Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(2 star). See all 136 reviews
on March 25, 2012
It's no secret that the plot involves the fictional Thursday trying to find out what happened to the real Thursday. It strikes me that just as the fictional Thursday is only a pale copy of the real Thursday, so too OoOTIM is only a pale copy of the previous novels. Perhaps because she is fictional and could be replaced at a moment's notice, I found it difficult to care about the fictional Thursday. Since the novel is basically about her, I found it difficult to care about the novel!

Did Fforde write this novel to prove his point about why strong characters are so highly regarded in the book world? They carry the book, while weaker characters see their books languish. So, too, here.

Still, it *is* a Thursday Next novel. The series should be able to withstand the isolated weak installment. I'll buy the next one on the strength of the others.
on February 16, 2012
I keep buying the sequels because I like the idea. . . none of the books have come close to the cleverness of the original Eyre Affair! Sometimes I feel Fforde will include pages of non-essential fiction just to justify one silly pun taking the plot all off course. I like the idea of the alternative reality he created. I wish he would return to some of the original plot lines he left dangling. For example, in the first book we meet Thursday's father, whose face could "stop a clock." He spends much of that first book trying to avert a disaster which i felt sure that Fforde would allude to again in some later book. Alas, he hasn't yet.
on January 12, 2013
This book was far inferior to The Eyre Affair. It was a slower pace and I found it more difficult to immerse myself into the charcaters and the plot. Overall a very disappointing effort from a prolific writer.
on August 12, 2013
Disappointing installment in the series - Fforde spends too much time creating, admittedly funny, technology in the world of the series and sacrifices plot.
on August 17, 2011
I'm wondering if Fforde lost a bet or something; this is just not the page-turner I've come to expect. I have had a very difficult time with this one. Usually, I have trouble putting his stories away, say, to eat, sleep or work ... well, you understand. But this one -- just did not keep my attention at all.
on May 28, 2011
Jasper Fforde may be the best user of the English language writing today. He is witty, articulate, and knowledgeable. He mines metaphors and establishes characters as well as anyone. He may be the best satirist and social commentator since Swift, and that's a long time. But not even Swift could hit it for six every time, and with One of Our Thursday's is Missing Fforde is out for a duck, bowled lbw. (For Americans, that's "home run" and "out on three consecutive called strikes.")

I usually read a Thursday Next novel in a couple of evenings; when I took The Big Over Easy (the Nursery Crime series) on a trip to San Francisco a few years ago, I almost asked the pilot to go around a few more times, so I could finish the book; I read Shades of Grey cover to cover in a day. I'm sorry to report that it took me a week to read One of Our Thursdays is Missing, the latest offering in the Thursday Next series; I could put it down.

The plot of One of Our Thursdays is convoluted, even by Fforde's standards. I get the Book World, I even get why the written Thursday had to visit the Outland (Real World). But to gratuitiously reintroduce Mycroft without giving one of his greatest supporting characters so much as a line of dialogue seems unfair. Do you know who the Bellman is? Don't expect any help figuring him out here; you'll have to go back to Lost in a Good Book. Don't remember the greatest villain ever, Jack Schitt? (The Hades siblings have redeeming virtues, like senses of humor; Schitt is just 200 proof evil.) You won't be told that Thursday marooned him in The Raven, but that accounts for the animosity between them. As well as minor characters from previous books who have become major characters here and major characters from previous books who have become minor characters here is also a full cast of new major and minor players are so many minor characters in One of Our Thursdays, so many that you need a map to keep track of them. When I read The Eyre Affair I hadn't read Jane Eyre in over forty years, yet I could make sense out of it. In One of Our Thursdays there are repeated references to previous books, but if you haven't read those you have no chance of understanding; I had to dredge up a plot summary of First Among Sequels just to figure out what was going on in this book, the next in the series. But even then it was confusing. The ongoing in joke, is the written Thursday the real Thursday or not, wears very thin by the end, and even then we just leave Thursday (real, not written) dropped off at Grey's Anatomy (how did we get there? That certainly isn't in the fiction genre).

In fact, the ending is very unsatisfactory. Nothing is pulled together, there are too many lose ends and ambiguous characters left. Sure, that's happened in other novels in the series: Jack Schitt, Aenais Hades, to say nothing of the whole supporting caste. But this is different: Red Herring is unaccounted for, is Senator Jobsworth a good guy or a bad guy, does the written Thursday get her role back and if she doesn't what happens to her, does Sprocket go to Jobsworth or back to Vanity or stay with the written Thursday ...? And, speaking of Sprocky, he reminds me a little too much of C3PO.

All in all, I found One of Our Thursdays is Missing to be dissatisfying. I'm still a Fforde fan, and I'm looking forward to the next colo(u)r novel. But if you haven't bought One of Our Thursdays, wait for the paperback.
The real Thursday barely makes an appearance in this installment as she is the Thursday that is missing. Instead, the book focuses on "granola" aka written Thursday's search for the real Thursday, her unrequited love for Landen and her overall growth as she maneuvers the real world and BookWorld to find her real world counterpart. But for the most part, the spark that has been missing from the series since "Something Rotten" is gone. And written Thursday, as she points out herself, is no substitute for the real Thursday Next. The detail of new BookWorld is at times fascinating and at others downright irritating and so out there it no longer garners the usual laughs.
on October 10, 2011
According to the cover, this book is read by a trained and accomplished actress. You couldn't tell that from listening to it - the reading is flat and lifeless. On the occasions that call for some real acting chops, such as a scene featuring characters from 'Crime and Punishment', the reader stays low-key, offering only weak and inconsistent Russian accents. No attempt is made to give the main characters any distinctive vocal traits (accent, cadence, tone), so it's easy to lose the thread of dialogue.

Admittedly, Jasper Fforde isn't as great as the literature he spoofs, but the work deserves a better treatment than this.