Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 17, 2013
Ann Voskamp's writing style is poetic and flowing, and I've read reviews indicating that's bothersome. It's more a psalm than a gospel, more a poem than a narrative tale. But it IS her story, of coming through tragedy and trying one way to live and then dropping all her defenses and being open to whatever God gives.

Her view, her way of telling what she sees, and her bedrock foundation in Scripture make this a book worth having, even if you don't like her writing style.

I know there are folks who have problems with it. For example, her use of the Scriptural analogy of bride and groom to explain the relationship between Christ and His church, for example, apparently gives some people the heebie-jeebies. (I would encourage them to remember just exactly WHERE she found that picture, to begin with.) Apparently, her finding God's fingerprints in her life on every single surface also undoes some people. I don't know what to say to them, except perhaps they might benefit from reading Brother Laurence's "Practicing the Presence." Perhaps the writing style in that book is more suited to their tastes, and the message is about the same: you find what you look for. Worship isn't singing, it's praising and serving and listening to God--things better done in the minutes of mundane life than in the hour or so most folks spend in church each week.
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 3, 2013
I have just watched the first session of the study; glanced at the study guide and I am so excited to do this with a group. Ann has a profound way with words. This is the new year and it is a great time to go to the deep places of Euchristeo - Grace, Thanksgiving and Joy. Ann leads us there with a gentle calming and rich teaching of God's word. I am so happy with the clean, lovely simplicity of the filming. (I can't be the only one who doesn't like canned/cheesey clip art!)
I am a fast paced person and although I like the speed I live at, it also is my downfall. I usually get bored with those who try to slow it down and smell the roses really quickly. If you are like me I want you to know this is slow like a perfect day at the beach - you won't want to go one second faster but just soak it in and do it again.
I believe this study will enrich me and take me to a deeper relationship with God, the God who breathed the stars into existence and the same God who loves you and me and will bring healing and abundant life to us daily. That's worth 5 stars isn't it?
on September 24, 2016
The book "One Thousand Gifts" was beside my bed at a Bed and Breakfast in Scotland and I was so interested in it that the owner of the house said she would like me to keep it. I took it back to Australia with me and 19 women gathered together to watch the DVD teaching by Ann Voskamp, and we also bought the accompanying study guide. Some of us also bought the book "One Thousand Gifts." I have now spent the last three months daily writing all the blessings and things I notice during my day, to thank God for. The discipline of thanksgiving and gratefulness is transforming the way I think, and therefore feel. As Ann Voskamp teaches, as we give thanks we are filled with joy.
on February 21, 2017
I was so touched by this book that I bought 25 additional copies to give away to all 7 of my children, all my nieces, my friends, and inmates in the local jail. Ann Voskamp's style is beautiful and she inspires her reader to new heights of love and gratitude to God. I volunteer in a local county jail and in the 13 years that I have been going there, I have never seen a book so deeply touch the inmates. One girl said that she had never before cried while reading a book, but she cried her way through this one and read it in one day. Thank you, Ann for sharing your gift of expression and your love for the Lord.
on October 15, 2015
One Thousand Gifts is one of the best books I've ever read. I loved it so much that I decided to lead a bible study for the first time ever. This book and study helped me to see God's gifts no matter what my circumstances may be. I highly recommend it. Truly life chancing.
on December 14, 2013
A beautiful well written book which tugs at the heart strings of one's mind and soul. A challenge to be sure to open the eyes of our heart and to live lives of gratitude in all things.
on August 21, 2016
Probably the single most important book I have read to enhance my spiritual growth (besides the Bible). I have read it, listened to it on tape, and now led a group discussion on it. And still, I get more from it every time I pick it up. Written in an earthy, real, almost poetic style by a woman. But men! don't let that keep you away from the deep, thought provoking spiritual truths woven all through this gem of a book. (Most of the men in our study group said in the beginning they did not like the style of writing. By the end of the book, all of them agreed it was an amazingly powerful and enlightening read.) Thank You Ann Voskamp!
on January 15, 2016
I am facilitating a class using the video and the study guide. I love how this study guide works so well with the video. It makes leading the class quite a bit easier. I love this book.
on April 4, 2017
This is a Kindle book and being a study guide doesn't really work life a booklet you can write in.
on September 14, 2013
The components of this guide are very helpful in reviewing the DVD that accompanies it. However, I've found that in facilitating a study, I need to pull together or exclude parts of it in order to make complete sense of the goal for each session. The discussion questions are thoughtful. I found some can become somewhat repetitive, however, even though they are worded differently. It is a valuable tool.