Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 187 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 235 reviews
on January 8, 2014
I have had this book about 6 weeks and have already gone through about 1/2 dozen recipes and have a dozen more flagged. I wouldn't say the recipes are always spot on (may need more salt or more sauce), but overall I have been very happy. These recipes require some special ingredients not stocked in the house, but not that many. I love the idea of a one dish dinner, so I am plowing through these recipes. The level of complexity varies so except to spend 30-90 minutes on each dish. I made the stuffed walnut eggplant the other night and it was delicious. The recipe was very well balanced and did not need any adjusting. Expect to spend about 30 minutes more than time estimations.
on October 1, 2016
My go to cookbook by far. Along with "Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker," another of Robertson's best books, you'll have plenty of variety and deliciousness for a long, long time. What I find most helpful with these books is that most of the recipes are complete meals in themselves. That's what I find most compelling about vegan cooking, the ability to have an entire meal in one dish. No sides, no complex main course, instead everything together in a bowl or on your plate creating complex flavors and complete nutrition every time. So, if you are contemplating veganism or just interested in plant-based recipes a few days a week I highly recommend cooking one-dish meals and buying this book as your trusted (and delicious!) guide.
on October 20, 2015
I have been a vegan for two years and this book quickly becoming is one of my favorites! The recipes are pretty simple and taste so good that my self-proclaimed "carnivore" father likes them. The majority of these are healthy and whip up quickly. I don't see too much that's unusual in here, ingredients-wise; if anything, it's a good basic primer as to what makes a healthy vegan dish. You will familiarize yourself with beans, quinoa, tofu, and tempeh, which are vegan staples. There are a few recipes in here with non-Euro/American flavors, which is a great way to learn how to expand the palette if you're not used to multi-cultural food. I also appreciate that a good majority of these recipes are gluten-free or can be created with subs! Wheat allergies can be no fun.
on November 21, 2013
These are tasty, easy-to-prepare recipes consisting of simple, easy-to-find ingredients. I am cooking my way through the offerings and haven't hit a loser yet. The gluten-free and oil-free options have been indispensable to my wife and me since she is celiac and we both follow a strictly plant-based eating regimen. While not as detailed or quite as methodical as, say, the recipes in a Cook's Illustrated cookbook, these little recipes are also way less trouble in many ways. This is not a gourmet cookbook and does not pretend to be. But it is an enormously practical guide to awfully tasty food. Most recipes provide enough finished product for 4-6 generous servings. For the two of us this proves especially convenient since we can cook a good variety of food three nights a week and have a diverse assortment of leftovers to pop in the microwave. I highly recommend this little book, especially if you are looking for healthful food that is easy to cook, varied in offerings, and does not require elite culinary skills.
on November 8, 2013
So far so good. And really quite good at that. Some of the recipes are close to those in the authors other cookbooks but its handy to have a go-to book for these "one dish" ideas. There are also a few near repeats within the book but not so much that I would give this book high marks. The dishes we have made so far have been either very good or good enough to make again... so that is alright with me. I have bought this book as a gift for others as it is an easy way to go vegan without all the hoopla... easy recipes that someone who just wants to eat vegan - not convert the world with dishes that take more effort then the average working person can afford. There is a place for the difficult but delicious dishes but for someone that just wants to fix their meals this is a really good book. Ingredients are easy to find. I would always like to have pictures but these recipes are so basic that a picture isnt all that necessary.
on November 13, 2013
The recipes are straight-forward, easy to prepare, and made up of "normal" ingredients, as promised. However, I felt that a lot of the recipes were very similar to each other--variations on the same 10 ingredients. I also wish that some pictures had been included. I made a pot of the "Lentil and Butternut" soup last night and it was beautiful as well as tasty! I think a few pictures of some of the prettier dishes might help increase interest in some of the recipes, and the book as a whole. My last criticism is that I had hoped for more casserole-type dishes that didn't include pasta and some sort of tofu/bean filling. Overall, I'm enjoying the book and I look forward to making more of the recipes.
on December 9, 2016
I like this book. Gives you some good, easy ideas. My only issue is that there are no pics of the recipes. I like to see the fish before I make it.
on December 8, 2013
Nice explanation of how a balance can be had, without feeling helpless in making other people recognize that killing animals to turn into human food is obviously wrong and merciless. Included are pointers to places where vegan food can be bought. The difference between good quality and less quality vegan products. And how to substitute natural plant based diet for a varied range of tastes and textures.

V. nice book. Highly recommend for people who need more ideas of vegan/ vegetarian dishes.
on October 11, 2013
I had the pleasure to recipe test for this delightful book. I don't think I had one complaint about the recipes that I tested, and I absolutely loved how quick and easy the recipes came together. I personally work full-time, and am very busy throughout the week, but I always love to get in the kitchen to cook up something wholesome each night, and it's an added bonus when the recipes come together quickly. Since I have received this book, I have made the Provencal Vegetables over Israeli Couscous, the Chickpea Pot Pie, the Cuban Black Beans, and several more—every single one delicious! I have been a vegan going on 13 years now, and I have quite a few vegan cookbooks in my collection, and this one stands out, for sure. I even bought a copy for my parents who aren't vegans themselves, but I know they will enjoy the book immensely. Thanks Robin for yet another amazing cookbook!
on September 29, 2013
If you have enjoyed any of Robin's previous books you will surely be thrilled with this one! If you haven't been exposed to Robin's recipes before this is the perfect book to start with. The White Bean Cassoulet recipe is worth the cover price alone! Greek Gyros Salad, Garlic Lover's Chili and West Coast Chili are all equally delicious. There are 19 chili recipes in the book and I am cooking my way through each and every one of them. And I can't wait to try the Frittata Puttanesca and the Tempeh and Eggplant Moussaka.