Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 359 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 503 reviews
on September 19, 2015
My wife ordered this for me. We are big fans of The Offie and she got this for me as a little present. I've never read a collection of short stories before, so I didn't know exactly what to expect. From what I understand, my experience has been atypical. BJ Novak weaves characters and stories together throughout his work in a way that is humorous and heartwarming.

There are some adult themes throughout the book, so reader-beware. But it is overall a funny, though-provoking collection of stories and musings.

Also, there is a great podcast from Studio Q where BJ Novak explains his process in writing this book that is definitely worth a listen!
on June 6, 2014
J.D. Salinger, master of short stories, once had Seymour chide his brother Buddy for being too witty; a writer who indulged his penchant for cleverness ostensibly was like a cripple drawing attention to his club foot. Or something like that. The idea has stuck with me for many years and I have faulted even my favorite authors for 'cracking themselves up' and taking me out of their story.

However, in reading Novak's collection, it suddenly occurred to me that in many ways, a good short story is like a well told joke. You have an intro, a build-up and a punch-line...not necessarily funny, but the more provocative the better. And if it does make you chuckle, where's the harm in that? Especially if you see it leading there all along and like the good 'laugher' in the comedy club, you surrender to the fun.

Novak's experience in stand-up has certainly taught him how to tell a story well. His wry observations of current culture will make you want to share. I predict the term 'recalculating' as he employed it will soon be as over-used as the ubiquitous 'awesome'. Or perhaps it already is in some circles and he is first to point it out. You will see yourself or people you know in this collection—as well as celebrities—brought down to earth with foibles exposed. Somehow though, as with all great storytellers, their humanity does not make them tragic heroes, but lovable ones.
on July 16, 2016
I'm 56% finished with the book, I may update when I'm 100% done, but so far it has been fantastic. I got to this book by reading "The Bassoon King" by Rainn Wilson (check it out, it's good stuff), so I'm reading from a Ryan from The Office type voice. Some of the stories have changed that, but overall the smart, somewhat pretentious language and sentence structure screams "Ryan". Anyway, the book has been fantastic, a wonderful mixture of short and even shorter stories that connect at appropriate times and rest comfortably between funny and thought-provoking.
on April 26, 2015
“One More Thing” is a collection of short stories, essays, and super short one-sentence stories. They range from funny, to dark, to poignant, but always entertaining. This book comes from BJ Novak, one of the main writers of The Office (US), and it’s very much the same sort of clever, laugh-out-loud humor.

I am nearly always disappointed with fictional “short story” books, but this was the exception to the rule. This book made me laugh in the most unexpected of places. There were little subtleties that made it fun — you could connect some of the stories if you paid attention. Also, having just finished my first watch of The Office, I can see where the show got some of its off-kilter, “who thinks of these things” humor. I’ll most-likely read this again, which I don’t say about most books.
on June 30, 2014
I cannot imagine that choosing a book based solely on the fact that you like the actor who wrote is ever sound logic, but it was my tactic in this case. Luckily, B.J. Novak does not disappoint.
I so enjoyed reading this book. Each story was clever, hilarious, and incredibly well-written. I was surprised at the level of writing at times, not expecting the humor to be so high brow. That being said, it was brilliantly executed and had me in stitches.
Just to attest at how funny I found this book, I was reading aloud sections at least once a page because I was laughing out loud at a book like a crazy person. To attest on behalf of this book even more, my friends didn't get annoyed with my constant interruptions because the book was that amusing.
I seriously recommend buying this book. Great read for summer, or whatever season you do your leisure reading in.
on October 3, 2015
Quick review: if you're looking for a laugh-out-loud read, this isn't the book. I bought this book based on hearing an interview with the author, in which humour was definitely the topic. I was tempted to give up on it when I realized it's not so much funny as 'amusing.' Serendipitously, the very next story in the book was the one where it first came to my attention that this young man can write elegantly and masterfully. The book's serious moments - which are not in the least ponderous - are of far greater interest than its humorous. I anticipate a great book from this author at some future date.
on February 16, 2014
Firstly: not every story is funny. When you buy a book by B. J. Novak, you might just make that assumption. It's wrong.

A lot of the stories are funny, and even some of the stories that aren't so funny still manage to make you laugh. But don't expect a jokebook.

I was caught by surprise myself, but it was a very pleasant surprise. I came in expecting some funny little stories, and there are plenty of those, but I don't think I would have read it as quickly as I did were it not for the complex, thought-provoking, and, frankly, poetic nature of the other stories. The book is very well written, and each story has its own delicious uniqueness.

I heard one of these stories performed on NPR yesterday, bought it that night, and have read the entire thing in less than 24 hours. I would strongly advise you to do the same (or at least read it sometime).
on February 18, 2016
I adore this book its a nice bring on the bus and read. Most of the stories are only a page or two so you dont need alot of time or to remember things. I feel a sense of beat writers almost in alot of the views in the book and the pacing and the writing style. BI novak writing style is something of a dream its got a nostalgic feel to me to the like I said beat writers and so forth. its complex and fun. However I gave it 4 stars because some of the stories probably about 18% of the book is weird fake celebrity stuff which isn't my thing.
on April 16, 2015
A phenomenal collection of short stories. You will want to read this one. It can be read on the surface, just silly stories with unexpected elements now and again, or it can be delved into deeper. There are many stories in here with possible moral lessons while others bring up interesting ideas. Many of the stories are pourqoui in nature, meaning they explain something else, like how the calendar was invented, but are a bit twisted. The writing is clever and the stories varied. Some stories are several pages long while others are just a few sentences. Its a quick read that will make you laugh and make you think. I recommend it.
on March 6, 2014
I wanted to love this book (huge fan of the Office and some of BJ Novak's other work) but I found that, instead, I really liked it. As other reviewers have mentioned, some stories are hilarious and well-crafted, while other stories may have you scratching your head. In a way, I kind of admire that---he took some chances here and did some unusual stuff and sometimes it works beautifully and sometimes...well, as I said, a few of the stories are clunkers. But here's the thing: the stories that work REALLY work. Clever and funny at times, poignant and meaningful at other times, it certainly kept my interest as to what he was going to try next. Looking forward to his second book (this one seems to be a success so I hope there are more to come!)