Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon harrypotter harrypotter harrypotter  Three new members of the Echo family Today only: Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on April 14, 2017
First thing I wanted to say, I was about to buy this item on Thursday night 4/13/2017 from Amazon, but ordering and shipping the item would not reach me till monday. Bought it locally in a Best Buy, but doing the review here.

I was very hesitant at first, I'm coming from the same model except it was upper model from this one but 3-4 years older lacking Atmos and DTS X, and newer updated feature. My older unit did have 30 watts more power and almost jumped to the matching similar unit, however, this one has more than enough and is updated with all newer sound codecs and older ones like DTS MASTER AUDIO, TRUE HD and legacy DOLBY DIGITAL, DTS, PCM etc. I choose this one because of the 4k 60fps, HDR10 pass thru, wireless AC and bluetooth. As a bonus it supports FireConnect and multiple streaming services like Pandora and Google Cast etc. Specs wise its up to date and supports everything out now in 2017.

The 2nd main reason for the purchase: It fits my home layout.

I have a 5.1 system installed and buying over head speakers in a month to make it 5.1.2. Jumping to newer upper models would only get me more power, visual changes and more speaker connections like 9.2, 11.1 etc so if you have no desire of adding more speakers to expand the sound, its not worth the jump because you'll pay for features you wont use. This 7.1 model will allow you to add two more speakers for Atmos and DTS X: (two speakers on top of your left and right speakers aimed at the ceiling to reverb back down or two on the walls aimed down). Which are easy installations than a 9.1 or an 11.1 and above system. The receiver allows you to select what layout you have. Menu is easy to use, simple, and very straight forward. Includes a setup microphone to determine distance and calibrates to avoid standing waves as well as speaker crossover.

After running the microphone calibration, you may need to fine tweak the crossover hertz rating on each speakers if you know them before hand. Sometimes auto calibrations changes them lower than they actually are, which can affect bass to your powered subwoofer. Lower the crossover on a speaker, less bass is pushed to the subwoofer, the unit 'assumes' the other speakers can push out heavy bass so it passes less bass signal to the subwoofer.

TIP: If you lack bass from a powered subwoofer after calibration, set all speaker crossovers to 80hz in the menu. Settings, crossovers, and switch them to 80hz. That should tell the receiver to allow the subwoofer to handle all low bass and midbass. If you have speakers that can output some bass, you can lower them but normally it's encouraged to let the subwoofer handle all bass no matter what setup you have. If you have satellite speakers (which have no bass) auto calibration should set them correctly (higher). This tip is only for more heavy duty tower/bookshelf speakers that lack built in 10 woofers.

TIP 2: Auto calibration does an excellent job measuring distance and also calibrates room resonance. This can be disabled and you'll run the receiver with whatever signal you send it. Quick setting on remote, AccuEx and set to off. You can also disabled Cinema Filter but not needed. (it only balances harsh recordings and makes it tamed for a home). When set to off, speaker distance stays active, but any fine tuning from the system is turned off. You have to make the choice, since each house sounds different.

PROS: Great sound, very clean, supports 4k 60fps,HDR 10, Playstation 4 and PRO compatible, Atmos and DTS X for object based surround (3D audio), more than enough power for a middle to large rooms, two wireless antenna, wireless AC blazing fast wireless speed and supports multiple digital radio stations like: spotify, sirius radio etc. Easy to follow and read menu, very straightforward not overly complex. Has two menu settings 'quick menu' for basic controls: subwoofer levels, on and off calibration settings. More compact remote which supports fast sound mode switching for movies, games and music. Keep pressing the button it cycles through various built in modes.. $799 to now $400 came out may 2016 and still getting firmware updates: latest one was Feb 23 which added: Support for FireConnect and enabled streaming from Network Services/USB/Bluetooth/Music server. Also Dolby Vision will be added in an update sometime in 2017.

CONS: It's very hard finding a con since the unit is pretty up to date spec wise and perfect price. If I had to nit pick, I would say the front chassis on the unit is not heavy aluminium like upper models. It's a brush, semi metal finish, semi plasticky, not solid metal. Sorta like a hybrid. Basic front design.

Final Thoughts. Completely worth the upgrade if you have a 5.1 layout and have no plans on jumping to 9.1 or 11.1 speaker system. You can take advantage of the 5.1 by adding the height speakers for Atmos and DTS X converting it into 5.1.2. My older unit had 30 watts extra per channel which allowed me to dial up the volume less to get more sound. You can do the same by just increasing the volume levels. No one plays receivers at full volume. The only benefit of higher volume would be less time to get to a higher volume level. Even though this unit has less power than my older system, it performers better, and much cleaner sounding than my old 3-4 year model. Very happy with the unit and only a day of playing with it.

EDIT 4/19/2017:

ONKYO UPDATE REGARDING DOLBY VISION SUPPORT

“Dolby Vision, will be coming to the company’s 2016 lineup of network 7, 9 and 11-channel models, ranging from the TX-NR555 to the PR-RZ5100, via a firmware update scheduled for later this year (2017).“ (That also includes this unit, the TX-NR656). I verified this over the phone with a representative from Onkyo after reading a few articles online on it.
review imagereview image
1010 comments| 180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 26, 2017
Purchase from Amazon March of this year. I have done 3 updates using WI-FI without any problems. The sound quality is above the price range of this unit. I have had No HDMI problems or any other problems with this unit. Others have reported units arriving DOA right out the box or HDMI issues. Just a note, if you research other units of other manufacturers have or had issues in the past or present issues it happens. For what I paid for this unit 349.00 new so far it's money well spent..I am using this unit in a 5.1.2 really like the DTS-X. For 2.1 music I have the EQ, set to my liking . I could go on about this unit, but the reviews are spot on with this unit. It is a good unit and it's performance is that of a much higher price unit.
0Comment| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 19, 2018
I've recently decided to upgrade my system from a older 5.1 pioneer D308 system (which was at it's limit for inputs etc). I have spent a day or so setting up this system as a 5.1 system with the intention to go to either a 5.1.2 or a 7.1 once I get my speakers sorted out. I am currently using Polks as my front speakers and Wharfdales for my rears and the sound is superb. I've tried auditioning music with 'direct' stereo mode and the sounds are crisp but a little lossy at the higher frequencies, however I have also used the stereo mode and my god it's like having the band be right in front of you. The sound-stage is incredibly clear. I have adjusted a couple of the levels and have used the MP3 enhancer which sorts out some lacking tones in the compressed audio. I am very impressed and as I do my own Audio mixing I can now actually hear the nuances of the professionally mixed stuff on my hi-fi vs my studio headphones. I believe the equalisation using the supplied microphone has really sorted out the echoics using pink noise profiling. I have not had a chance to use Atmos yet due to my speaker configuration but DTX and DTS both work well. The menus are clear and easy to navigate. I now use the app on my iPad to control the system and it works well (albeit with some minor issues). I am streaming all my music from my NAS (netgear readyNAS) and this system works well. It basically makes my SlimServer device redundant (which is a good thing since I'm trying to get rid of stuff). The Bluetooth connectivity works flawlessly as does the Airplay. Network radio is something new to me and I really like the fact that I can play any radio station in the world using my internet connection. If I don't have internet I can always use my local FM/AM reception!! Video passes through simply and the whole configuration of video/audio pairing is pretty straight forward. Basically you can assign any audio to pair with any video. All in all, I am very happy with my upgrade. I was not after a bells and whistle system but more for an all round entertainment unit for my living room. This unit has delivered in spades. Recommended for the normal person. I'm sure there are features on the more expensive units but in reality all I want to do is watch movies with surround sound, 4K resolution and listen to Pink Floyd in crisp fidelity (which I and doing right now and really enjoying it!!).
on August 25, 2017
Works good and sets up easily with initial setup. I've seen reviews of Onkyos getting hot and not having room in back to wire the speakers. I haven't had problems with either. I have nothing sitting on top of it and I'm using 16 gauge wire.
One problem is no RCA audio output jacks to hook up the recording side of a recording component such as cassette deck or CD recorder. But this seems to be a standard problem with all new receivers. Didn't find any receivers with RCA audio output jacks.
on January 16, 2018
I have this paired with a Kef system. Great features, great, clear sound. Good surround processing as well. Only complaint is that when connecting to web services for music (e.g. spotify, pandora), it usually fails to connect the first couple times. But once it does connect with the service, it works fine. Do download the remote control app for your smartphone. Works great with the system.
on December 22, 2017
This receiver sounds awesome! I have it paired with Polk speakers. I can't think of anything that it doesn't do... and it does everything well!
on January 16, 2018
Works good, very good sound. I wish it has four left and right channels instead of just two. I want more speakers around the room to fill the sound.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 9, 2017
Easy to use, compatible with all my speakers and devices, great sound throughput, attractive design
on April 21, 2017
My first non Sony receiver after 25 years. It is great. Easy to set up. Sounds fantastic.
on August 4, 2017
Great receiver !!!!!! Highly recommended...