Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on August 2, 2012
I'll start with the book's most insignificant offense and work my way up.
First, a lot of lyric quotes have very minor differences from the lyrics printed in liner notes of U2 releases. A small issue, but in turn very distracting when the author is trying to sound authoritative on his subject, especially when correct lyrics are so readily available. Oh well, whatever, nevermind.
BUT...there's also a claim that Adam Clayton converted to Christianity which I couldn't find substantiated anywhere else, including the book he claims as its source (the interview with Bono book, a much better read btw).
Scripture is sometimes paraphrased in a way that makes it hard to find what he's talking about (as for the "opening of Isaiah" he quotes, I still haven't found what I'm looking for (commenters are welcome to help me out).
My most ill-at-ease feeling about this book comes from the way the theological stuff is presented. It seems that the author just wants to get it out of the way so he can get back to talking about how awesome U2 are. Especially considering the book is aimed at those "seeking God," this is a little perplexing. I, myself, am not seeking U2. I know how awesome they are. I would suspect that anyone who cares enough about them to read books about them does as well.
Speaking of reading books about U2, unless this is your first encounter with anything that's been in print in the last, I don't know, twenty years, you won't read much here you didn't already know. The book is bogged down with U2 facts that even casual fans probably know (Rattle and Hum wasn't well received by critics, Adam had a problem with booze, Bono was involved in the Jubilee campaign, blah blah blah). What's worse, is that the facts very often have nothing to do with the point he's trying to make! Presenting U2 trivia in this manner doesn't give you much credibility. I think it does the reader a disservice to not assume his or her level of familiarity with the subject. Again, if this is your first read about U2, you might disagree on the importance of including biographical details and U2 history, but the book is presented as being for those "seeking God," not U2.
If you are interested in U2 as Christians, the two other books "Walk On" and "Carry Each Other" are much better written and much more interesting. You'd do better with those.
I appreciated the U2 as icon introduction, but I do want to caution U2 fans who are actually seeking God to seek him in the Bible, and keep listening to U2. U2 are great, they've always been and always will be my favorite band. You do feel God's presence at their concerts, and I have certainly felt the Holy Spirit at work in my soul when one of Bono's lyrics strikes me in a way it never had before.
For those genuinely seeking God, though, don't look for him in U2. Look for him in his Word to us, and rejoice that such a fine group of musicians and social advocates have done the same.
on October 6, 2009
Christian did a fantastic job on this book. I MUST SAY FOR THOSE SEEKING GOD or curious about god, religion, spirituality it is easy to understand. Nothing complicated such as the olde world bible and at times frusting for many deciphering words writen in the Holy Bibles. It is directed for those in their early years as christian later states in the books ending....... As well as a refresher course for those of us who have walked this path and know GOD... A pleasurable at your leisure type of reading at your journeys pace to be comfortable without any pressure of religion being pushed on you or feeling like you have to run to church because someone says the bible says you have to. you can develop your own personal closeness to GOD in the comfort of your own being and will. And one doesn't even have to be a U2 fan to understand.. With understanding the words coinciding with their songs of personal experiences and overcoming tradgedy as well celebrating triumphs successfully ; humbly they touch base with being human and given the grace to express themselves through a healthy release as well as messages of hope to every generation ..... AND TO REMEMBER BE PATIENT WITH OTHERS AS GOD HAS BEEN WITH YOU.
on January 19, 2009
Christian Scharen does not hide the fact that he is a U2 fan. This book seems to mainly be written for those who are both fans of U2, and Christians trying to figure out what it really means to be a Christian. I like the author's use of some pretty deep theological sources (Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Martin Luther, and Henri Nouwen among others), as well as basic quotes from the popular press and from U2 themselves.

The possible danger comes in seeking too much, both from this book, and from U2 themselves. Back about 1990, I saw one of Bono's first national network TV interviews in the US, and he said something that I think we should all remember. It was something along the lines of this: "Some people want to elect me to be the pope or something. And I obviously wouldn't make a very good pope." U2 are in their element as a rock band that breaks the 1970s to 1980s mold of what a rock band should be. I love it when Bono talks economics with the Chairman of the US Federal Bank, and blows his doors off! I think U2 are a "Voice crying in the wilderness." But also be aware that they are human, and will make mistakes, go off on tangents, and generally screw up every once in a while. Look where they point, don't look for the answer in them.
on September 18, 2013
This book help us to understand the music of U2 in a deeper way. Some of the symbolism in their music can be lost to many because of the Irish background we are unfamiliar with or the depth of insight they have gained from their Bible study. I really enjoyed how this put it all in perspective. It has opened up their music to me in a fresh way.
on February 12, 2015
Really interesting study of Bono, the Edge and U2s spirituality. Obviously loves their poetry and their insights and keeps away from dogmatic analysis. If you want to understand the best of that generation, look closer at U2.
on January 27, 2014
Excellent job of encapsulating U2, their faith, and the gospel that guides them. This is a book for seekers, but also for believers who want more depth.
on August 26, 2014
Who doesn't like info about U2??
on January 9, 2007
Inspirational. Well-written. Informative. This book is a must-have for any U2 fan. This book is also a fantastic tool for evangelism. Highly recommended.

- Stratos