Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 47 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 51 reviews
on March 28, 2013
As a long time MMA and UFC fan, specifically a big Evan Tanner, fan I was shocked to hear of the sad news of his passing just a few short years ago. Evan was always a classy inspiration and loved the fans. Following Evan on his blogs and reading about him and his philosophy on things resonated a lot with my thoughts and beliefs. This documentary is very well put together and shows in detail a great man, with a great heart and soul that battled his demons and no matter the odds constantly overcame them. We all have demons and even in death through Evan Tanner and his inspiration, this documentary sheds a great light on a little part of all of us and the human element as a whole. I wish the fight footage was put together a little differently with more clips of his UFC tenure, etc. but as far as specifically focusing on Evan as a person rather than as a fighter, if that is the intention of the director, it's perfect.
on March 14, 2013
One of the things that I found the most engrossing about this documentary was the focus on Evan Tanner's life outside of the ring as well as inside. Evan Tanner was a great fighter and his death is still surrounded by controversy as to whether it was a suicide or a desert hike gone wrong, but the best thing that this film does is not try to answer that question. Yes, it gives insight and perspective on it from officials and those who knew him best, and you could probably fill an entire film with just that aspect alone; but that wouldn't be a fitting tribute. Instead, this film gives fans access to the parts of Evan's life that few ever knew. He was driven, charismatic, talented, and very intelligent, but he was also many other things behind that veneer. He was vulnerable, enigmatic and possibly misunderstood by those who loved him the most. He was susceptible to depression and alcohol, and was struggling, as most of us are, to find his place in this world. I found it to be one of the best documentaries done on a fighter because it showed him as more than a fighter. It showed him as a person.

If you are looking for a film that focuses mainly on fighting; something that just alternates between fight highlights and training montages, you might want to look elsewhere. But if you want to see a glimpse into the real demons that drive, haunt, and sometimes sadly overtake these men that we look at as invincible, then I highly suggest this film.
on March 28, 2013
I followed Evan's blog on Spike and his more private writings on myspace. Anyone who really followed what he wrote couldn't be too surprised by his death. This touching documentary covers the good and bad of a conflicted man, an adventurer, a seeker, a lost soul who's hopefully at peace now. Great piece of work. A work of love, but not afraid of the tough questions. Thanks for this.
on April 21, 2014
One of the best documentaries I've seen.

You do not need to be a fan of UFC, martial arts or fighting to be drawn into this documentary. This is the story of a man that had passion, was misunderstood by many and was in search of who he was. A battle I think many of us struggle with. I was touched by his spirit, his soul, his kindness and the love his friends had for him.

I can relate to him. I am a 47 year old female, quite the opposite from Evan. Anyone, of any age can, watch this film and be touched by his story, told by his true friends, who obviously loved him and miss him very much.

Loved everything about the file.
on October 14, 2014
I grew up as a teenager watching the early days of the UFC. I remember Evan Tanner and enjoyed learning about his life through those close to him. To me it is surprising how a UFC champion can end up having such an odd life.... Being homeless at times. I'd see these fighters win the belt and think to myself how dynamic it must be to earn such a prestigious title and have a perception that their life must be perfect. This film is a reminder that we are all human.
on May 29, 2015
I enjoyed learning more about what made Evan tick. Though quite a bit is still unknown, I found his story to be pretty amazing. Like all of us he had big ups and downs. The main difference is that despite these peaks and valleys he functioned at a level few people can comprehend, let alone achieve. May he be at peace.
on September 9, 2014
I loved this movie. If you are going to be driven to your end, then why not as a stone cold athlete. At the age of 36, I was told that a stone cold athlete can survive one addiction by a guy who had survived 500 LSD trips. I have lived a stone cold athlete ever since to survive my one addiction--my life. Evan was stone cold going out. Best way to exist if you are driven.
on February 13, 2013
This documentary about the life and death of Evan Tanner is profoundly inspirational yet profoundly sorrowful. You'll be inspired by his strength, his intellect, and his passion for kindness and be disturbed by his weakness, his selfishness, and his terrible addiction. Whatever his triumphs whatever his mistakes, though, by the end of the film, you'll be yearning to have known him, to have conversed with him, to bring him back among us. And you'll unequivocally believe in the power of one.
on January 14, 2013
If you are interested in what drives a complex individual and fighter, in this instance Evan Tanner, this is a great film to watch.
Great editing. may fabulous interviews and film clips with a variety of fighters, friends and family. Well crafted. Excellent cinematography. Musical score got a little heavy at times. I felt like the words of those being interviewed were powerful enough at times that I didn't need the music to tell me it was a poignant moment. Highly rec. film.
on August 21, 2013
He was a very good friend to my daughter, Breeana, and he is missed every day! This film documents only a little of his remarkable life. He was a very good, intelligent, caring person not just a UFC fighter. He definitely had his demons, but he was loved by many that knew him. It was a great loss to her and all that he touched. Rest in peace, Evan.