Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 31, 2016
I enjoyed this book supremely!!! Such heart, such passion, and the characters and storyline were so strong, I simply could not put it down.

Jenny is "the good girl" returning home to Destiny Ohio to sort of lick her wounds after becoming a recent divorcee and figure out the next steps in her life. Jenny is wound a little tight, always worrying about the social eye - what will people think?! - her good girl image has become something she fights to live up to, but no longer really wants to!

Mick Brody is bad boy personified - his appearance screams sex and danger BUT he is so so tender and sweet! Growing up with alcoholic parents his home life was unstable and he and his brothers were trouble maker kids. He became a better man in his adulthood and is back in Destiny to help out his brother...which is a whole mess of illegal, tragic, emotional trouble - and is a big secret! The townspeople of Destiny do not approve of Mick Brody.

Mick and Jenny run into each other in the woods by the lake, as Jenny has a spot there where she likes to row out and look at the stars with her telescope - well the spot happens to be on the Brody property! Anyway, the two engage in some HOT and, well, RECKLESS behaviors in those woods, and many other places. It was great!! They knew each other as kids growing up so there's a little back story there. Their need for each other is addicting to any romance reader! It's forbidden and dangerous and sweet and sexy all rolled into one.

So Mick's got this big secret, and Jenny's father is the sheriff of Destiny - not a good mix! Jenny does find out the secret and before long, a relationship that the two thought was purely sexual is budding into a deeper meaning...so what does this all mean for Mick and Jenny?

I encourage you to read One Reckless Summer and experience all the pleasures this book has to offer!
on May 28, 2016
Loved reading Jenny and Mick's story. I cried, smiled and had a lot of Mick goose bumps during those love scenes. My only criticism is that it felt like it dragged a little. It started out flowing and interesting with character and story development and then in the middle it almost got boring and too slow then picked up again. I did love this story. I was struck by the genuine brotherly love between Mick and Wayne considering everything they had endured in their childhood. Wayne had always tried to protect Mick and Mick never forgot. Even though "good Jenny" had a great upbringing, it did not keep her from her own heartbreak. Together, Jenny and Mick are able to help each other find their HEA.
on January 10, 2012
Okay, this one had me a little on this side and a little on that, so let's see if I can explain my hesitant liking of this one.

First off, Mick? The male lead? Yum. He hits the right notes. For a reformed bad boy I thought he was almost peppered with a bit originality. This is a guy that chased his bad-to-the-bone older brother around and even held up a liquor store. After his brother ended up in prison he cleaned up his ways. Did he turn it around by becoming a super rich businessman? Nope. Does he own a huge bank account? No. Does he aspire to be some hero? Not even. This man after all was said and done worked for a heating and air company and is now a bricklayer. A BRICKLAYER. Ah, god, I see it and I believe it and I love it. He lives in a small apartment, has a truck and is getting by and that's enough for him and he didn't make himself all shiny and perfect just because he turned his liquor store holding up ways around. I understand that and I love that. Mick is battling the burden of why he came back to Destiny and it is HEARTBREAKING. It's soooo good. I was so impressed with the way Toni Blake wrote Mick and his journey. I ached for this guy, and I believed him. Especially the moments he was...let's just say...digging. Yeah, when that was happening I just felt the sweat and pain of it and I was signed up for wherever that man wanted or needed to take me.

That being said, the whole Mick and the reason he comes back to Destiny is the best part of this book. Okay, except the sex. This was some rockin', inventive sex. Written in a top-notch, oh-my-chest-just-got-tight kind of way. And let me tell you, there is a LOT of sex. Way more than I expected from a light, small-town romance book. I love them usually because they're fun, and always squeeze a warm laugh out of me. And while some may not fade to black and will give up the goods like a girl on prom night after just enough wine coolers, this one was that girl that didn't go to prom but invited you to hang out with her and Jack Daniels. I was a little taken aback by the amount of sex happening between Jenny and Mick. Like, whoa. You guys are busy, huh.

But still...this book was missing something for me. I got bored after awhile with Mick just showing up at her back door. And for a good long while it just felt like nothing was happening. Plot-wise I didn't feel myself getting attached to these two, other than what Mick was going through. Jenny was a bit...dry? I don't know. The good girl who was tired of being good. Okay, I got that. But enough didn't happen to make it work for me. Her banter with her best friend was the most personality I got from her, and I loved her in those moments, but then she just sort of faded every other time (unless she was having sex. Seeing a theme?) You know what makes small-town books work? The neurotic, funny townspeople. You get to go there in these kind of books, so do that. Use that. We enjoy it. Destiny was so damn perfect it was almost exhausting in its perfection. Destiny was a lot like Jenny in that way. A town a little more interesting, a little more like Mick, might have hit this one out of the park for me.
on January 4, 2015
I can't quit reading, so that tells you something. But a warning: the love scenes are explained in a way that is truly cringe-worthy, so be prepared. The descriptions of their rendezvous seem a little too graphic, but in an old-fashioned way, like a dirty great-aunt is telling the story. And the fact that the love interest keeps calling the main character "Pussycat" is like nails on a chalkboard. "Come for me Pussycat!" <cringe> And every time a character likes someone, the author has to tell us that their groin twitches/becomes moist/pulses. <cringe> I still liked reading this book. The plot is interesting and the attraction between the main characters is undeniable!
on June 13, 2009
I just finished it today after many frustrating real life interruptions.
If I had had my choice I would not have put it down. I knew that the
book would have a wonderful Toni Blake HEA. But. I was on pins and
needles waiting for that to happen. The tension built as the story went
along. The HEA was well worth waiting for. Mick Brody is an everyday
guy, ex Destiny bad boy, who is caught up in tragic events. Jenny is
the prefect daughter, citizen of Destiny, ex perfect wife. When the two
re-meet the stars light up. What I am trying to say is that I really
enjoyed this book. For me it is the perfect sitting on the back patio
summer evening read. If my back patio had been on Blue Valley Lake
--well, that would have been perfection.
on September 8, 2017
Very touching story makes you realize you shouldn't judge someone based on their past full of love and full of emotion
VINE VOICEon September 8, 2009
When her husband leaves her for a younger woman, good girl Jenny packs up and returns to her hometown for the summer after a bitter divorce. When a chance encounter with Mick Brody, a shady man from her past who grew up on the wrong side of the lake turns instantly passionate, she starts to question whether being good is all it's cracked up to be. The good Jenny gave up her dreams of working for NASA to support a husband who proved to be unworthy of her; the bad Jenny is finding that taking chances and being a little selfish can be gratifying, especially with Mick as her co-hort. While everyone in town is trying to fix her up with eligible and acceptable men, but Jenny finds she looks forward to her clandestine couplings with Mick, as they both become caught up wit the moment and lose themselves in each other. But Mick is hiding a secret that he eventually entrusts to Jenny, hoping she won't blab to anyone, particularly her police chief father. Can they reconcile their pasts to create a future with each other when all the secrets are revealed?

Toni Blake is one of my favorite authors. She combines plenty of romantic tension with light suspense and plenty of comical moments to create some pretty passionate storylines. I also found myself crying at some points in the story as it took some emotional turns. This is purported to be the first in the series - hopefully she can continue to maintain the excellent storytelling.
on June 8, 2013
5 STARS from me!

This is my second Toni Blake read and my favorite so far! I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this story. I can only read so much YA and NA before I start itching to read something more contemporary, more adult. This fed my craving for sure. If you follow my reviews, you know I'm a sucker for any self discovery read. That's exactly what you get from One Reckless Summer.

Jenny is a married school teacher and she's living her life exactly as planned. She does exactly what's expected of her. She's a good girl and she never takes risks. She was skating right through life until her husband, Terrence, was caught having an affair with a young student teacher. You know why he says he did it? Well, apparently....wait for it.... his June Cleaver wife wasn't doing for him (his words not mine!) . The get divorced and Jenny's self confidence is shattered. She returns home to Destiny to try and turn over a new leaf.

She's staying at her childhood home and decides that she wants to cross the lake to do a little star gazing. There's too many trees at her house to get a good look. As a teenager she used to sneak across the lake in her canoe to get a better view. The thing is...the Brody's live across the lake, at least they used to. The Brody's are known around Destiny for being bad news, but the word around town is that they've been long gone for awhile. The last thing Jenny expects is to run into Mick Brody on her way there. He's not happy to see her and tells her to leave. However, unexpectedly, things take a interesting turn when the two run into each other. Let the escapades begin!!!

"Oh boy." She shook her head in regret. "There are momets in life when it's not as easy as they made it sound in health class. I mean, we were in the woods. On the ground. Panting and stuff."

Every single run in they had was to die for! One scene is similar to the movie 9 1/2 weeks. I'll give you a hint: ice cube. EXCEPT it was way hotter. Little Ms. June Cleaver definately lets her hair down when she's with Mick. I fell hard for Mick. He was so sweet with Jenny.

"Always," he added then. "No matter where I am or what I'm doing. I'm wanting more of you."

There is a problem though....Mick is in a little bit of a predicament and NO ONE can know he's in town. He could land himself in serious trouble if Jenny tells anyone...not to mention everyone in Destiny would have a coniption if they knew the sheriff's daughter was seeing the town's old troublemaker. None of that matters to Jenny. She's finding that Mick makes her feel free and she's done following all the rules. Mick can't believe his luck. Is sweet little Jenny really into him? He's thrown and thinks it'll never last. In his mind, he could never deserve her. In her mind, he's everything she's ever wanted.

"You make me live, Mick. You force me to live. I came here to bury my head, but you make me live."

"I don't care what these people think of me-- I only care what you think of me. As long as you love me, honey, my life'll be better than I ever thought it could."

I'm not going to tell you why Mick's in town or what he's up to, because that would take all the fun out of the story for you! I will tell you that things get a little bumpy at the end. There's a misunderstanding and emotions are all over the place. Overall, this was a great read and it's on my favorite list. There were really funny moments and really sweet moments. I'd definately recommend you give it a shot!
on October 4, 2013
I absolutely love this book! I got this one as a freebie and I fell in love with it right from the start. I can't say enough about this book, it kept me up late reading my Kindle Fire at night when I should have been asleep!!! Couldn't put my Kindle down!! I love the ending, I cried and smiled throughout this book. I felt like I was right there with them. This is a series about the town Destiny and each book is about different families in the town. Can't wait to purchase the next one!! Well worth the money if you have to pay for this book.
on August 29, 2015
I enjoyed this story and characters. The only thing keeping it from 5 stars is it slowed down in the middle. Some things could have been left out and the story would have still been strong. Mick's dangerous secret wasn't so dangerous as it was important to keep it a secret. I will read this author again.