits challenged. Hopes of being rescued become dashed. They struggle a great deal to adjust to their fate and they learn to fully trust and support each other through their trials, tribulations and near death experiences, forming an extraordinary and unbreakable bond. Over the course of MANY years, this bond turns into adoration, then attraction and eventually fervent love.

So this was not a story about a teacher that seduces a student or visa-versa. It was a story of survival, sacrifice, and ultimately true love. I LOVED this book and read it from beginning to end in a single day...good thing I was on vacation.
on September 4, 2013
I read this book a while back and it has since stayed with me...I often mention it to friends of mine- I encourage them to read it and enjoy the lovely story of Anna and T.J. stranded on a deserted island and their journey of survival, growth and love.

To me, this story was enjoyable, beautifully entertaining and always kept my interest as the characters struggled to connect as their most vulnerable sides and traits would be exposed without reserve. The choices were not there's to make, but made for them by nature as their course together became just as natural.

I loved the opposing dynamic of the characters ages as well as Chicago vs. the stranded island...Loved the notion that Anna always wanted a dog but instead is loved by a chicken! I especially loved how Ms. Graves made the simplicity of the island feel complex to the reader.

This story softened my heart as the characters evolved into adults who, through the nothingness on the island, grew to knowing EXACTLY what they wanted out of life.

Thank you Tracey Garvis Graves!
P.S. Love Love Love the cover design. Cheers!
on August 22, 2017
So this isn't the usual type of book I read..I'm more erotic reader but I LOVE THIS BOOK! This is a true romance novel! I bought this book several years ago and came back to see what else the author had wrote. I have read this book so many times and I enjoy each minute of it! Outstanding job Tracey Gravis Graves! Well worth the purchase price!

I love how Anna and T.J fall in love with each other, how they work so well together, how the love each other.

I can see Anna side of things. By being the older mature adult- knowing, and seeing things that you would think someone would want to experience. I thought she was a wonderful character throughout the whole book!

I can also see T.J side of things. He became a man in front of your eyes and one that worked for what he wanted, needed, and loved! I'm more of a T.J person myself! I loved his character!
on July 26, 2017
I read a lot. Free books from Book Bub on my Kindle, maybe go through at least two per week. Few of them hit me hard enough to leave a review, but this one did. I probably don't write well enough to describe this one in a way that it deserves. Suffice it to say that I liked it. A lot. Truth be known, it was a total 'chick book' and most of you know exactly what I mean....but despite that, the story line was fresh, unique, and completely riveting. Well developed characters, inasmuch as the book revolved around them completely, but we literally "watched" T.J. grow up. Love the alternate chapters from each of their prospectives. I highly recommend it to anyone.
on June 5, 2017
I enjoyed this book and was surprised it was this authors first to be published and that she had to self publish. I would have thought at least one of the romance publishers would have been interested . I am glad she made the women the older one and not surprised people didn't except their situation as they would have if the older person had been the man. I also liked that only a few things seemed unrealistic but I could look at those things as some good luck because there weren't too many of them. I hope if the movie gets made they pick a women who looks her age .I will definitely go to see it'
on June 4, 2017
Excellent writing and story, you become Anna and TJ feeling their emotions and lives. Since so many have mentioned the issue of Anna being an adult and TJ a kid here is another way to look at it. It is only modern life and US in particular that still considers 18-22 kids and since treated that way most are, however for centuries "kids" of 15-17 were the man of the family, working, supporting and going to war. So considering what he already survived with cancer he was definitely an adult by 18 in every sense of the word. Very talented author.
on April 26, 2017
This was the Book I never knew I needed. It was an adrenaline rush. It was emotional. It was swooney. It was beautiful.
The writing gave me an emotional connection to two remarkable characters through their journey of survival. I laughed with them, I cried with them, for them in sadness or sheer happiness.
Read this book!!