Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

I like to control (as far as possible) the ingredients I use in my vegetarian cooking. I want to know for sure what's in the foods I eat and serve to others. Most of the time, I also like it to be easy, with little cleanup required. This cookbook is perfect for people like me. And it's also very good for beginners.
The point is that her recipes are flexible, with easy-to-understand directions. The beginning cook and the "experimental" cook like me can both benefit from her book, and neither of us will have to do a massive cleanup!. Any vegetarian cook will enjoy this book.
on June 7, 2013
We have a lot of cookbooks, but this one takes the (vegetarian) cake. The meals on the back and front covers are some of the best, but they all come together quite nicely. They are well balanced in in terms of flavor, spice, and texture. Many of them provide good sources of protein as well. And they taste just wonderful. I bought another copy for a friend as a gift. We recently ordered another one of this author's cookbooks, because we've been really happy with this one. I doubt you will be disappointed.
on March 29, 2016
Gave as a gift for my 20 something vegetarian grandson. He has pictures to help him see what it looks like. He liked it very much.
on April 17, 2008
Nearly ALL of my cooking falls into the "one-dish" category, because it's the easiest kind to cook up on a Sunday afternoon and freeze for meals throughout the coming week or month. So I was thrilled about this book. Most of it looks pretty good. The only thing that strikes me as odd is the massive chapter on pastas. I'm fairly sure I can figure out what to top pasta with. I wouldn't have minded if the suggestions were very original or of unique interest for vegans/vegetarians above and beyond the mere fact of being meatless... but they mostly weren't. However, I instantly forgave this when I reached the glorious chili chapter. No other book in my bloated cookbook collection pays such loving homage to the diverse possibilities of vegetarian chili. All I can say is Wow. I intend to try every single one of them. The chapters on baked dishes and stovetop simmers also look very promising from a make-ahead-and-freeze perspective.
One annoyance: ingredients that can only be found in specialty shops or ethnic groceries appear frequently. (I cook a LOT, and I have never heard of filé powder.) Fortunately, Robinson does acknowledge them, and frequently makes suggestions for less exotic substitutions or advises when you can do without them without detrimental effects on the flavor.
Overall, a book that I'm going to be spending a great deal of time with.
16 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
on December 20, 2007
I purchased this cookbook partly anticipating new and exciting recipes, partly anticipating it would join the other 40 cookbooks in my cupboard (covered in dust). What a fabulous surprise! So far, I haven't made anything I didn't like. The recipes are not too labor intensive, the ingredients are found at the local store - occasionally require a trip to Central Market.

As I get older, it is SO much easier to make one dish meals; less to clean up, less prep time. Experimenting with recipes from around the world spices things up as well- literally and figuratively. I highly recommend this title.

By the way, did I mention I don't like to cook?
53 people found this helpful
on June 11, 2012
Okay, I have to agree about the title: the recipes are not always "one dish." And they're not always quick. But they are good. I just made Spaghetti with Carmelized Onions...and my, it was tasty. I've made several other recipes from this book as well, and they've all been good. I do wish it had the nutritional info listed for each recipe, but I can figure it myself. I have a number of vegetarian cookbooks, and this is one of my favorites.
One person found this helpful
on October 2, 2013
One dish is great, who has time anymore for elaborate meals?! I would recommend this cookbook if you are a new vegetarian and don't want exotic ingredients.
on December 22, 2014
Pretty good collection of "go to" simple vegetarian meals. This gets used a lot in my home.
on November 4, 2013
What a great collection of easy vegetarian recipes. Very simple, quick, and delicious. Will be making one of the chili recipes tonight.
on November 2, 2009
I have Robin Robertson's cookbook Fire and Spice and love it, so was looking for buy another by her. These are not all one-dish meals as promised in the title. Some would make better side dishes and would not make a balanced meal by themselves. Neither is it strictly one-pot cooking. The dishes I have cooked from this book have been tasty, but this cookbook didn't really deliver on what I thought I was buying. Had I known this I probably would have bought a different Robin Robertson book instead, like maybe her Chili book.
10 people found this helpful