Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery

Showing 1-10 of 98 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 120 reviews
on October 26, 2016
We are beyond reading this at our house. We usually have 2 or 3 copies at home and frequently give them to Soldiers around us we know could benefit from this one.

Writing is well done and presented in a way that makes it easy to follow...or easy to skip around to the content you need.

Very happy with this book.

Thanks, Dr. Hogue!
on June 10, 2014
It is true , as the title says , Once a Warrior Always a Warrior . Military service changes you for the rest of your life IMO . It is a unique form of a University-one where you learn strengths and skills you never thought you had-like jumping out of airplane or finding your way through the jungle with a map and compass . Warriors , male and female , do not lose those strengths and confidence as life goes on . The military made me better as a civilian because I had more confidence in my ability to see things through . Also , they brought out teamwork and perseverance that I didn't know I had . But this is about COL Hoge's book . I met him at a Vets conference in Ft Lauderdale and he explained why he choose his title in spite of opposition from the Publisher . It's just true he said , and most importantly for the therapist caring for veterans , we will fall back on those old skills from active duty to help us pull through the most difficult times . Most Americans ,71 % say they have a disconnect with the military and its lifestyle > Col Hoge served in Irag and has first hand knowledge of what PTSD is all about . He is also an experienced psychiatrist who knows his patients . He gives several practical treatment guidelines that will benefit those who know little about military service but wish to serve those who have borne 13 years of constant battle . He says that the skills you learned in becoming a warrior will be a strength in helping you find your warrior find their way Home .
on September 11, 2014
A great resource for every combat veteran, regardless of how long you've been back. I really appreciated the discussion of the permanent physiological changes to the brain and how the learned survival skills are a normal response for those in long sustained combat operations, as well as what we need to do to be more aware of the physiological factors that influence our responses. The author provides effective methods of how to manage it by dialing it up or down according to the situation and better cope with the very different world we came "home" to. We can't undo what's been done, but this book provides a better understanding of how to live a better life by managing it more effectively. This book is more clinical in nature than other books I have read, which really helps explain what's really going on and what helps and what methods of coping we gravitated to actually worsens the condition. A must read for love ones so they aren't left in the dark and what they can do to help rather than worsen the situation. Too bad this book wasn't available when we returned. Probably wouldn't have prevented an inevitable train wreck divorce, but it absolutely would have helped me immensely in better dealing with it and in my understanding of the heightened feelings of betrayal, as well as reduce the short term impact of it on my kids. I believe it would also have helped me in not feeling like a ghost walking in the land of the living for far too long. For those looking to go down the path of healing, to learn to live again, to be happy, to trust, to love again, this book is a invaluable resource. Good luck and God Bless those who served their country!
on November 13, 2010
As a volunteer therapist for The Soldiers Project, I have recently begun working with warriors returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. This book was invaluable in helping me to understand military culture, combat related PTSD and mTBI, and the struggles faced by these brave men and women as they navigate their journey home. It is also an excellent "handbook" for the soldiers themselves and can be used to assist them in this process whether they are in therapy or not. The section devoted to family members and their role in the healing process as well as information on how to cope with their own changing roles in the family and the life of the soldier is insightful and informative. This book pulls no punches. The approach is honest and straightforward; one that can be understood and appreciated by therapists, soldiers, families and all those whose lives have been touched by a warrior.
on October 17, 2013
This is an outstanding work. The whole idea of ptsd is fraught with myth and nonsense but with the vast numbers of returning veterans from Iraq first and now Afghanistan, most with multiple tours, there is an avalanche poised to fall in every country that contributes troops to that sorry exercise. This book is timely, because at the end of the day, in my experience as a Vietnam vet, the burden of coping with the trauma post deployment falls on the veteran. The author has had the experience and he understands the problems we face clearly. The book is a great guide and source of critical information. Networks of other vets and professional help all have to be part of the mix, but recovery or adaptation are an inside job.

The book also offers insight and guidance to the other half of the equation those to whom the veteran returns. It should be handed out as part of the readjustment package provided to all returning veterans
on August 3, 2017
This book has a lot of different information covering a lot of complex areas that we as combat veterans can use to better our lives when we have returned from a deployment. It also helps those who are closest to us to better relate to, and help work with us without having to walk on eggshells. There is also a part in this book that will help the veteran to deal with returning to their family which I think is totally awesome . I strongly recommend this book two any and all combat veterans, spouses, loved ones, Etc to help them get past the difficulty of a combat veteran returning home. Awesome book filled with lots of information.
on January 31, 2013
Dr. Hoge is a recognized expert in the important area of research of combat PTSD. His book is a comprehensive review of the effective treatments for combat PTSD. He has writt en this book fundamentally as a handbood for Soldiers to "navigate" through the seas of despair in which they struggle to survive. I believe it is written in an understandable style, one that is in language Soldiers understand. It is richly referenced with a practical and useful division into sub-types of references, such as approved therapies, mild traumatic brain injury, and many others. It is fact, a nearly complete collection of most of all need know to improve one's life as a warrior with PTSD or a therapist preparing oneself to treat this most challenging of all behavioral health conditions today in the Age of Terrorism.
on August 30, 2015
If you are a soldier or have a soldier in your family who is struggling with symptoms such as sleep problems, anxiety and irritability after deployment, you need to read this book. Retired COL Hoge has written a masterpiece when it comes to understanding PTSD and mTBI from the soldier's perspective. More importantly, he provides a road map for recovery as well. I use this book regularly in my work with soldiers and it helps break the stigma many of them have about being weak when they have not been able to overcome post-deployment issues themselves and the guilt they often carry. Anyone who wants to understand what soldiers experience and what PTSD is like for them will be glad they read this.
on December 17, 2013
Dr. Charles W. Hoge of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, with the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, advocates the challenge of the DSM-IV’s clinical definition of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). By using his testimonial surveys, and clinical trials done on military personnel obtained from before and after deployment from OEF, OIF, and OND, Colonel Hoge and his team will explain the stigmatism of soldiers, their beliefs in mental health care, and the lack of availability of mental health services on base, and homeland. This is a book will give you the valuable information you need in dealing with those suffering from mTBI (mild Traumatic Brain Injury), Combat Stress, PTSD, and the expectations of coming home from a fourth dimensional world overseas. The quotes of traumatic situations, individual stories and reactions to trauma and recovery throughout the book from soldiers, will endorse this book as a one of-a-kind true hero’s tears in print, making this a top choice for anyone in the mental health field.
on July 28, 2014
As a former military spouse and now close friend to a military contractor with one tour in Iraq and now on his second tour to Afghanistan, all of them as a law enforcement advisor. I feel it is a most read for military spouses and civilian employees involved in those countries conflicts alike. It has helped me to understand better the where and why of his "strange" at times behavior, his nightmares, and my dodging of punches in occasions. This book has made me realize many of the things that are going on in his mind when he comes home are not the result of not loving me but the result of his assume guilt, and other things that happen not only to soldiers but also to the civilians directly involved with the training of the foreign troops in the hostile environment of those countries.