Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 1,224 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,088 reviews
on November 9, 2015
My husband and I recently bought a house in a nice little neighborhood. When I found out some of the neighbors have a monthly book group, I signed right up. So let me first of all post a disclaimer here: I did not pick this book. But I figured, “What the hell? It’s got plenty of 5 star reviews on Amazon and so many folks enjoy the Stephanie Plum series. And it’ll give me an excuse to meet with the neighbors.”

First, I was sick the day the book club got together, so that plan was shot. Second, this book is not great. It’s not terrible… But that’s about the best compliment I can give it.

Stephanie Plum is a Jersey Girl who is supposed to be this smart, witty, resourceful woman who just happens to take a job as a bounty hunter because she’s been laid off and needs money. She spends a lot of time worrying about what color oversize t-shirt she is going to wear over spandex shorts. Not only does Stephanie repeatedly get herself into ridiculous situations, but she’s too dumb to get OUT of them and has to call on her mentor or some other big strong man to save her. I was really hoping for something a little more empowering.

I don’t consider myself a great intellectual nor do I spend my spare time reading many classic novels. However, I do expect a book dealing with topics such as sexual abuse, joblessness, graphic violence against women, etc. to be written at a slightly higher than 8th grade reading level. Don’t get me wrong, the book was fun to read, but it was certainly not stimulating.

One of the reasons for so many 5 star reviews was the comedy. There were a few instances of humor, but not as many as I was expecting. And there were too many horrible instances for me to consider this book entirely comedic. For instance, Stephanie is molested at age 6 by an 8 yr old boy. This same boy takes advantage of her as a teenager. In retaliation, she hits him with her car. This is all supposed to be funny, but I found it terribly sad. Of course, Stephanie ends up with feelings for this same guy, who happens to be the one she is trying to collect in her new job as a bounty hunter.

Best thing about the book is its length. Perfect beach read. Easily read in an evening or two. And Evanovich doesn’t drag the story out any longer than it needs to be. But never fear! If you do like the first book, there are 21 novels, 4 novellas, and 1 short story compilation featuring Stephanie Plum, bumbling bounty hunter. But I’ll pass.
on November 5, 2015
Lazy Review Time - since this came out forever ago and there are a bazillion reviews

This series has 20+ books in it. I can see what it has been so popular over the years. It is just a good time wrapped up in a ball and transported to the 90s. A time when New Jersey was known for garbage and hydrocarbons and people still had answering machines and no cell phones….YES we used to live like that.

Stephanie Plum is a fun character and this was a pretty good introductory book with funny shenanigans as she tries to figure out how to be a bounty hunter. She makes some pretty big mistakes that lead to a little bit of hilarity along the way. She is easy to like and I had a good time hanging out with her as she learns the ropes Eliza Doolittle style from a guy named Ranger that I could help but picture in my head as Dog the Bounty Hunter.

A few things I liked:

① - The Nostalgia I felt for the 90s

② - The hinted at future romantic interest *crosses finger* I really liked Morelli and hope they ‘Play Train’ sooner rather than later.

③ - Crazy Shenanigans i.e. hitting the boy who took your virginity and didn’t call with your car a few years later. (don’t worry he was okay)

④ - Crazy Grandma’s. I love funny and ridiculous family members so this fit the bill well

⑤ - Totally creepy psychopaths. The messed up in the head bad guy is a bit deranged and pretty scary.

Definitely and easy fun and funny read with a little drama and suspense.
on March 10, 2016
I have a lot of mixed feelings about this series at this point. I used to absolutely love it. Stephanie Plum is what got me reading again after not picking up a book for several years when my kids where little. I devoured every book in the series that was available and when a new one was released, I would drive to my local Borders to get a copy. I pushed these books on my mom and anyone else that would listen.

Several years ago, I stopped caring about this series. I realized that I could give a summary of just about any book in the series even if I hadn't read it yet.....because they are all the same. Yes there are small differences but the similarities are overwhelming. I bought this audiobook years ago and decided to pull it out because I wanted to feel a little bit of the magic before Stephanie Plum became boring.

I have read this book at least two or three times before listening to the audiobook. I even watched that horrible movie - at a theater. I know the story and I know it well. Unfortunately, I didn't feel any kind of magic this time. The story was okay. It has its moments for sure if you are looking for a little bit of silly fun in book form. It is really a pretty simple story without a whole lot of complexity to the mystery.

I didn't love the narration. C.J. Critt did a good job with Stephanie which was really the bulk of the story. I really didn't care for the voices used for the other characters in the book. I guess that I have a definite idea about what Ranger, Morelli, and the rest the gang should sound like and the reality of this audiobook just didn't measure up. Benito voice was just odd. Some of the voices used seemed so wrong to me that I found myself being pulled out of the story. I don't think that any of my issues were the fault of the narrator. I just went into the book with definite ideas of what I wanted to hear and this was just different. Not wrong...just different. I would listen to another book narrated by C.J. Critt.

I do think that readers looking for a fun silly story will enjoy the Stephanie Plum series. I have a lot of fond memories of reading these books but I don't think that I will be reading this one again. I may try the next book in the series soon to see if it works better for me because I really want to find some of the magic I felt years ago.
With fast scene changes and a main character that is both frivolous and fun, this book is a good one for pure enjoyment, for just kicking back and going with the flow. Stephanie Plum makes decisions on the fly, with not much concentrated intellectual effort, but that suits the environment and job function she finds herself in. She is a Jersey chick that finds that she must sometimes do things that are totally out of character and in steep contrast with her upbringing. Her breaking of tradition, her negation of her past regimentation, makes this story fascinating and worth the time for its perusal.

Adapting to frightening situations with sometimes bold innovation and an absence of timidity, Stephanie is both a risk taker and one who hedges her bets along the way with subtasks that assist in sustaining her financially as she seeks to attain her major goal. This goal is to capture an acquaintance, a guy she ****ed in her younger years, and who has skipped bail on murder charges and seemingly wants to prove his innocence.

Along the way Stephanie steals his vehicle, discarding the jalopy she started off with, and encounters unsavory and purely evil characters that make the reader want to enter a bathroom for a date with the commode. But Stephanie deals with the creeps and bums that enter into her circle of protected space and decrease its radius with skill and daring, and for readers who admire such traits in a woman, especially male readers, a voluntary sharing of their personal space would be both natural and desirable.
on December 8, 2013
Are you kidding me. This is a great series. I read all 20 in 30 days and loved them... well maybe not the 20th one. The 20th felt like someone else wrote it and not Janet Evanovich. This last book had a different feel and energy. I hope that if there is a #21, that Ms. Evanovich writes it and please let Ms. Plum make a decision on -- of course - the great COP in her life and maybe before she gets down the isle, Ranger can try to stop the wedding -- but of course she will choose Morelli in the end. I purchased the movie last week, I appreciate that they tried to stay true to the book, but it just did not get off the ground.... It was the writer of the script and not the actors, they were great and would have done a better job with a better script.
on November 8, 2015
This book introduces us to Stephanie Plum and although I know it's fiction, it is too far fetched to be interesting to me. She is stalked by some boxer, handcuffed to a shower rod, has no money whatsoever, is obsessed beyond belief, sexually, with Morelli. Like a soap opera. A novel has to be believable to me so while this series seems to be very popular, it is just not for me.
on May 10, 2017
Consider this: A maniacal serial rapist and brutalizer is stalking you - a thirty-something woman. He knows where you live and indeed has shown up at your apartment door. Knowing this, would you leave your second floor apartment window unlocked and open when that window opens onto a fire escape? If you think such behavior (and this is but one example) is reasonable, you may like this book. If, like me, you think this behavior on the part of a supposedly savvy, tough young woman is idiotic and tiresome, then you will hate it. It's that simple.
on March 27, 2013
This is my first time reading anything from this author and I really did enjoy it. It seemed like a great story to turn into a movie =D. I thought some parts were hilarious and im not going to lie I was a little jumpy. So she definetly did a great job there.

I did get a little annoyed with how much the author described everything in TOOO much detail. I had to continuously skim through looking for dialogue and to be honest I don't really feel like there was enough.

Unfortunately this will be my First and Last book in this series. I sat and read through the description for all 20 [I think] books and I didn't really like what I was reading, plus all the negative reviews to add on to it. I wanted her with Morelli and I thought from this book, idk why, that ranger was much older than her. Plus seeing that she doesn't turn into a BADASS Bounty Hunter just makes me lose more interest.

I would recommend this book, just with a warning.

P.S. is that Katherine Heigl on the cover?? lol
Family life is a major focus in this novel, but then, so is the mystery. I've come to the Stephanie Plum series written by Janet Evanovich late, but now I'm super charged up and ready for more. This was a well written book and downright laugh-till-you-cry in some places. What a talent this author has for capturing the down home aspects of Stephanie's life. When Grandma fired the "unloaded" gun at the dinner table I laughed until I had tears in my eyes.

But just in case you think all this frivolity might keep the story from being a true mystery, don't worry about that. I thought the process of Stephanie learning how to be a "bounty hunter" or "recovery agent" by trying to bring in the biggest bond skip was extremely well written. The character made all kinds of really novice and stupid mistakes and she paid for every single one of them. No getting away from the consequences by batting her eyelashes at somebody who makes all the trouble go away. No, singed off eyebrows and skinned knees were actually the least of this woman's troubles. Was Joe Morelli a dirty cop? Stephanie wouldn't put it past him because of the grudge she's still holding from high school days so she commandeers his car and tries to capture him and earn the $10,000 fee. Her problem is that she meets Joe every time she turns around and yet is no closer to turning him in. Her investigation into the charges against him makes her start wondering if the official version of what happened might be slightly or even completely wrong. She will just have to solve the mystery and find out.

Also, I would like to make a comment about the quality of this book regarding Kindle formatting. I read comments all the time about how bad Kindle formatting is in some books. Well, I read this on my Kindle and the formatting was absolutely spot on. No problems whatsoever so that's one thing you won't have to worry about if you are a Kindle reader.
on February 3, 2012
I'm going to start with what I liked about this book first:

Morelli and Ranger are delish, Stephanie is quirky and fun, Ramirez is just plain scary, and Grandma is hilarious! The plot grabs your attention, and the one-liners are the best!

I'm going to start with what I liked about this book first:

Now for what I didn't care for:

There's a saying in the writing community: Show, don't tell. It means the author should "show" the reader what is going on, lead them through the journey. The author shouldn't "tell" it to where there's a disconnect and the reader doesn't get involved, or experience it.

I can honestly say, this is the first time I found myself wishing an author would toss that rule right out the window. Just TELL me nothing is going to happen instead of showing me. Chapter after chapter, I read the most detailed descriptions and play-by-play action of...nothing. Nothing to move the plot forward, nothing that has any bearing on the scene, nothing but the protag spinning her wheels (she was bored out of her mind, and so was I). It got tiresome, and made it very difficult to forge forward. But I kept after it because everyone was clamoring about what a great book it was.

In the end, I DID enjoy the overall story. My only piece of advice: Cut out all the "nothing happened" descriptions. You'd be left with a book ½ the size, but it would be an excellent read!!