Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 22, 2012
It's a bit risky to adapt a story behind an indie small budget film to the Broadway stage. But when your listening to such gorgeous melodies sung by actors with beautiful voices perfect for musicals and this score, then something magical happens. The music is wonderful and I hope I will be able to experience this on the stage. In the meantime, the recording will have to suffice.
on April 4, 2014
I'm a huge fan of Broadway and enjoy the "Once" film. I ordered the album right before going to see the show on it's US tour. I love it! I also own the movie soundtrack, and very much enjoy having both. They're the same songs, but performed just so differently. It's hard to say if I like one more than the other. I love Glen Hansard's intensity, but Steve Kazee is a little more restrained in his delivery of the songs, which also has a positive effect. Cristin Millioti is awesome. I prefer her version of "If You Want Me" over Marketa Irglova's, but I prefer Irglova's "The Hill" over Millioti's (but not by very much). Also, this soundtrack has the a cappella version of "Gold" which is just awesome. I really wish the song "Lies" was included in the Broadway show though.

My favorite tracks:
Leave
The Moon
When Your Mind's Made Up
The Hill
Gold (A Cappella)

Highly recommend! Not your typical Broadway album.
on March 30, 2012
The arrival of a stage version of the film ONCE - along with its accompanying cast recording - gave me the perfect excuse to buy both CDs. As a performing arts teacher who owns the film but has yet to see the play, I'd be much more interested in comparing the way the story is brought forth on stage (on a single bar set, I believe) with the way the story and songs are laid out in the film. Much was made when the movie came out of its more naturalistic incorporation of songs into the story line; since both the leads were musicians, how proper and fitting that their relationship could be laid out in songs that they had written separately and together. I'm still not sure I see ONCE as a traditional musical, but who cares! The film is lovely, and the songs and singers very powerful. "Falling Slowly," which I heard for the first time on the Oscars telecast, is one of those songs I can play over and over without tiring of it.

Listening to the cast album is a different enough experience that I can enjoy each version without needing to compare who does what better. The emotional intensity of the songs is greater in the film due to Mansard's vocals, but there's a sweetness to it all that might be more compelling in the stage version, at least on CD. There are a couple of differences in the song lists, and I find myself missing "Lies" when listening to the cast recording, but really loving "Sleeping" and missing it when I hear the soundtrack.

It's always fun to watch people snipe and disagree on Amazon. However, I think having two varying renditions of these great songs is a gift rather than cause for argument, particularly since the creators of both versions seem to have shaped their work with great skill and love for the material.
on July 20, 2017
It was OK.....I liked the stage production by the traveling Broadway company preformed in Colorado Springs much better....but that's just me.
on February 23, 2017
Love the story but more so the music. Had to buy the cd which was very good even if not with the same musicians in the movie.
on April 13, 2017
What a gorgeous recording! The music is so amazing. And the cast is perfect.
on June 7, 2013
When the story in this film was recently reworked and sent to Broadway, it got a lot of attention. I heard a little of the music and liked it... I would have enjoyed seeing the show, but we don't get much Broadway in the desert, so I decided to take a chance instead on buying the film's DVD. Sure, the story is recycled and familiar, but as I understand it, the actors in the film also wrote the story and its music, so their performances are pure and authentic, and full of joy and energy. For a little movie that didn't get too much attention, it has one of the most memorable, singable soundtracks in a very long time. For those who separate their movies into chick flicks or action movies, this probably won't be your thing. But if you like fresh music, an easygoing story line with no body parts (naked OR exploding) you might like this.
on March 22, 2017
Thanks for the speedy shipment. Exactly what I wanted.
on June 9, 2012
I love discovering artists right at this point, "New & Great". I saw this as a movie on cable or TV a few years back. The story is endearing and the music is great. Nice to see it made the big DVD, at least. Next, move on to the new DVD, "The Swell Season". Live music with Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova,(his band with a superb guitarist & violinist). The CD to Once doesn't have one even moderate song on it. Glen Hansard, an Irish Import, was lucky for us to have found because a big name actor and singer from the U.S. tried out for this part and Glen was chosen. Marketa is, also, someone who immigrated from another country. I don't know where but this woman is a "toughy" and never stops at "no" when asking for anything. Her voice compliments Glen's so well. It sounds like they have been singing together for years. Yet, they were put together at the movie auditions, I believe. Get this one and all that follows. Every moment will be a golden viewing and listening experience. All available at Amazon. Lucky us!
on July 4, 2017
Saw show on Broadway and had to have the CD. It is one of my favorites!