Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 616 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 844 reviews
on August 19, 2016
“One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish” was one of my favorite books as a child. I grew up infatuated with rhyming and this book amazed me. Seuss introduces many odd characters through the book and laces their odd situations with even odd-er (if you will) rhymes. The way he writes is ‘child-ish’. He writes in simple english but loves to throw in made up names accompanied by illustrations of made up characters. “ Bump! Bump! Bump! Did you ever ride a Wump?” (Seuss12) A Wump, actually, is a Camel-esque animal with excess hair and a ‘happy’ posture.

Illustration and font choice play a huge role in children’s literature. In most children’s books, you'll find that many are filled with pictures and silly fonts that are meant to draw a child’s attention to the book. Seuss follows close to this guide with his illustrations but strays away when it comes to the font choice. It seems like He used the default font that came on whatever word-processor his publisher used. If I had to guess, this may be because the book is aimed more at the parent reading the book to the child. I believe that the simple font choice also opens up more space for the child’s imagination to run wild with the illustrations.

Being one of Seuss’ more famous books, it’s odd that there is no real theme, recurring at least, that I can find. Seuss only spends one to three pages on each set of characters and then completely turns 180 degrees to another set of characters and a whole different story line. Really, the book is made up of a lot of story segments that loosely, if at all, tie in to each other.

The tone of this work is “playful” (the best way I could think of to describe it).
“It’s fun to sing
if you sing with a Ying.
My Ying can sing
like anything.

I sing high
and my Ying sings low,
and we are not too bad,
you know.” ( Seuss23)
As a kid I loved hearing this book read to me. My parents would always change their voices to the character they were reading and always put extra emphasis on the rhymes and the made-up words.
on October 17, 2016
My baby is the biggest (littlest) fan of Dr. Seuss. This isn't her favorite book, but the musical rhythm of the rhymes is what endears this book (and all Seuss books) to her. It's one of the longer Seuss books, which I like, but it can be a little too long for a 1-year-old. This one is a classic, and a keeper! I recommend it!
on May 20, 2016
I grew up reading Dr. Suess so I am overjoyed to be able to read his books to my son. The color of the illustrations are great and the price is very affordable. We are satisfied.
review image
on January 7, 2015
Picture books are all poetry because they have to be. Some are free verse (no rhyming or rhythmic cadence) and some are rhymed with a beat. Like this one, and all of Doctor Seuss's books. I read children's books professionally, and I'm appalled at some of the lame rhymes and off rhythm cadences I encounter. That doesn't happen with Seuss. The man never misses a rhyme, nor a beat. And even a grownup on the fiftieth reading will appreciate the clarity of the words. Like always, with Dr. Seuss, it's hard to go wrong.
on March 1, 2017
I was raised with Dr. Seuss Books, now time for the next generation.
Grand-kids love it when I visit and read a book to go to sleep. It is the perfect way to get them to relax, either for nap or bed. Gives nice subject to dream about too.
on December 8, 2016
Love Dr. Seuss books, in particular this one. My 3 year old loves, loves this book. Since receiving it, it's been read a hundred times and she never gets tired of it.
on March 2, 2017
This was a gift so I don't know if it has actually been read, but you can never go wrong with Dr. Seuss!
on May 8, 2017
I have a young grandson who doesn't like being in the car for any period of time. This is great for him. He can look through the book as he's listening to the story and it keeps him occupied. And he's been introduced to Dr. Seuss in the process!

The book is just as I remember Dr. Seuss books from my childhood and the CD is of good quality. Very crisp and clear in our car CD player.
on January 1, 2017
Um, really? This is the Doctor. The master of Rhyme. The Sultan of Salubrication. If you don't have a copy for your child, your grandchild, the neighbor kid, and your dog, you should be ashamed.
on December 4, 2016
This was one of my kid's favorite books during bedtime story time when they were little. So much so that I still have parts memorized, lol. Now my grandbabies love it. ♡