Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 239 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 453 reviews
on August 30, 2008
I'll start by saying I'm not an Audiophile. I just wanted a decent mid-range receiver that does all the latest lossless audio formats and has 7.1 channels so it's ready to take advantage of BluRay as that format evolves. So my primary focus is on a system that plays audio for movies and video games as it's primary function. Currently I have this receiver setup in a 5.1 configuration since that's the type of receiver it replaced. I have more speakers on order to expand it out but to be honest, right now if you're building a home theater from scratch, you only need 5.1 . The 7.1 specs aren't really supported yet and DVDs and Playstation/Xbox are all 5.1, so if you're starting from scratch save some money and setup for 5.1 first and expand as support grows.

I used the automated speaker calibration feature to setup all the channels. This is where you place the provided mic at ear level at three different listener positions. The receiver then sends out tones which will drive you and your dog nuts for about 15 minutes while the entire process goes on. Once it was done however, I was/am very pleased with the results.

I've heard some people ask about humming, i can detect no humming. I have some WiFi equipment close by which is 2.5 ghz and so far have not heard any humming. Some other people have said the Receiver runs hot to which I would ask those people, is this your first receiver? They do run hot ! This one runs no hotter than the old one i replaced from a different manufacturer so as far as I'm concerned, the heat issue is normal. I have it in a small component rack that's enclosed on the sides and back with a door on the front, it's got maybe half an inch space around the sides and 2 inches of space on top and so far everything is good.

The back has tons of inputs, but the primary reason I waited for the 606 over the previous model is the number of HDMI ports, the next generation audio/video cable which is a requirement for full resolution BluRay playback. They're rev 1.3a to support all the latest audio formats as well (none of which are currently supported by the discs themselves yet though). The receiver will pass through a 1080p signal from a BluRay or other high def video source. If you feed it a standard def 480i video source, it will upscale it to 1080i or 720p. It does a decent job but i would say upscaling isn't the receivers strong point, it does an acceptable job though. But lets face it, Onkyo doesn't build TV's, their bread and butter isn't video, it's audio.

I'm pleased with the performance and the styling of the receiver, it's just very basic and sleek. No built in graphical user interface and all that other nonsense that receivers 3x this price but no more times the performance come equipped with. This receiver for a mid end system for movies and video games just really can't be matched in terms of performance per dollar spent.

I have matched this receiver with some Polk Audio speakers. Specifically i have a Polk CSi3 center channel and six Polk RTi4 bookshelf speakers (all of which you can find at great prices here on Amazon where I ordered them from) and I am very very happy with the results. The Polk speakers like the Onkyo 606 receiver are over achievers for their price point, so they match together extremely well.

The only thing I have left to say is buy it, I wouldn't hesitate recommending this receiver to anyone looking for a solid movie/video game home theater experience.
77 comments| 225 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2016
Excellent receiver in the lower to mid-priced category. Lots of features and great performance. Very good movie performance and above average music performance.

Purchased new, and lasted me about 3 years before suffering the dreaded HDMI board failure. This is/was a known reliability issue with Onkyo receivers for several years. If you don't make use of the HDMI switching feature of this unit then this is a non-issue. But for the many who do, as their a/v receiver is meant to be the central hub of their home theater setup, it is a major problem. However it did perform very well for 3 years, and the HDMI board was the only issue, so I've only removed one star from the rating.

Since owning this unit I have had a TX-SR706 (2 years, then failing HDMI board as well) and currently own a TX-NR818 for the past 6 months which has been working flawlessly. (perhaps I am a sucker for punishment, but have gotten excellent deals on factory reconditioned units)

I think Onkyo makes some of best value for money a/v receivers on the market, but their reliability is still a cause for concern when comparing to competitors. That said, when they work they are fantastic and I do recommend them for budget conscious buyers.
on June 19, 2015
I bought the SR606 in late 2008. I started having HDMI switching problems around 2012. They became progressively worse. I was just about to throw it away and order a Yamaha. But I decided to try fixing it first.

Today I replaced a bunch of capacitors on the HDMI board and installed a computer fan to keep it cool. So far it seems to have fixed the problem.

There is ton of info out there on fixing this issue. Here are three helpful links.

on March 11, 2013
I bought this Onkyo back in late 2008 for $440. At first, it sounded and worked well. But over time, the HDMI connections began to fail. At first, I noticed it would take a few minutes for the unit to switch between my cable box and my DVD player. As time went on, it would take as long as 15 to 30 minutes to get the DVD player "talking" to the Onkyo. The Onkyo would display NO SIGNAL on the front panel when connected to the DVD player and you could not use the DVD player when this happened. Then, a few weeks later, you could not connect the DVD player at all - the Onkyo would simply refuse to recognize it. Next, the Onkyo stopped working with the cable box as well. The sound began to drop out and eventually I could not use the Onkyo with the cable box either. I stopped using the Onkyo altogether.

At this point, I'm looking to open up the unit and replace cheap faulty capacitors which are causing the problems. If I can bring my Onkyo back to life, that will be great, but my next receiver will be a better brand. I will never buy Onkyo again.
on January 26, 2013
I understand electronics sometimes fail but it seems nearly everyone has had or will have HDMI handshake issues - but Onkyo wouldn't do a recall? Hopefully this hurts them in the long run as consumers like myself will no longer buy the brand.

Anyway, I had sent mine in for warranty (~$50 shipping at my expense) and waited approximately 3 months because the shop said the part was heavily backordered. There was no difference in my HDMI switching. I suspect they didn't do anything - just returned it without repair because I was upset they had my unit for months.

I see some people are soldering new capacitors with success. I took the easy way out and purchased a Kinivo 301BN Premium 3 port High speed HDMI switch for about $30. Not a perfect solution but it was relatively cheap and works. I would recommend doing this over spending $$$$ on a new receiver.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 17, 2014
This Onkyo TX-SR606 is last generation tech, but it's still a very good value and performer if you don't need the latest in networked receivers and are looking to save a few dollars. I bought it almost 6 years ago, along with an Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System and it's still going strong, as any investment in home electronics should. It was my main entertainment hub for several years and served me very well until I upgraded to a networked Denon AVR-1913 7.1 Channel 3D Pass Through and Networking Home Theater AV Receiver with AirPlay, at which point, I passed it along to a new owner. It now has a happy home with my cousin at the center of his living room HTPC (home theater PC) setup.

It has 4 HDMI ins and 1 HDMI out, and a plethora of analog ports. This hasn't really changed much with today's latest models, except for 1 or 2 more HDMI ins, and a USB port. I had my PS3, XBOX 360, DVD player, and WDTV hooked up to it, which filled out all the HDMI ports. The speaker cable terminals are very well though out, with color-coded 8 way binding posts. This is typically found on higher quality receivers. (Cheaper ones just use spring clips). I use Deadbolt Banana Plugs, 12-pair, By Sewell Direct and plugging and unplugging speakers is a breeze! The instructions manual is very detailed and specific, but you don't need it if you've set up audio equipment before (and again, the color coded speaker plugs are a great help!).

It has automated setup. I used the Audyssey mic that came with my Denon to calibrate this. This is important for tuning the speakers to the unique configuration of your room so you get the best surround experience. The remote control is large (a good thing) but the button layout is bad because they are all the same size with no sense of visual hierarchy. I'm not a fan of Onkyo remotes in general.

Being an older piece of equipment, it's pretty bulky, and receivers are already bulky things to begin with.. maybe 10-20% bigger than today's generation. If you're in the market for a good receiver and don't care at all about networking it and being able to stream music to it wirelessly, this TX-SR606 is still a very solid performer. I watched a movie on it in my cousin's living room and this baby can belt out some sounds! The subwoofer shook the room and I almost felt bad for the family members downstairs!
on February 27, 2011
I bought this receiver after much research. I'd say it was a fine product until the past few weeks when the HDMI switching seemed to stop. Sure enough, it pretty much broke after eliminating all other issues. I found threads online that this model had issues. When you call and email Onkyo you will find that the phone messages point you to the web-site. When you email them via the web-site, you receive an email that "we are busy, please call us" with no help offered to your solution. When you try your patience and navigate the phone system, I gave up twice while being on hold for 20 minutes. When I emailed them to ask if someone could call me, I received a fake "personalized" message that "we are busy, please call."

Oh, and it broke 2 weeks after the warranty in my case.

Very disappointed in paying this much money for something only to have it break and the seller offering poor service. Won't even answer a specific email.
on March 1, 2010
I bought this unit about a year and a half ago and used it to hook up my cable box, TV and DVD player. Speakers are Onkyo as well (5.1 setup). Sound quality is excellent and setup was easy.

Now to the bad. Soon after purchase the unit would shut down about 5 minutes into watching TV or a movie. Kind of a pain, but not that big of a deal because it would turn back on without a problem. I know that overheating can be a problem, that's why I kept the unit out in the open, making sure that there is plenty of air circulation around it. Last week it did the same thing, but now I am unable to turn it back on again. Onkyo customer service has not been very helpful so far, recommends to bring it to a service center. I may be a little naive, but for the price we pay for these kind of units, they should last for at least a decade.

I did bring the receiver to a Onkyo Service Center (45 min drive). They repaired it for free, since it was still under warranty. Works flawlessly now. Upgraded to 4 stars.
on April 21, 2012
Well, as many have found ... 2 to 3 years seems to be the life-span of the capacitors on the HDMI board in this otherwise fantastic receiver. I've had mine just over 3 years; it started the HDMI handshake problem about 3 months ago. It's not unbearable, but I suspect it will further deteriorate over time. It's really too bad Onkyo has chosen to not step up and take care of this very widely-known issue. Not holding my breath, I've ordered the high-temp-rated caps and will attempt the fix as published in some AV forums. What have I got to lose at this point? If it works, I have my "fantastic" receiver back. If it doesn't, I switch to the Denon AVR-1912, as it has all the features (and a few more) but with less non-HDMI input options. For the money spent at the time of purchase and the company's reputation, I would expect this to have lasted longer before crapping out, but like I said, otherwise, it's been a fantastic receiver.
VINE VOICEon December 23, 2008
The electronic giants have pretty much confused their intended market. They introduce "must-have" technologies every year, at least. There are buildings full of people making up acronyms that add to the confusion. They have billion-dollar fights over various technologies. As the song says, "What's a poor boy to do?"

Lots of people clearly have not done anything. Their equipment is already digital, so the movies and music are clear and sharp. They are not unhappy with what they have. And, they are confused about what the new stuff, worried that it is just another path to obsolescence. I was pretty much in this camp as well.

Why did I buy a new receiver? My old one broke and I had no choice, so I started looking around. Actually, I had some issues with the old unit. It did not have HDMI connections, so I had a dozen cables running all over. The TV and the DirecTv HD satellite receiver had HDMI connections. I also wanted to get a Blu-Ray player and those are at their best with HDMI. In short, I was getting cable envy.

Then there was the sound. My living room is the worst possible place for good sound. It is all wood and glass with an odd shape and other rooms open to it. I hated the harsh and bouncy sound, the unintelligible voices and ringing high notes. I knew the new AVRs had microphones and automatic speaker set-up features. That sounded good to me. I thought that this was a technology that might make a real difference.

I did not worry much about the power. They are all loud enough in a typical room. I did not worry much about the claims of subtle sound quality issues. Home theater sound is highly processed, loud and dramatic. Musical nuances that are important in a dedicated quality stereo system are just lost in playing The Dark Knight!

In the end, it was all in the room dynamics for me. A million dollar receiver without near-perfect speaker playback would not sound any better than the cheapest one out there in my room. This is going to be true for most people. Few of us have dedicated and properly configured listening rooms.

Onkyo uses the Audyssey system to set up the speakers. Other companies use different, although similar, technologies. I believe that Audyssey is as least as good as anything in this middle range price class. The supplied microphone was connected to the unit, strange noises were emitted and in a short time all the speakers were putting out the appropriate signals. The TX-SR606 has plenty of actual power, so the sound is strong and effortless. I can hear dialogue, the surround sound is fun and everyone is amazed at how much better it all is. Even my Luddite brother, who feels most of this is all a waste of money, thinks the sound is fantastic. This was a huge upgrade for me, much more than what I was expecting.

The improvement is very noticeable on every show, newscasts, everything, not just with jets and explosions.

My system is 5:1. I hope to never hook up seven speakers. Maybe if I had a huge dedicated engineered theater room.

I like the HDMI cabling. Three cables and everything is connected and it all works perfectly. The Onkyo has four HDMI inputs, so you can connect a disc player, a sat/cable box, an Apple TV (or such) and a game console all at once. A good feature. Most other receivers in the same price category only have two inputs.

I was able to buy the cheapest Sony Blu-Ray because the Onkyo does the decoding of the new sound formats. If the receiver does not have that capability, then you must buy the more expensive Blu-Ray players that have the ability to do the decoding themselves. It is confusing.

The Onkyo will upconvert, so a regular DVD looks almost as good a a Blu-Ray disc on the screen. In fact, we think many TV shows look better now. Maybe it upconverts DirecTv as well as discs.

Onkyos have honest power ratings and the power is enough to easily drive my nice but inefficient B&Ws. It is fairly big and heavy, so I like to think it is rugged and has lots of good stuff inside.

Some reviewers hate the Onkyo's style. I think it looks interestingly different, maybe a bit of a vintage look. I think it is fine. A more conventional design would just be ho hum. I do like the option of silver. Nobody else offers anything but black. Personally, I don't like the black scientific instrument look.

The remote is fine. I used it to set up the receiver, but use a Harmony One (see review) for everyday operation. That is the way to go.

The manual could be better. I would like suggested set-ups and settings, rather than pages of optional ways of doing things. How many people are AV hobbyists and how many just want to get it to work correctly?

The SR606 hits the sweet spot in price and in features that are important to most users. It decodes and connects everything. It seems that it will not be obsolete for a long time. I recommend it.

Why only fours star then? I think having to choose between twenty-seven different listening modes is stupid. A modern receiver should simply output the best signal it can, automatically. One can get paranoid that, gee, should I be listening to "DTS 96/24" or "DTS-ES Discrete". Or what? That costs it a star. It would cost any receiver I know of one star.