Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Big & Rich GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 33 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 77 reviews
on February 2, 2010
The features I found most beneficial/annoying given my perceived needs and use for this receiver:

(+) Pros
- 135W per channel (on paper)
- under $700 (Amazon Warehouse Deals)
- network capabilities
- firmware update via ethernet
- THX Select 2 certified
- Burr Brown DAC
- Audyssey DSX / PLIIz processing (future proof)
- Audyssey setup is a breeze
- nice GUI
- macro functions on remote

(-) Cons
- sluggish network connection and lousy interface makes feature more of a novelty (knocks down the value of this unit a notch)
- runs hotter than other brands
- video processing not impressive
- "clicking" noise when changing audio signals/inputs
- Audyssey DSX / PLIIz processing more than I will ever need
- firmware upgrading not as smooth

I purchased this courtesy of Amazon Warehouse Deals. What a bargain! The unit arrived in mint condition. You could tell that it had been opened and pulled out, but the unit was in perfect condition and all of the documentation/accessories were in brand new condition. Definitely worth the savings over a new unit.

I was actually considering the SR707 or Pioneer Elite 21/23TXH but at the price I got the NR807, I thought it was worth stepping up. The Network capabilities and extra power (135W) I felt were worth the extra cost.

Not being a total newbie to AV electronics, I got all my connections done pretty quickly and the great looking GUI makes set up a breeze. The Audyssey setup was great. I tweaked the subwoofer setting for my personal taste, but that was it.

** HEAT ** Newer Onkyo's have been notorious for the amount of heat they generate. Honestly, the heat coming from my unit was very minimal since I put about 1.5"-2" space between the top of the unit and the shelf right above it in my AV cabinet.

** CLICKING NOISE ** I've been reading complaints about owners experiencing an audible 'click' coming from the receiver when audio signals change (eg. watching a TV show and then a commercial comes on or changing input CBL/SAT to BD, etc.). I had the same issue. It didn't bother me when changing inputs because you heard it just the one time during the switch, but watching TV (via my Motorola cable box) was a real annoyance. This was my fix: run audio from cable box to receiver via one of the NR807's optical inputs. Make sure you select that input as your CBL/SAT audio source via the NR807 menu. On the cable box settings, change audio to PCM. That's it. You set the listening mode on the receiver to whatever you like (DPLII, Stereo, Direct, etc.) and it stays there. No more clicking while watching TV.

I can't compare the sound performance of this receiver to anything out there, but I had no complaints. Music and movies sound great, but please take that with a grain of salt as I do not have a trained ear. I'm sure a $300 5.1 AV Receiver would sound just as fine to my ears given the size of my room and types of speakers I'm currently using.

Video processing wasn't as good as I'd hoped. My cable box and BD are hooked up through HDMI inputs and my XBOX360 is connected to the NR807 via Component and everything goes out to the Pioneer KRP500M via HDMI. I send the signal straight through to minimize any effects the processing might have on the signal.

If anyone that owns a 9th generation Pioneer Kuro will tell you, the blacks on those TVs are incredible. Well as it turns out, images from my cable box and BD through the receiver don't do the TV justice. You can definitely see a slight lift in black levels. For example watching very movie dark scenes from the Matrix or Aliens appear a bit washed out. Also where black bars would be as black as the Kuro's bezel watching 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies, the bars now appear a very dark grey. I played with all of the output options on the NR807 but couldn't get back the blacks that I enjoyed with my Kuro. When I plug those sources directly into the TV, the blacks are deep, dark and inky like I remember. Not having owned a modern AV receiver before maybe I was expecting more than what I experienced at this price point. The images aren't unwatchable, they just don't do a good enough job of simply passing the signal through.

One of the main reasons why I opted for this receiver was the Network feature to access music on my PC, Internet Radio/Pandora, and firmware upgrades. Problem is, it's slow and not as snappy as I'd hoped. I've got a powerline ethernet setup that the NR807 and my XBOX360 are hooked up to via 5-port switch. I have no issues with my XBOX360, but for whatever reason, the network experience on my receiver isn't as responsive. I did a firmware upgrade recently and it took 3-4 attempts to get it to work-- you can read other's horror stories in their reviews. Additionally, the interface leaves a little to be desired (maybe upgradable with a firmware update). Overall I came away disappointed and I found myself going back to my much more superior and slicker XBOX360 experience for those features (pictures, netflix, music, internet radio, etc). I can't completely blame the receiver for my issues as I had not properly done any troubleshooting of my network, but given the ease of the initial set up, this was a bit of a disappointment.

All-in-all this is a feature packed receiver. Onkyo's have been known for offering great values and I'd recommend this unit if your budget allows, you can look past its shortcomings, and you can get a great deal on one. The network features are a bit overhyped especially with all of the media streaming options that are out there. For my own needs the NR807 was overkill, but I felt I could grow with it and give me some "future proofing" (Audyssey DSX, PLIIZ, firmware upgrades via ethernet).

Unfortunately, as I type this review, I've packed up the receiver and will be returning it to Amazon. I got a great deal on a Pio Elite VSX21TXH directly through Pioneer which will save me some $ for other stuff, a proper Elite warranty, and will be more than adequate for my needs.

*** UPDATE *** I received and set up my new VSX-21TXH Thursday night. So far so good.

Quick comparison to the Onkyo NR807:
Pros:
- Runs cooler
- no clicking
- Video processing (Anchor Bay) much better
- net cost was nearly $400 less than the NR807

Cons:
- "TV/SAT" cannot be assigned to one of the HDMI ports (at least I haven't figured out how to do it)
- Onscreen menu not as user friendly
- Onkyo remote had a better lay out + macro functionality
- no built in network functionality (though I wasn't impressed with the NR807s)

All in all, I don't regret my decision because for the $ I paid for the Pioneer, it was an incredible value.
on May 31, 2010
When you buy a receiver with a small embedded computer in it, I guess it may be reasonable for some people to accept weekly crashes, however, it's a bit frustrating that I'm reduced to having to "reboot" my receiver by pulling the power cable out of it about once per week.

It loses audio aka no sound... the fix? A "simple" hard reset.

Weak Onkyo, weak. It's got updatable firmware and even on the current firmware, no fix in sight. Plenty of people reporting this on the AVS forums as well for months.

For the money, I'd appreciate a working product. Skip this receiver.
on November 28, 2011
Bought this receiver last Dec 2010, Stopped working after 8 months, no sound even after firmware update. I would not expect to pay 1000.00 for a receiver and have it go out within a year. Onkyo, I thought had a good name and was excited to get this unit. Boy was I surprised to find out different. I have never had a receiver that i spent so much money on. Normally I can't afford to spend this much money on something such as a receiver, and normally buy cheap Sony's or off brands. I thought I was going to treat myself, don't make the same mistake that I did. BUY SOMETHING ELSE....... If you will just look this unit up on the WWW and see the problems people have had. please please please...do your homework and pick another model or brand....not this one. Again I have had this unit almost a year, not just bought or just had a couple of weeks. Don't believe the hype on this unit stay away.
on February 13, 2016
I paid $794 and after 3.5 years I get no sound to the speakers. Sounds like a known issue that others have had. I expect more for this kind of money.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2010
I love this receiver. It is built to last and has a ton of inputs and speaker options. I can't wait to install my in-wall speakers for the extra high speaker option. I had an older Onkyo home theater receiver which I loved but it didn't have the hdmi inputs. This receiver lasted for years and now my son is using it at his home. I would recommend this receiver even to the serious audiophile and video enthuiasts..
on January 17, 2010
I bought the unit back in Oct but I didn't set it up until Dec as that was when I bought my new plasma tv. The unit worked great, excellent picture good sound, for about an hour and half at which time the sound cut out. I tried all the troubleshooting steps listed in the instructions to no avail. I contacted Onkyo and they said I'd have to send it to an authorized repair store on my dime but that it was still under warranty so the repairs would be free and the repair shop would ship it back to me for free. All that took place though the repair shop called me twice to let me know they were ordering new parts so it ended up taking around a month to get the unit back. Got it hooked it up again and again I was happy with the pic and sound then after using it for around three hours then, while watching the blu-ray of Amadeus during the Don Giovanni scene, the sound cuts out again and a plume of smoke rose from the unit. So I'll be on the phone with Onkyo and probably the repair shop on Monday (Sunday now) to see whats what. I realize I'm probably just unlucky and have a especially poorly constructed unit but I can't recommend this unit.
on March 11, 2010
If you are a friend I can't really recommend this receiver; if you are not a friend (and want to stay that way) please purchase one. Programming errors include handling of Dialog Normalization (roughly 1 second of sound drop out) and after attempting to update firmware on-line and no update available it leaves the remote control inactive--you must power it off and back on from the front panel. Further, every so often it just simply turns off the audio out and the ONLY way to get it back is to unplug power from the unit for a moment. On the first problem Onkyo says that is normal for dolby. My response is it isn't normal on ANY other dolby receiver I've owned, listened to, etc. On the second problem Onkyo says try resetting back to factory settings. If the factory setting (which speakers etc) is the only way it will work I don't want it. Sorry, Onkyo, my previous Onkyo I loved, it just didn't have enough HDMI inputs, but this unit is a design failure.
on March 20, 2012
Great receiver while it lasted, unfortunately six months out of warranty and it completely quite working. Onkyo customer service was less than helpful and they have very few service centers on the west coast. Sad to think I have a thousand dollar paper weight after two years. Stay away from Onkyo products.
on May 18, 2010
Great receiver with many speaker connections and options, though a little complicated to understand for a first-time owner like myself.
on January 27, 2010
The idea is to dl the unwashed facts.

I am not an audiophile. I can and do build my own computers as well as just about anything with wheels and this is the 4th AVR I have owned.

This machine replaces a dead 6 year old Onkyo. It is a drop in into my 6.1 living room setup although it did not just "drop in".

The good:
Connectivity, the global kind- . The packaged internet features offer a vast improvement over the AM/FM airwaves, both in sound quality and shedding the mindnumbing drivel. I have not tried to add alternate sites to the list yet. The machine has recognized my home network and works with my stored musical content.
Connectivity, the input/output kind- Despite omissions to legacy analog stuff, there are ample connections. The amount of HDMI connections alone is atypical of <1000$ machines.
Power- I expect to add an amp and speakers to this setup for a 9.1 height system in the future. The added amp is to get dedicated outputs for true 9.1 which is not possible with the 807. It is a 7.1 AVR with a pile of extra connections to share the 7.1 output in different configurations. DO NOT THINK OF THE 807 AS ANY MORE THAN A 7.1 RECEIVER (with options)!
That said, the power is exceptional. It becomes uncomfotable due to volume but my ears do not detect any distortion at any level. Incidentally there is a maximum volume setting that is factory preset to allow the user to modify the range. I haven't played with the setting and probably won't. No need to put my ears or my equipment through that. This box is not your fathers receiver. It is a beast.
Heat. I am pleased and surprised that this box puts out less heat than it's predecessor. Since it is inches taller than my previous Onkyo I raised the shelving to allow a six inch ventspace over the unit anticipating the Onkyo heat but that turns out to be overkill.
Reliability- Reports of sound cutouts and the need to depower and then restart can be found in these reviews and elsewhere. That has not been the case with my unit. It has performed reliably so far, a month at this writing. I should note that I do depower the unit nightly through my conditioner/generator. I am not an electrical engineer and have no idea whether that activity is affecting the chances of unintended cutouts.
Reasonable interface- Audessey setup was a breeze although I was familiar with the process. I will put my own tweaks in as time passes but for now the time spent was little, the result was impressive.
The On Screen Display is not particularly thrilling. Neither is it rudimentary. Regarding complaints that it is not polished remember the function of the display. It is the point of interface and from it the user gets information and issues commands. On that basis it is both reasonably formatted and intuitive. Further moaning at the bar is for wishes that don't merit granting. In a few clicks of the remote the user will have mastered the fundamentals of communicating with the 807. That is its function and Onkyo has done a fine job of it.
Cost- Within a two or three year timeframe, a machine sporting these bells and whistles would have set me back five times what I paid through Amazon. The package of tech and power, brains and brawn still has me on a learning curve.

The not so good:
Relays clack- Onkyo claims that that is the way it is. Relays click and clack when they are called on to shunt power. Shame on Onkyo. Onkyo should say "Unlike other Onkyo receivers, both legacy and current, as well as the receivers sold by our main competitors, the NR807 uses the clacking variety relays. They were speced for this machine, we have made thousands of these units which we absolutely refuse to admit fault with lest we be forced to do the honorable thing and correct this issue." I'm not holding my breath. As it is the click happens maybe once every ten minutes on average. YMMV.
For the record I am not put off by the clicking. If I had a dedicated theater room with all the toney accoutrements I would have long since boxed this up and returned it from whence it came but the course of my life is less refined and my home theater is 90 percent home, 10 percent theater. A little background noise is hardly reason to lose sleep.
Passthrough?- Maybe. If you can call at a minimm layering your information, like input type, volume indicator, etc. over the top of the signal. The data stream may not be altered but the resulting picture is not the same as the source material. Small potatoes you say? Maybe so, but I would like the passthrough function to be exactly that.
Analogue sound outputs- Not. No concern of mine but there are many who swear by them. This is their showstopper.
Wireless connectivity- Not. I can't imagine why someone would spend this kind of money and then mench about lack of wireless capability when hardwired ethernet is so much superior but there you have it.
Net functionality- Not stand alone. These subscriber services that Onkyo includes require the use of a computer to make functional and to maintain. It doesn't have to be connected to the machine or even the network but it does have to happen. I have a HTPC at the TX-NR807 so it is a nobrainer for me, but by the same token I already subscribed to Pandora and VTuner through the computer and played those stations and others through the home theater prior to the addition of the 807 so what I gained in the 807 networking is redundancy, and limited redundancy at that. Still, too much is better than not enough and if I were in the market for a receiver and my computer was not regularly integrated into my home network, the net functionality would be a big deal.
Net funtionality Part 2- Not a showstopper but the net log on is automatic and it is hit and miss. Mostly miss. I am a high speed DSL subscriber and have wired ethernet throughout the home. Things happen quickly on our monitors. Nonetheless the 807 takes minutes to do its business on startup handshaking the worldwidewebs. Makes me cringe. That is if it gets lucky on the first date. Often the process has to be repeated a time or two but once connected it never drops out. So there's that.
Output sourcing. You get what you got. I run practically everything out of the 807 through HDMI but I have need of component out also due to the wife persons unwillingness to adapt to the seamless integration of the 807 into our lives that I promised.
That means that I have to run a macro through the remote forcing the series of button pushes the Onkyo needs to change from HDMI to component out for my wifes ancient DVD changer. It doesn't strike me as that hard a thing for Onkyo to do to retain routing patterns for activities. I guess I'm wrong on that because I have had to teach the remote to create the changes each time the demand changes.

On balance, I feel like I made good use of my home theater budget this year. The 807 will have to last me at least five years for me to feel good about the outlay. In the meantime if it continues to behave itself it was money well spent.
77 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse