- File Size: 591 KB
- Print Length: 306 pages
- Publisher: Indus Valley Press (December 3, 2011)
- Publication Date: December 3, 2011
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B006HTH74K
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#1,599,740 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #4953 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime
- #5795 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Theater
- #6890 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
|Print List Price:||$11.99|
Save $11.00 (92%)
The One Hundred Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
The book deserves wide attention. In coming weeks I'll continue to think about how we see children, who we treat as real people, and what voices of witness or suffering we (or respectable people in Lahore or the police or anyone) pay attention to.
"The One Hundred" faces into the darkest aspects of cruelty and our human failure to see one another's humanity. The story unfolds in tragedies as people with power over others rationalize choices that harm them, and that's the everyday world of the street kids. But at the center is a monster whose rationalizing has become systematic, conscious destruction. The story's mainspring is the kids and the community's dawning realization that children are disappearing as they have never disappeared before. And we, the readers, know that there is a mass murderer preying on those who are invisible to respectable people and for whom the police are simply an enemy. With that central dilemma "The One Hundred" takes us to a surprisingly compassionate exploration of the revenge motive, which appears in the lives of these children who live beyond hope or justice as a spark or promise of hope and dignity.
This story is a page turner, but more as well. Zia Ahmad as a storyteller shows that kind of holy mercilessness that won't let us trust love until we see what the world looks like when we deny it. The world he takes us to is suspenseful, comic, edgy, but the he manages those narrative qualities evoked vision like Dostoyevsky's and Dickens' starkly comic moral writers who managed to write wildly popular books that face directly into real evil and still teach hope and touch joy. "The One Hundred" is a book of real love and respect for people whose lives and very humanity are at risk day to day and for whom a gang may be the clearest glimpse of community and grace they'll find. Zia Ahmad manages to take us into that territory and make us grateful to be taken there. In seeming hopelessness and hell, we make discoveries about the shape of hope and dignity and freedom.
Much like THE KITE RUNNER, A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS, and THE BOOKSELLER OF KABUL, this book provides a devastating glimpse into the lives of people we Americans normally only hear about in terms of terrorism ~ and the resulting revelation is that there are real people living, loving, and hurting in these far-away lands that we should get to know.
A fantastic choice for your book club!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The IndiePENdents ran from December 2011 until February 2016.Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Dramas & Plays
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Theater
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Drama & Plays
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult