BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Chris young PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Open: An Autobiography
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 16, 2017
I love this guy and I never saw him play tennis. (I'm taking up tennis at the moment and am reading all things related.) Anyhoo, Andre Agassi may have had a limited education, but man, can he write. He's funny and smart and has such a beautiful, simple style. His engaging personality comes through the writing. He is so honest, it's almost breathtaking. His beginnings sure were challenging. Who knew a tennis great could hate tennis.

What I really loved about him was the way he cherished friends and loved ones and how he'd go out of his way to be kind and loving to them. He was not happy playing tennis, but discovered the secret of life along the way: get out of your head and self-centeredness and love and help others. This is just a great guy in my opinion. It was fun to read about his tennis career (the childhood part wasn't fun...it was fascinating though), but it was his appealing, smart and funny personality that carried the book for me.

Highly recommended whether you're into tennis or not
on September 14, 2017
I have really been enjoying tennis. My kids play, and I play with them. It is a fun family activity. Because of this, I was told that this was an amazing book, which sometimes causes the book to be pretty average. Your expectations are so high, that the book struggles in meeting those levels. But this book was not that case. It was a great read. Andre has a great story about being pushed by his father, going through the ups and downs of a pro career, and really putting his heart out there. The book talks about his journey, and you see his process of maturity in the stories. It is an emotional read. The stories are great, powerful, and well told. If you enjoy Tennis, you will love this book, but even if you dislike tennis, you will probably enjoy the book still. Great book, but what appears to be a great guy.
on September 10, 2017
I could not put this book down. I have been a tennis fan for over 17 years, born and raised in Forest Hills New York which used to be the seat of the U.S. Open championships.
To get to know the insides of Andre Agassi and what it takes to be a champion tennis player was in lightning and riveting to me. The book is so well written and the honesty of Andre him sharing his life with readers is astonishing.
on April 25, 2017
A great read if you are at all into Tennis. AA keeps the pace fast, and makes you feel like you are on the court with him. Really a great inside look at the life of a professional tennis player. AA doesn't hide any of the dirt under the rug...He shakes the rug, so we see all the good and bad.
on December 22, 2009
I have seen many of Agassi's matches, some of them are described in the book some others are just mentioned. He forgot to comment about the beach ball incident while playing against Ivan Lendl (who, btw is briefly mentioned a couple of times in the book) and he also forgot to explain that his first Wimbledon was the first Wimbledon he played ALL WHITE. Agassi is just another human bieng as the book explains all along the 386 pages. When I read that he wrote this book I though: "I MUST HAVE THIS BOOK" two weeks ago when I knew I was spending sometime in San Jose, CA i told myself that that was the week when I were going to BUY the book. I bought it last Friday (Dec 18th) and finished on Sunday 20th... The book just don't let you go, every page you read makes you want go further, know deeper, you want to finish the match memories and pass to the Cheeseburgers talks... THIS IS A GREAT BOOK FROM A GREAT HUMAN BEING... This book is to be liked by many tennis players (amateurs or just-for-fun players)... Allez, Agassi!!!!
on December 9, 2010
This book was hard to put down and I enjoyed in immensely. I played tennis back in the 80's when he was huge and just got back into a couple of years ago. What I got most from this book is staggering amount of hard work and suffering that goes into being a world class athlete. The tennis court can be a lonely place and the book shows a look inside to what it takes to compete at this level. Did he really hate tennis? I think he resented it more than "hate" which was his inability to see himself accomplishing anything else. His rivalry with Sampras is great and he is very open about his superior skills in the Grand Slam events. I enjoyed reading about his relationship with Gil, a man in his life that had his back in very way. After reading this it make me appreciate the new breed of tennis players such as Nadal and Federer and the skill and stamina that they bring to the game. Would be nice to see another American player of Agassi's caliber in the future!!
on May 31, 2017
What an excellent way to start the book "The End". Very much in keeping with the rest of his story. Do what others wouldn't do. Kudos to Andre for putting it all out there, and doing it in such a way that keeps you hooked right from the start.
on May 5, 2015
I like how honest he has been in writing about his life. He hated playing tennis. He wore a wig during the early part of his career;he worried constantly that people would find out about it, and during the final of one grand slam he was more bothered that the wig would fall off than about the match; the wig had fallen off the previous night and he had fixed it on his head with pins.He consumed crystal meth-a recreational drug.He wanted to give up tennis many times and did too because of which he fell to a very low ranking.He mentions how even successful people are bored with their lives.
We all are faced with similar challenges in our lives and aspire to be successful, and when we succumb to the challenges or fall short of our expectations of success we lose all hope. But when you hear it from another human being, who has been successful, that he also has faced challenges and lost hope just like you, you feel that you are not alone and you derive confidence from this.
on March 16, 2013
Agassi was always an enigma during his career. Seemingly brilliant tennis player, under-acheiver, tortured soul and sex symbol rolled into one. As he progressed in his career, he seemed to grow up before our eyes. The book captures all of these dimensions of his life to perfection...and more.

The progression of his life throughout the book was fast-paced, fascinating and, most importantly, honest and real. Though a play on words, the title of the book is perfect. Rare is a self-portrayal as critical and incisive. Andre exposes events devoid of any hint of the self-importance one would normally expect from a celebrity of his stature. In a word, his presentation of his life is humble.

The scenes are described in stunning color, emotion and presented startlingly clear mental images. He also captures many of the scenes with hilarity (the scene when Andre's father meets Stephanie's father is worth the price of the book). Both haircut scenes (his and his son's later in the book) were comical.

Perhaps most interesting to many is his incredible portrayal of the mentally and physically grueling nature of the tour. I got the feel of almost actually being there when he describes the actual games. His explanation of the Sampras rivalry was priceless. His descriptions and views on other players, particularly Connors, like most of the book, gives the sense of being there. He seemed fair in his assessments and, like his tennis game, stayed just inside the line. The relationship with Shields was presented clearly without being critical. One gets no sense that she was at fault for the divorce or a bad person, generally. A difficult line to walk for anyone in such circumstances, but he managed it artfully. The description of his run-in with meth could not have been more forthcoming and, to me, was courageous given the hysteria surrounding the issue in America.

I was sometimes surprised by the almost perfect diction, grammer and prose used in some scenes given the absence of a co-writer. After all, although Andre comes across as intelligent in television interviews, he has only a self-proclaimed 9th grade education. Regardless, he finally fessed up at the end that one of the better writers in this genre assisted. This, of course, is to be expected and does nothing to detract from the genuineness of the book.

My only complaint is that the book was not longer and needed more explanation for why he continually reminded the reader of his paradoxical "hate" for tennis. The words "hate tennis" appear 17 times in the book. Generally, it's just another person who he is letting in on his dirty little secret. I think 2 or 3 times as a shock to the reader would have sufficed. It seems his writing helper could have steered him clear of this overuse. Overall, thIs was a minor nuisance and has the nominal value of reminding the reader of his emotions at the time.

The real question was why he hates tennis. The answer to the question seems apparent in that he was forced to play from an early age and into his his early teens. His father was cast in an unfavorable light as the slave master, but it is apparent that he has now moved beyond that difficulty. Anyone generally hates something that is forced upon them. Regardless, it is unfortunate that he didn't explore the why a little deeper.

Regardless, this is one of those reads that you just want to go on because it's so well done. Some might be put off by the rather lengthy descriptions of the games, but for me, reliving some of those moments in such dramatic detail was awesome, particularly since he describes his emotions in the moment so perfectly.

I believe this is one of the more unique, well-written and inspirational books of its kind. It's an absolute must read for Agassi and sports fans, generally. Beyond that, almost anyone should read this as a testament to the ability to overcome the demons in one's soul and life difficulties generally.

Agassi presents such an honest portrayal that my estimation of him as a person increased immeasurably. Finally, the success of his foundation and work on his charter school as described were inspirational. I was never a huge Agassi fan, but I am now.
on January 20, 2014
A Must Read
Andre Agassi is one of the most important and a famous name in the sports world, as he changed the way tennis is viewed. Being an avid tennis fan, I came into this book with the expectations of a dry, boring book filled historical facts and events, which I thoroughly enjoy. But I misinterpreted the term autobiography. The benefit of an autobiography, as opposed to a biography, is that it gives a more in-depth understanding of each event. For example, take the 1990 French Open, where he lost to Andres Gomes in a four set battle, and that’s it. But “Open” shows the readers a different perspective. Agassi’s hairpiece was falling off, and it distorted his pregame mindset. As Agassi states, “Warming up before the match, I pray. Not for a win, but for a hairpiece to stay on.” (Agassi 152). In addition to giving a different perspective of Agassi’s matches, the book also gives the reader a different perspective of Andre Agassi himself. It was thought that Andre Agassi was a loud mouth, attention-seeking individual with no morals, when that was actually the complete opposite of his true character. Andre was actually extraordinarily shy, and he hated the spotlight. All his antics throughout the years were an attempt to find himself, even though he never truly did.
After completing the book, I give it 5 stars out of 5. This may be my new favorite book, but hold up! That doesn’t mean to run out and get the book. Tennis is my favorite sport, and Agassi is one of my all-time favorite players. If you’re anything like myself, I HIGHLY recommend this book. But if tennis isn’t for you, then neither is this book.