Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on February 3, 2012
I usually don't do reviews but it time to give back to society. I have an iPhone 4S and when I did my research, I could not find any confirmations that the 4S would work. I even called Onkyo USA and they were pretty much worthless and would not give an authoritative answer that it would. I decided to ordered one cause I did not like the others docks on the market including the apple universal dock. In addition I purchased the DS-A4 from Amazon cause of their no hassle return policy.

Bottom line it works and sounds great playing music. Photos and videos work too. I have the component video cables hooked up to the Toshiba LCD TV for display and the results are excellent. I have the audio to my Onkyo SX 575 receiver input and it sounds awesome.

The best price I found was on amazon too. Like other reviewers the remote does basic functions only like play pause etc. That not a bid deal for me ...

Also it will not work with case/skin on your iPhone. I have one of the thinest cases made and it won't allow the phone seat on the apple connector so you get no sound and think it does not work. Take the case off and it works.
on July 11, 2013
I have a YSDL 11 Dock for both of my Yamaha receivers an RX-V1065 and an HTR 6080. They both use one cord to connect to the receiver, without any extra programming of the receiver. The Yamaha docks perform all basic functions including playback, search, stop, menu. Etc. By contrast this Onkyo dock, I can't get the Onkyo 809 receiver remote to recognize it, and I can't get it to display any album art using the dock. The iphone will not connect with the skin on it. Even with the receiver's usb connection the number of functions to control an Ipod or Iphone are limited. The receiver overall is great, the iphone or ipod controls are lacking a lot. Movie playback on my LG 55LW5600 is very nice but not 1080P looking using my Onkyo dock. I have another Onkyo receiver that is over 20 years old, and still works. I was just looking to update my home theater. I like my new receiver, the dock is the only feature that is not up to my expectations.
on May 14, 2013
I bought this along with the Onkyo TX-8255 Receiver. I am not doing anything extreme with this setup, I just wanted to be able to play my iPod through my JBL speakers. My old receiver was about 30 years old, so it was time for an upgrade. The wires to connect the DS-A4 to the receiver come with the DS-A4. There are the red/white/yellow cables, however there is no yellow connection on the receiver, and there is also another RI cable. Which is not required to use the DS-A4 but is nice. With this cable connecting the two devices, when I am playing the iPod, if I turn the receiver off, the iPod goes into sleep mode. I can also use the remote control that comes with the DS-A4 to control the volume on the receiver.
on November 1, 2011
The Onkyo dock gives excellent sound with my Yamaha receiver. It also allows controlling more of the iPod functions than did the Kensington dock that it replaced (damaged by a lightning strike). However it does not allow controlling the volume. This could be done if the receiver was a compatible Onkyo unit but not with another brand using a simple analog interface to the dock. In my case, volume control is the single most important single function since the sound system is used in a very large room (1800 sq. ft.) and I am often working well away from the receiver. I'll live with it but I sure wish the Kensington was still available.
on January 13, 2012
THis dock was very easy to set up and works great with supplied remote. Since most of the newer AV receivers have Ipod USB dock in front now, this item is still usefull for those older receivers. Fits all Ipods, and remote is easy to use once you get used to it.
on June 11, 2012
I have an Onkyo TX-NR1009 9.1 monstrosity which is equipped with a special USB interface. Unfotunately it is behind the front panel. Before purchasing this very good product, make sure you don't want the UP-A1 dock. The DS-A4 is a universal dock which won't do much for you if you have a newer model Onkyo Receiver with a PORT or Apple USB connection. I will use this on another receiver and get the UP-A1 for the TX that provides true on-screen display.
on September 14, 2016
This thing works great. It's kind of annoying that you can't use the iPod screen or click wheel while plugged in but otherwise this thing is cool. Sounds great and the remote works fine too.
on November 25, 2012
I purchased this thinking it would be easier to use my Ipod via the direct connect with my Onkyo Receiver TX-SR505. However the display through the TV is cumbersome and is far more difficult to access your music quickly. Instead I have this dock connected with the more traditional A/V audio cables. If you can find a cheaper iPod dock that connects through the standard white and red (left & right audio), that would be my suggestion.
on January 11, 2013
First off, I agree with just about every word in the review from the person back from October 2011 that rated 2 stars. I have hooked up plenty of complicated sound and video system setups and this was a tough installation for no reason - there are 5 wires coming out of the dock, 6 into the receiver and one into the wall for power. This is the first time that I had to go to YouTube to watch an installation. But don't let the setup deter you from your purchase, once you get it setup, you're good to go.

I found it extremely difficult to determine and understand the differences between Onkyo UP-A1 Dock for the iPod and Onkyo DS-A4 Remote Interactive Dock for iPod/iPhone (Black). I bought the A1 first, returned it, bought the A4 and will be returning it as well, so please allow me help...:

I initially ordered the UP-A1. It is ONLY for Onkyo units that have a universal port, not to be confused with USB or anything like that (If you aren't sure what the universal port looks like, Google it to ensure you know what it looks like). The universal port is the ONLY way to connect. I read over the product description plenty of times and didn't see that listed in the description - only that it works on units 2009 and newer. My unit is the S5400 7.1 system which was released in 2011 - one would think that I'd be good to go, but I received the unit and obviously couldn't connect because it doesn't have a universal port despite being released post 2009. I won't fault Onkyo for this at all as I'm sure I overlooked something at some point.

Now why the A4 is going back: I've had the unit connected for literally 15 minutes now and it's already back in the box. I was pumped to tear the box open after being disappointed that my receiver didn't have a universal port with the A1 and I was set on this being great. I connected it after a YouTube session because the instructions were confusing (mind you, I'm a tech nerd and still couldn't understand them completely). I by no means am an audiophile, but I was not impressed by the sound quality at all. I switched between USB and the dock at the same volume and it was night and day. USB is a digital signal therefore it will be cleaner than an analog signal. I was not aware that the dock's audio is connected via analog COMPOSITE cables (think red, white, yellow) and the video is connected via component which I'm sure isn't an issue for video.

I purchased this dock because I wanted on screen iPod control, so that I didn't have the bright white Apple iPod cord coming out of the front of my receiver and so that I didn't have to go to the receiver to change songs during a party or company. I will unfortunately be going without remote control until Onkyo releases something comparable to the USB connection. I don't have the need for video as I don't keep videos on my iPod and don't use an iPhone.

Purchase this product if you have an older Onkyo receiver that doesn't have a USB port to connect to iPod, absolutely need to have video output from your iPod, absolutely need to be able to control your iPod via remote or if you have another brand receiver and are just fond of Onkyo products. If you have an Onkyo receiver with a universal port, I strongly suggest you look at the Onkyo UP-A1 Dock for the iPod (which is cheaper than this dock anyway). I can't speak for the quality of the A1 with the universal port because as I mentioned above, my receiver does not have the port.

Please feel free to comment and I will try to answer any questions to the best of my abilities.
on March 1, 2013
I purchased this product after I had a chance to use it at my work.I love it at work and I do at home. What is important to me ,it is charging my IPod at the same time when I am playing my music.It was recommended by Siemens medical team and they were right. Excellent sound ,no problems at all. It is well build, you will know right the way when you touch it. I highly recommend it.