Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 887 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,054 reviews
on June 12, 2015
This is a great little board book. My nephew loves the smaller books that fit in his tiny hands and the peek-a-boo feature makes it even more exciting for him.
on February 22, 2016
It was smaller than my 2 year old's usual books but it was the perfect size to put in a bag when we go out. It keeps her busy when sitting down and traveling. This is perfect for little kids who likes animals and saying their different sounds. The quality is very good and does not easily get torn. It also has a good list of animals you would usually find in a barn(Cow, Pig, Chick, Pony, Duck, Goat, Dog, Cat, Rooster, Owl). It has great colorful illustrations.

This is definitely a good value for the price. Totally worth it.
VINE VOICEon May 14, 2016
This book is little but it is adorable! My toddler likes to rip on the flaps of the flip books but this one is durable enough he has not ripped one off ... Yet ..... He LOVES animals and LOVES this book! It has been a big hit!
review image review image review image
on October 14, 2015
My daughter loves this little book! It's one of her favorites (she's 17 months old). I can't remember when exactly she started opening the flaps on her own... Maybe around 12 months? She's dextrous though, so flaps are not a problem for her. At first she enjoyed me lifting them for her, and then she enjoyed lifting them herself, and acting surprised when she found the animal underneath. The illustrations are bright and cute, and the placement of the flaps within the illustration is very smart. The flaps close very tightly though, and need some fingernail work to get them open even for me, so that might be an issue with less dextrous children. I keep my daughter's nails juuuust a bit longer than ideal, specifically to help her work her flap books, and that helps a lot. She learned to use her nails, and can get them open on her own. She also seems to really like the size of the book. This is our only book of this size, and she loves handling it, flipping through it, hugging it and just carrying it around the house.

One thing I specifically love about the illustrations is how rich they are, and how much stuff is packed in them, without making them look too busy. In a lot of baby books, the background is pretty plain, with emphasis on one or two things per page. In this book, without feeling overwhelming, you can find a lot of little things on each page. For example, there's a chicken or two somewhere on most of the pages, so we play "find the chicken". Or the kittens are in a basket in the closet, so you can also see shoes, slippers, a coat, etc. My daughter loves identifying the random surrounding objects on each page, like the shoes. Or that the horse has a bucket of grain (which she has learned to identify as "pony food"). Her latest obsession is apples, and right now she is absolutely in love with the page that has apples on trees! When she learns a new word or a new concept, which happens to show up somewhere in this book, she'll seek it out and flip to it over and over.

I really didn't expect much from this little book, but it has been a total gem!
on December 18, 2015
I bought this book for a Christmas gift for my grandson and was about to wrap it and noticed that the cover was not attached properly to the spine. Obviously a mistake when it was put together by the manufacturer. Random House
Disappointing
on March 1, 2017
This is one of our daughters favorite books. Each page has a small flap that reveals an animal underneath. Each page says what the animal sound is "who say's moo?", then under the flap the animal is revealed. She received it as a gift at 6 months old and was able to play with it then, learning a bit of finger dexterity with trying to grab the flaps and turn the pages. But still loves it now at 18 months, though some of the flaps are a bit wrinkled and chewed on from playing with so young. She is a big fan of animal sounds so this was a big hit for that reason as well.
on October 19, 2016
I purchased Open the Barn Door for my daughter’s first birthday. She is now approaching her second birthday and this book is still very much a favourite.

The book is smaller than I was expecting (dimensions, as per Amazon are 9.9cm x 9.9cm), but this actually turned out to be a plus point as it’s great for throwing in the changing bag when we go out, or acting as a distraction in the car.

The book is a lift-the-flap book and has lots of pages. Each page poses a question – for example ‘who says moo?’ and opening the flap will reveal the animal in question. This was a great tool for my daughter to learn the names of farm animals and the noises that they made.

As this is a board book it is durable and despite having owned it for around a year and it having lots of use, our copy is still in remarkably good condition, with all the flaps still intact.

I would strongly recommend this book, I don’t really have anything negative to say about it. I think it is perfect for little one’s aged one and over.
on November 24, 2015
This is an adorable lift-the-flap board book but the reason I am giving it 4 stars is the size of the book. It is TINY. Nothing wrong with a smaller book but for the price you can buy a regular sized board book. Just my opinion though ;)
on August 12, 2015
I knew this book would be small based on other reviews I read before buying. However, I figured it'd be a good size for my 18 month old son, as a starter book since he recently started showing an interest in books. I thought the flaps that open up would be something that would keep his attention and keep him busy, that he'd like that..however, it has been alright. It keeps his attention for a bit when I read it to him and open the flaps to reveal the animals, though I have to move quickly. I was hoping this book would've been something he would enjoy flipping thru on his own as well, but it hasn't made the cut for him. Also, I bought another different book at the same time I purchased this one and in terms of sturdiness, the other one has held up well. This book however, has not made the cut. I actually had to take it out of his room, and its something I read to him and put back away because he was able to tear it apart easily. The cardboard-like material/paper on the 'binding' part on the outside of the book, he was able to tear it away like it was paper and not cardboard material, it came right off, almost completely, thankfully it didn't because the book would've fallen apart. This little book was a good buy, it's a good price. But, I don't recommend it because it falls apart too easily and isn't sturdy at all. If you plan on reading it to your child and not letting them play with it on their own, at all then i would definitely go for it, but otherwise it's just a waste of money, because it won't last long at all in the hands of your toddler.
on July 9, 2015
Children open the lift-the-flap barn doors to reveal "Who says moo?"/ "Who says baa? et cetera". A very cute, pocket-sized book with bright colorful, and not overly cartoony illustrations.

Our Thoughts
There are a lot of pages in this tiny book which is good. Its pretty sturdy, the flaps are a bit hard to do since they're so tiny but that deters tearing! I love the illustrations and thoughtful and unique flap for each animal (e.g. kittens are inside a basket, a goat stands behind a laundry line, a duck waits behind bulrushes). Its the perfect size both for little hands to read on their own, and to fit in my purse. I can whip it out while were standing on line in the supermarket or waiting to be served in a restaurant and read it to my son. He received it as a Christmas gift at 13 months old. At 18 months old, he enjoys this book a lot and can now open the flaps himself. He likes hearing me the animal noises and loves being surprised by what's waiting behind the door. As he has grown older I can now quiz him before we reveal the animal and he signs his answer. Recently I caught him reading it all by himself, so now, I give it to him to read on his own in the shopping cart thereby buying myself at least a few brief moments of cooperation! Great little book highly recommended! We actually lost this book during a an outing and I will definitely be replacing it as my son LOVES it!
It's useful for teaching animal names, animals sounds and life on the farm.