Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Board book|Change

Showing 1-10 of 188 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 212 reviews
on October 7, 2014
It's an AWESOME little book, with amazingly drawn pictures. My only complaint is that the flips are the cheapest I've ever seen with a professionally printed book and glued on, toddlers can easily rip them off (but easily glued on again too, so that's the big plus). It's worth the money and a fun little book with amazing drawings. First looking at it, you're so scared to open any flap, but all pictures under the flap aren't too scary, so most of the scare is the suspense on the parents part with suspecting the worse we've filled our heads with. Anyway, awesome book, worth the price.
-Scott's wife, Mary
on March 10, 2017
Adorable book bought for my son's first Halloween. I've seen a lot of complaints about the flaps and yes they are made of a thick paper NOT cardboard but they are pretty secure I think. I'm sure eventually my son will manage to rip some of them off but I paid less than $5 for this book so I'm not worried about it. He will have a lot of fun with it until the flaps wear out (if they do). Totally worth it to me!
review image review image
on October 28, 2015
A Halloween favorite! This October my daughter has been very interested in all the Halloween characters and events so I wanted a book that would help her begin naming them and identifying them so she would recognize the people and objects in our Halloween festivities. The book counts from one to ten with a flap on each page "hiding" each set of objects. If you are wondering which items are introduced, they are a haunted house, black cats, cauldrons, Jack-o-lanterns, owls, bats, spiders, brooms, ghosts, and the final page is 10 monsters including two witches, a devil, a ghost, a dragon, mummy, vampire, Frankenstein's monster skeleton, and a werewolf. The I llustrations are cute and my daughter does not find them scary. At 21 months, I wasn't sure if my daughter would be able to use a lift-the-flap book without damaging it. She seems to be at the right age to understand to lift the flap and not to try to pull it off. We both enjoy this book and it has been her first choice at bedtime since we got it.

Like other lift-the-flap books, the flaps can be easily damaged by misuse. After many frequent readings, the flaps were still in good condition. However when a friend came over who did not treat the book as gently as my daughter does, one of the flaps became crumpled and another was pulled partly away from its "hinge". For children who are not particularly gentle with their books, or in a setting with many children using a book, a lift the flap style story may not be the right choice. Aside from the notorious problem with flaps in any book of this style, this is a great book!
on October 1, 2016
Thin, cheap, AWFUL flaps! I know it has been said by other reviewers, but I thought with such high overall ratings maybe the flaps weren't so bad. They are SO bad. I am scared to open them as an adult. It would be ridiculous to assume this would last more than one or two readings in any home. The overall quality of the book feels like something your kid might get with a meal at a fast food restaurant. There are really cute illustrations but I felt like the writing was just so-so. Nothing too memorable. I had purchased as a gift for a two year old but once it arrived knew I would have to find something else. Even though this is a really low price, it is just not worth it. Save your couple of dollars and go for something else.
review image review image review image
on April 3, 2013
This is my son's favorite book. The size is perfect for his toddler hands, and he loves poking his finger through the hole in the front cover. The artwork is wonderful! It creates the perfect Halloween ambiance, without being too scary. The scariest image is a "skull" on a bookshelf, but it looks kind of like an alien face, not really scary. But it IS a haunted house complete with ghosts and other characters. It's a counting book (1-10). The price cannot be beat! I am currently shopping for other books with artwork by the artist. Highly recommended!
on July 15, 2015
My son loves this book, even when it's not Halloween! I purchased it last October (2014), when he was about a 1.5 years old, and we read it every night until Halloween. Now that it's summer, I keep it with the other seasonal/holiday books in his closet (away from his everyday books) and he still, at 2.5, loves this and digs it out to read it.

He especially loves the counting aspect of the book, as well as the flaps. When we get to the "door" flap, he loves to knock on the "door" and say "knock, knock!"

I, as the parent, like the pleasant rhymes and that it is not annoying to read.

The flaps are a little light/flimsy compared to other lift-the-flap books we own, but they have held up for us (even through a little rough handling from my son) and for the price I think this book is still a great value. If the flaps do eventually rip, I will most certainly be purchasing another copy and won't mind paying the $3 for it.
on November 27, 2016
This was the most read book of the Halloween season (and going into the Christmas season!!) The 2 year old I bought this for loves going through the spooky house and uncovering all the silly halloween things in places like the bathtub, and bookshelves. The flaps, like other reviewers had mentioned, are definitely flimsy - with that being said a trip to the book doctor (good ol' scotch tape) fixes that issue in case they were to get torn like so many other children's books do. The little girl I bought this for is very respectful towards books and for the past few months the flaps have yet to rip. I think it is a great little addition to a Halloween book collection.
on March 27, 2016
cute little book. pages dark and yes, rather cheaply produced - especially the flaps. unfortunatley our copy came damaged with marks/scratches all over the front cover and corners. it was intended as a part of a present and not worth cost/time sending back. so sadly, it was donated. if you are getting this book as a gift and would like it to arrive as new, consider something else...
on November 9, 2015
To get my 17 month old (mostly myself) into the Halloween spirit, I bought several themed books for him. This one is just ok, for his age. He likes it because it has flaps inside to pull back as we're going through the book. To me, it's too small. The pictures are very detailed and the illustrations are great - but, it's in too small of a book. The pages are thinner than a typical board book, but thicker than a standard book. It's a good size to fit in his hand, but to have nice pictures and the flaps inside, I think it should be bigger. This one just isn't our favorite, but it's cute.
on February 26, 2016
Very good little book that helps teach kids how to count and each cardboard page has a different interactive "flap" that you can bend or pull out.