Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 156 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 172 reviews
on March 14, 2017
This walks the line between "card game" and "campfire storytelling," in a very fun and engaging way. Using your cards to steal control of the story means that it's constantly changing and often become hilarious, especially near the end when everyone is desperately trying to twist things toward their secret ending.

Player 1: "...and the castle burned down, with the evil queen trapped inside. As the sun rose the next day, the villagers..."

Player 2: "Wait!" (plays MORNING card to steal control) "...as the sun rose the next day, the town was shocked to see the queen standing, quite alive, in the middle of the town square. She cackled, 'You foolish peasants! Thanks to my magical spell, I...' "

Player 3: "Stop!" (plays MAGIC card to steal control) "...she says, 'Thanks to the magical spell which was cast on me as a child, destroying my body actually freed my true form.' And with that, you realize that she is gradually changing into a young princess..."
on July 15, 2013
I found this on Will Wheaton's show on YouTube. Such fun! Great for adults or kids. My wee ones love it. :)
on August 9, 2015
I work as a trauma therapist, and I use these cards with clients to help discuss difficult topics and to assess levels of hope and level of self-efficacy. It also helps develop problem-solving skills and expand one's idea of choice and options. Great to use at home with kids for the same reasons, without them ever even knowing they are learning new skills. Increases creativity. The freedom of the game allows for any type of mood to develop, so stories can be funny or serious, or both, and you can't purposely avoid an emotion that randomly comes up. I love that there are also heroic female endings included.
I bought all the sets, but recommend this set and the 'create your own' set. I also use the kindle book that helps you to write stories, as it suggests some standard plot twists to get people started being creative.
on July 11, 2016
Really fun to play, but we did modify the rules a bit to create our own version. My two daughters (8 and 12 yrs old) didn't like the idea that the storyteller could have their story "taken away" from them, so when we play, we make it so one person is the storyteller and just use one Ending card. The other players can play their cards at the usual times, but they don't "interrupt" or take over the storytelling role; the storyteller just has to incorporate that element into their story. They found this more satisfying, so we just take turns being the storyteller.
These cards would also work great for creative writing "warm ups" or prompts. I've also played with a whole classroom full of people using the proper rules, and that was fun as well.
The cards themselves are sturdy and the art is lovely. Plenty of combinations available to keep playing this for a long time.
My one suggestion would be to have a better tray or box to keep them in. The packaging comes with a cardboard tray you slide out of the box, but it's just three equally sized wells to hold the cards. It'd be great if there was a way to separate out the Interrupt and Ending cards (of which there are many fewer cards) from the rest of the deck in a tidier way. But that's a minor thing, so I wouldn't take off a star for that.
on June 29, 2017
I was very excited when I discovered this item. I am an EAL teacher and some of my students were doing fractured fairy tales in their classes and were finding it very hard to translate their ideas from one language to another and then writing (and then all of the other language skills used in writing... they lose track of what their idea was in the first place having to go through more steps and processes than their peers) of creating their own fairy tales. This is perfect for them. I would also use it in Narrative writing classes as a teacher, or as a parent use it as a car card game for a road trip. I am looking forward to playing it with my friends on our getaway during rainy season when we will be stuck indoors.
on March 30, 2016
This game is a classic game for any age! If you love telling stories or writing your own, this is the game for you! Simple to pick up and easy to play, it is never the same story and trying to finish your own story with your friends adding their own into it makes it unbelievably fun!

Basically you have your hand which consists of one (1) Ending Card and 5-9 (ish) playing cards. You win when you play all your cards with the Ending Card being the last card you play. The other plays have the opportunity to steal the story from you and take it into their own hands as they change it to fit their Ending Card.

You can play Once Upon A Time by itself but the expansion packs are pretty cheap and add even more adventure and fun to the game!
on December 3, 2016
This is a great product to play with people who are not too into a tactic and strategy games. It is just fun to have people telling stories and see how everything goes. The packaging is great and i love the case, but it would be nicer to have a harder cardboard on the outside. The case looks like its not going to last long if you don't take care of it. The pictures are very nice and beautiful! I love the game mechanics.

Pros:
- It is to have fun not to win (though it is a it satasfying).
- quick thinking game.
- beautiful Art work.
- quick games time.
- help to build creativity.

Cons:
- casing seems to be a bit too thin
- if too many people it is chaotic.
- sometimes rules are not clear (it is to help in force creativity though).

over all:
If you like reading books and make just have fun time telling stories with friend it is a great game. If you are a strategic and are very competitive it might not be for you since the rules are not clear in some spots and it will make the competitive people angry.
on March 24, 2016
My family, friends and I just love this game. Well... some of them anyway.

I saw this on Tabletop on YouTube and knew I would love it. I am a huge fan of fairy tales and card games and improv comedy, this game has all of that. My theatre friends love it, we're playing it at cast parties and having a ball! My nieces love it because it engages them creatively.

My son's best friend, hates this game. Seriously despises it.

His parents didn't "do fairy tales" so he has zero affinity for these cards. So, if you like this kind of thing, you'll love it and if you don't, you better hope my friends are not around because you'll be stuck playing it and listening to us have a raging good time for hours!
on May 11, 2015
"Once Upon A Time" is a storytelling game, and as such, you need to play with people who understand the fun of that genre. I've made the mistake of busting this game out with people who just want to win, and it simply did not work. When players just want to burn through cards to earn victory, the experience turns out very unsatisfying.

But, BUT if you play with the right people, this game is purely amazing. It has generated some of my fondest social experiences of the past year. One "story" went on for nearly an hour before it came to a close, and the belly laughs it generated is still pretty legendary amongst my friends. We still crack jokes based on the fairytale we made up.

Therefore, just because I've had one or two lackluster plays, I don't really dock the game for it. I dock the players. If this rating is based purely on how much I enjoy "Once Upon a Time" and how excited I get to bust it out, then I stand by the five stars all the way.
on July 20, 2017
I love this game. It has tremendous replay-value. My friends and I (we're all 20-somethings) play this game a lot because it's simple and different and is really fun to play while sober and/or drinking a little bit. It could also be a good game to play with children because it promotes language development and encourages them to ask questions and be creative.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.