Oil month Automotive HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Onimusha Warlords

on March 16, 2017
I periodically buy this game for like 50 cents every 5 years just because there is nothing else like it ever made. Not even the sequels. It's a samurai Resident Evil with an unbelievable amount of depth in its gameplay. The combat system in this game is more obtuse than the tax code, but so satisfying if you can master it.

It's also a bizarre, surreal journey through a feudal Japanese stronghold that matches you up against powerful demons. This game is like a modern re-telling if Orpheus's journey to Hades. Weird game.
on March 9, 2017
Warning: I'm about to negatively criticize a very popular game. If this somehow offends you, stop reading now.

Pretty disappointed with this game. It's commonly praised as one of the greatest PS2 games of all time and is usually suggested as a PS2 essential, but I really can't see why.

First, the story is a cliché "save the princess, kill the monsters" plot. There's not much originality to it, so that's all the attention I'll give it.

The combat is hopelessly tedious and feels more like a chore than actual hack n slash fighting. Killing an enemy has never been more unsatisfying for me before I played this. You don't get any real combos, just smash a directional button with square or use a cheap elemental attack when equipped with a special weapon. And somehow, the developers managed to even make burning a zombie on fire boring.

Next is how there is really no actual exploration in this game. It pretends to have such, but even Crash Bandicoot for the PS1 is an open world free-roamer compared to this.

You know how I said the combat was a chore? Well, the puzzles are even more so. Don't get me wrong, I love a good puzzle (one of my favorite video games series is the Legacy Of Kain series, which eats and breathes tricky puzzles), but here in Onimusha, they are poorly applied and I find myself dreading a future occurence of solving another one.

Another huge gripe I have with this game is its use of directional buttons and clunky tank controls. An unholy combo. Who actually thought that this control scheme was a good idea? Even after getting used to the controls, I can't stand them and it really ruins the immersion of the game in my opinion. Even R2 (lets you turn around quickly) doesn't do enough to redeem it. This control shouldn't even exist. They should've just went with normal controls.

As for visuals, I won't complain about the graphics. I'm no graphics snob and I can understand what I'm seeing on-screen, so that's all there is to it. The backgrounds are pretty uninspired and drab, and it's clear that they aren't rendered in true 3D, so this may be why. They actually do serve their purpose, but unfortunately, that's *all* they do.
The cutscenes seem to be there only to break up all of the "fun" there is to be had from mindless smashing square and the "joys" to be had from solving those awful puzzles. They do nothing to actually make me interested in any of the characters or their endeavors. They just talk a little to remind you that they're still pretending the plot is anything more than an excuse, and then the cutscene's over.
None of the plot points, reveals, etc in this game illicited any reaction from me. Not even an apathetic "Okay".

The voice acting is also good as far as the Japanese dub is concerned (didn't bother with the English one), but sometimes seems poorly mixed and I often find myself having to constantly adjust the volume on my TV, because sometimes it's too high, and sometimes it's too low.

I will admit that I did like the character designs, (special mention for Samanosuke's pragmatic attire, which wasn't too flashy and for the most part, looked like actual samurai armor). Much more so than the ones in Onimusha 2, but I'm not reviewing that game, so no further mentions are needed.

In conclusion, this game is almost 16 years old and it's painfully obvious. I only play PS2, and not a fan of newer generation gaming. I hate to say it, but this game certainly is outdated.
I'll probably sell it to someone who will appreciate it more than I did, because right now, all it's doing is taking up space on my shelf.
on April 3, 2016
I never played this game when it first came out when I was young, but since I have a working PS2 and heard that a new Onimusha may come out for PS4 I figured I'd give the trilogy a try. The story was cool, I personally like Japanese Historical fantasy genre, this game reminded of the first Resident Evil games with the "herbs" and terrible character movement controls and camera. The only thing that stopped me from rating this game highly were its bad movement controls and fixed camera. Now I can understand that this was a cinematic game and that those camera angles were put for effect but enemies disappearing and attacking/killing off screen or out of view really grind my gears. But that didn't make the game unplayable and you sorta get use to it... sorta. But beating the game actually felt satisfying.
on August 23, 2016
Cover art/manual look very good. Not the original case which was a bummer. And the disk even though it lacks a bunch of scratches came covered in fingerprints. Wasn't a fan of this.
But besides the ladder, it's good stuff overall. I'll buy from seller again if they got what I'm looking for.
on August 31, 2006
I just started this game last night for the first time. I am enjoying it a good deal. :)

Graphics: Great!

Controls: Good, but my only huge complaint is that I really wish that you could use the joy stick. :/

Camera: Same as Resident evil games, which is fine but, I kind of wish I had a little control.

Combat: Terrific! I love the lock on button. Makes fighting multiple enemies easy and smooth.

Story: Yep! :)

Dubbing: Terrible and laughable!! LOL I HIGHLY recommend playing this game in Japanese with English subtitles. :D

Overall: Great! I recommend it! ^_^
on July 31, 2001
when you start playing you start yawning.
The problem with games with pre-rendered backgrounds is that it completely ruins the pacing of an action game. If you look at any action film these days the camera and the elements being filmed all move.
This kind of cinematorgraphy goes back to the days of film before D. W. Griffith. Ie set the camera down and let the actor run around until he leaves the room. Then set the camera down in a new location and repeat.
If you like games like Resident Evil or Fear Effect this game is for you. Also if you like solving awkward puzzles, this game is for you. Any time one has to put an awkward puzzle into a game to mix up the game play means that one is totally out of ideas for the game. Like still cameras, awkward puzzles break the pacing of the game.
on February 11, 2018
sweet classic game needs no intro I really like the bosses so cool this is definitely a must play
on August 13, 2017
fast shipping A++++++++++
on January 25, 2015
This game is the reason I love PS2 over anything else out there, no x-box or nintendo, I do not even like video games but this got me bad, Oni, Devil May Cry and Onimusha my top best!. I strongly recommend it!
on November 15, 2017
Item was as promised with fast shipping
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.