Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 19 reviews
on January 14, 2013
this book is a treasure! i read it before, during, and after my kids were in their very early years. i have also given it to many friends who are pregant or have young children. it is a beautifully written journey about the psychological development of human infants, which grasps the complex science behind it. there is no "dumbing down" of the work in this field (predominately Margaret Mahler) but it is presented for a non-technical audience. It reads like poetry and helped me maintain my sanity during the most stressful periods of bringing up my kids during their early years.
on February 16, 2016
Best book I have found to understand early emotional development. Gave to my daughter when pregnant. Gave to any student in my classes that was pregnant or a new mother. Reread when I had grandkids. Excellent.
on July 27, 2014
This is a classic text in understanding infant and child development. A must-read for all expectant and new parents (that means, you too, men). Behavior is so much easier to understand when put in the proper contexts.
VINE VOICEon July 4, 2002
As many other reviewers have stated, this is a helpful book. But I just wanted to note that it is very mom-focused. The author acts as if the bond with the mother is the only bond, and the father just happens to be hanging around. Since it was written in 1978, this could have something to do with it, but I would argue that, while the bond with the mother is very important, parents can do quite a lot to assure that the baby is bonding and close to both parents. Just something to keep in mind. (This isn't meant to be a review of the whole book, just a side note.)
on November 3, 2016
bought for my son and daughter-in-law. i love this book
on December 11, 2016
The book arrived as promised.
on August 10, 2009
I have had plenty of mental health professionals tell me that Kaplan is out of date and somewhat obsolete. To some degree I can see this being true. Her writing clearly comes from an era where Mommy is THE caregiver and Dad must be off smoking cigars all day. Once I blocked out the rather single minded view of care giving that seemed to date the research to another era, it was an enjoyable read. Kaplan helps parents understand and empathize what your baby, who can't speak on their own, might be experiencing. I felt it gave me more patience because I could relate better to the frustration my son was sometimes exhibiting and it also gave some insight as to what he might need from me. Now I watch my son's crawling away and coming back to home base with a new appreciation and awe for the incredible developmental gains children have in those first years.

I have read some of Daniel Stern's more current work on infant psychology, but it didn't "speak" to me the way Kaplan does. This book is an easy read that doesn't feel too technical or to "out there".
on May 27, 2015
An exceptional book for all parents too read. Dr Kaplan is a loving and serious professional.
on December 27, 2014
This book was no doubt very powerful when it was first published. It has since then gotten very outdated, though, with its antiquated views on family structures, gender and sexuality. The descriptions of the child's development are still very informative, in particular as they relate to very earliest development phases. There are probably many other more recent books that cover that ground as well, but with a more updated understanding of family structures and attachment styles.
on August 6, 2009
This book is an excellent distillation of Margaret Mahler's work on Separation/Individuation and every mother of a newborn will find it eye opening regarding the psychological development of her child. Easily understood by the non-professional.