Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

I'm a rabid Fforde ffan, so obviously I couldn't wait to read the next in the Thursday series. But this isn't the Thursday we know and love, nor is it the Bookworld we are used to. Bookworld's had a massive reboot and overhaul (Bookworld 2.0) and so the reading experience of it was dramatically different - more lively and easy to imagine.

We follow the written Thursday Next, not the proper real world Thursday Next, as she tries to solve the disappearance of the real world's Thursday, without letting anyone know the real Thursday is missing. The written Thursday visits Landon, who she has a crazy crush on (well, he was meant for her, right? Or, um, meant for the real Thursday, who she is meant to be just like.), and starts becoming confused about whether or not she may have suffered a mental breakdown and may actually be the real Thursday.

Through it all we have mimefields (terrifyingly scary), the written Thursday's new robotic manservant (love his way with a Tahiti Tingle - whatever manner of cocktail that is), and the usual problems with Pickwick the dodo and Thursday's malapropist house assistant.

If you're a fan, then you know you need to read it. If you're not, then for god's sake don't start reading here. Start with the Eyre Affair and go from there, in order, or you'll be hopelessly lost and think the series is a crazy load of tosh. Which it is, except - well, it's a cleverly-written, addictive, charming load of tosh that carries many rereads' worth of puns and word trickery. Seriously, you'll love it. Go get it now.
on January 12, 2017
This story is not about the same main character as the other six novels in the series... at least for some definitions of "same". The metatextual levels in this book, which have been piling up over the previous books hit critical mass here, in a nuclear reaction of wonderful-ness. The fictional Thursday Next from books 1-4 faces a mutiny from the rest of the characters in the story, who would prefer a more titillating heroine.She gets away from it all by helping the Juris-fiction police investigate a crash from an out-of-print book, and quickly becomes part of a intergenre conspiracy complete with androids, Men in Plaid (MiP), near-death experiences in a mime-field, taking shelter in the strange region of FanFic, all while hunting down her real-world counterpart. It's hard to pick a favorite in a series that consists of so many gems, but this may be the best of an exceptionally good bunch.
on August 15, 2014
I really enjoy Jasper Fforde's romps through BookWorld. Call me a book nerd, but I just really enjoy it. The Thursday Next series is awesome, and this book is no exception. It's set from the point of view of the Written Thursday Next, who is trying to find the RealWorld Thursday Next.

Some quotes that entertain my uniusual sense of humor:

p 7 - "Not many people traveled to the RealWorld, and those who did generally noted two things: one, that it was hysterically funny and hideously tragic in almost equal measure, and two, that there were far more domestic cats than baobobs, when it should probably be the other way around."

p 13 - "About ten degrees upslope of Fiction, I could see our nearest neighbor: Artistic Criticism. It was an exceptionally beautiful island, yet deeply troubled, confused and suffused with a blanketing layer of almost impenetrable bulls***."

p 69 "She wasn't the only one to be physically morphed by reader expectation. Miss Havisham was now elderly whether she liked it or not, and Sherlock Holmes wore a deerstalker and smoked a ridiculously large pipe. The problem wasn't just confined to the classics. Harry Potter was seriously pissed off that he'd have to spend the rest of his life looking like Daniel Radcliffe."

p 133 "'The less people who know, the better.' 'Fewer. The fewer people who know, the better.' 'That's what I meant.' 'That's what who meant?' 'Wait -- who's speaking now?' 'I don't know.' 'You must know.' 'Damn. It must be me -- you wouldn't say 'Damn,' would you?' 'I might.' We both stood there for an empty moment, waiting for either a speech marker or a descriptive line. It was one of those things that happened every now and again in BookWorld -- akin to an empty, pregnant silence in the middle of an Outland dinner party."
on August 17, 2012
Grade: A-

L/C Ratio: 50/50
(This means I estimate the author devoted 50% of his effort to creating a literary work of art and 50% of his effort to creating a commercial bestseller.)

Thematic Breakdown:
50% - Epic literary fantasy
30% - Detective mystery
20% - Satire of the publishing industry

As a rule, I do not dabble in book series. This is partly because they tend to exist most often in the fantasy genre (not my preferred reading area), and partly because I am afraid to get caught up in a series and not have time to get to other books I want to read.

I broke my rule by putting One of Our Thursdays Is Missing on my Kindle. I even jumped right into it without reading any of the earlier books in the series (gosh, I'm such a literary daredevil). I couldn't help myself. Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey (not part of the Thursday Next series) blew my mind when I read it last year, and I was craving more of his creative genius.

If you consider yourself a book geek, add One of Our Thursdays Is Missing to your reading list right now (or be smart and actually start at the beginning of the series with The Eyre Affair).

What Fforde has done is created BookWorld - a place inhabited by every piece of fiction ever written. Characters exist as citizens in BookWorld, performing their literary roles whenever someone in the real world is reading their book, and interacting with each other in their downtime. Fforde explains it better than I can, so I'll just shut up and tell you to check out his map of BookWorld to see how the genre-states are divided.

The setting kept me incredibly intrigued, but One of Our Thursdays Is Missing also features a solid detective mystery plot to keep things moving. What sealed the deal for me was Fforde's wittiness - his frequent jabs at the book industry and his fellow authors produced chuckles throughout.
on October 15, 2017
Amazon has not given me enough time between receiving the book and when I began reading it to do an adequate job of putting together a review. It does look like a winner based on what I have seen so far.
on March 18, 2011
A major subplot within this book deals with the "remaking" of Bookworld, into something geographical. Sadly, I can't help but feel that the reason for this is that Fforde's imagination has run up against the limits of Bookworld as he originally envisioned it. Or rather, that Bookworld as originally envisioned has run up against the limits of Fforde's imagination. Which is sad, because the bookjumping and footnoterphoning were some of the most creative and enjoyable aspects of the series, and each novel seemed to find some new way of answering seemingly ordinary questions with extraordinary (but logical) solutions. To replace them with taxis that attach themselves to books moving locations, for instance, is...uninspiring.

As, sadly, is most of this book. The plot's twists and turns aren't terribly twisty, and while one subplot does certainly keep us wondering, its resolution is a bit flat. There is still good humor here, and certainly some charm. But it is muted. Not only have we been here before, but so has Fforde, and it was a more exuberant and energetic place last time. Both Bookworld and the Outland have become more mundane. (And that is the sort of pun that is the best found in the latest edition of the series, where once it would have been middle of the pack.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I read it. But I think next time I'll wait for the library to get a copy, rather than preordering it on Amazon.
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 14, 2014
Having read the series all the way up to and including One of Our Thursdays is Missing, I must say this one is my favorite!

Yes, Thursday is missing, and it's up to the Book World's version of her to find out what happened. The story starts out a little slow, with lots of backstory and explanations. You wonder why it's being told from the literary Thursday's point of view, and not the "Real World" Thursday. But once the Book World Thursday meets a strange stranger on a train who informs her that "one of our Thursdays is missing," the story takes off.

This is a whole new Book World, one where Fiction is a series of islands that must be traveled by bus or Trans Genre Taxi, and that is why I love this particular book so. Gaiman Junction, Picoult Boulevard, the NaNoWriMo sea: it's like Fforde wrote this book just for writing and reading nerds like me!

I love, love, love One of Our Thursdays Is Missing! Thanks, Jasper Fforde, for writing it.
on April 24, 2016
All of the Thursday Next novels are written well enough to stand on their own. Absolutely. But Thursday's England is weird. And you should read all of her adventures. Because they're just that damn good.

Thurday's England hosts a cheese embargo, people who take literature so seriously that it is actively policed, werewolves, time travel, the General Standardized Deity (or GSD for short), villains who don't appear on film, other villains who live on in one's mind, Gravitube travel from London to Tokyo that takes just a couple hours...I honestly can't see why anyone wouldn't want to be involved in this.
on February 10, 2013
It seems like the author was also missing Thursday Next as I was. Having read the first five novels, I had about given up hope of another Thursday Next adventure when this one popped out of BookWorld into my hands. As I opened it to read I discovered that Thursday Next was missing and presumed dead! What a bummer! Who in the world was I going to be reading about if not Thursday Next? Some pretender, some wannabe Thursday? I didn't want last Thursday or next Thursday, I wanted the real Thursday. How can one of our Thursdays be missing? you ask. That's a good question, which to answer involves details of the BookWorld, namely Fiction Island, and its inhabitants.

. . .

Finally the written Thursday gets a clue as to the presence of a live Thursday when she uncovers the name Tuesday Laste on the passenger list of Mediocre Gatsby's TransGenre Taxicab. But she encounters some deep epizeuxis in this conversation with Sprockett about Commander Herring, known by all as Red. The horror, the Horror, the HORROR!

[page 282] "What about Red Herring, ma'am?"
"I'm not sure. Is Red Herring a red herring? Or is it the fact that we're meant to think Red Herring is a red herring that is actually the red herring?"
"Or perhaps the fact you're meant to think Red Herring isn't a red herring is what makes Red Herring a red herring after all."
"We're talking about serious metaherrings here. Oh, crap, I'm lost again. Who's talking now?"

We're nearing the end of the book and this blurb. If you have enjoyed neither, then all I can say is, "Why don't you go do a Plot 9 on yourself?" Yes, you will have to read the book to find out what it means, but I assure you if that's the case, you will understand completely how appropriate the expression is. (See page 286 reference, which will only tantalize you.) Perhaps two ladies of negotiable affection will arrive in time to rescue you. I can only leave you with some pseudo-erudition which the written Thursday Next picked up in HumDram: "You're kind," I replied, "but last Thursday and next Thursday are still a week apart." (Page 302) If you have any questions of me, you can leave me a message on the shortwave colophone which I monitor continuously when I'm not busy thinking. (Page 322)

I must close this immediately as I feel a Emergency Snooze Protocol 7B being initiated. May you be forever safe from the antikern and from Owlcreeking.

The full review (of which this is but a blurb) can be found in DIGESTWORLD ISSUE#115 by Bobby Matherne.
on May 29, 2015
Jasper Fforde is one of my favorite authors, and his Thursday Next series is amazing. You'll love its creativity, and it is well written to boot. Buy this!!

These books are all about the adventures of Thursday Next, a literary detective. Her world is similar to ours, with subtle (and not so subtle) differences. VERY entertaining if you enjoy puns, and fun quirky literary references. Very well written. The action keeps going, and leads you away from where you may have guessed. Really, in Thursday's town of Swindon, in her England, almost anything can happen. It is silly and beautiful and just so much fun. If you are a literature geek, and also love a little adventure or detective story... read these books! So creative.