Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Open Studios with Lotta Jansdotter: Twenty-Four Artists' Spaces
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on April 23, 2011
A mini global tour of Lotta Jansdotter's favorite designers in 3 different cities and countries. This isn't the first book of it's kind but it looks very different from what you may have already seen. This is not the slick color filled, perfectly placed beauty shot studio tour. Most of the studios have white walls and are simply filled with samples and the materials that the artist use in their work. What makes this book work are the interviews and the intimate pictures of the nooks and crannies of the artist loft. Quite a few organizational ideas can be gleaned from the pictures. If you enjoy Lotta's work this will be a nice addition to your library.
on March 29, 2012
I read this book with a little envy - I wish I were there in person visiting the 24 studios with Lotta Jansdotter so I could open some drawers and get closer-up looks myself. I enjoyed the peek into the creative spaces of the artists, designers and photographers located in Brooklyn, Stockholm and Tokyo, especially those of Ian Hundley and Mociun, whose works I've lusted after for a while. It was fun to get a glimpse of the lives and workspaces of the 24 profilees but I would have like to see more detailed photographs, like of the tools and materials they use and their storage solutions. The interviews I found somewhat breezy and basic. You get an idea of what inspires these people, their works, how they organize their workspace and some of their favorite things (example: music choices while in the studio) but you don't take away much from the few questions and short answers published.

There are so many design and art websites nowadays where you get taken on regular studio tours of all kinds of creative people in different fields of work, and they include great photos and detailed interviews and write-ups too. I think you'd need a distinctive concept or design for a book on studio visits to truly stand out. I'm sad to say while I enjoyed reading this book, it didn't make the grade for me.
on June 21, 2016
I am very divided about this book. On one had I feel it does give you a peek into a certain type of artist/crafter studio ( industrial, simple, spare ) which was interesting and even inspiring. On the other hand the book is very one note. All the studios were basically the same, so by the end of the book all the work spaces just blended into each other. And the questions that Lotta asked each artist where just so skimpy and the answers so uninspired that I didn't learn anything from these interesting artists. I do have to say that the photos in this book acted as a palette cleanser to the overwhelmingly sweet feminine studios that seem to be the standard in other craft books and magazines. My taste fall somewhere in between these two styles so I hope to find books that will incorporate a mix of styles and artists of different nationalities and ethnicities to show a bounty of styles and studio setups.
on May 2, 2011
As a big fan of Lotta Jansdotter, I was so excited to recieve this book. I was not disappointed. If you've enjoyed her last book, Handmade Living, you will love this one. I found it inspiring on many levels: to see other atrist's work, to gain knowledge of what other creative people do with their work space, and to get ideas on how to organize and decorate my future studio.
on August 9, 2013
I opened the book immediately and started reading. I am always interested in how other artists work. I love the question the book poses to each artist -- When did you decide to become a professional artist? I also love their answers. If you are a serious artist or thinking about selling your work buy and read what other artisits who are actually supporting themselves with their art have to say. It isn't a hobby -- it is a lifestyle.
on December 10, 2011
I was quite disappointed by this. There are some benefits to looking into other's work spaces and seeing how they organise things but the really disappointing part was the biographical information, which was just a couple of inane questions with the author exclaiming how lovely their work was. The author is also featured in a number of the photographs which just made me think it was a cynical exercise in self-promotion rather than a serious attempt to promote the artist featured. I also felt it was a bit of a lazy project and that most of these artists were friends and aquaintances, so she's had a bit of a jolly, drinking tea, chatting to her friends and probably a nice free trip to Japan out of it.

Having said that there are lots of photographs of the studios which will be helpful to some if you are looking for a purely visual reference.
on September 24, 2011
I am enjoying this book very much but must look at it in small bits of time because it absolutely reeks of chemical fumes. Even though it spent the night in a different room I could still smell it in the morning. I'm not sure I'll be able to keep it, I'm waiting for it to air out. If you have any kind of breathing issue though, I would reluctantly suggest you give it a pass.

It's true this isn't a professional coffee table book. It is a look at people living with a certain aesthetic and values in diverse locations and I think is very uniting in that way. Everyone seems approachable. There is respect and individuality. Attention is given. There is color.

I found myself googling these people because I wanted to know more and see more. You know how one thing leads to another. Soon I was checking out waxed canvas, quilts that look like maps from the air and Balinese music...this book opens new worlds. Even if you have to suffer for it!
VINE VOICEon March 21, 2011
Lotta's newest book Open Studios is just that. The Swedish born designer Lotta, visits her favorite studios in Brooklyn, Stockholm, and Tokyo. Lotta lived in California when she first arrived from Sweden. Here she visited the Open Studios of the local artists. The Open Studio days were not held in Sweden. She loved visiting and seeing how these creative people organized and arranged (or not) their work spaces. She is always trying to improve her work space. Now with her little son August filling her days, along with her studio, home, travel, writing, teaching classes, creating textile designs, making guest appearances, blogging, managing her new web site, being a spokesperson for various products--well, you get the picture. For this book, Lotta selected a variety of artists from each city to visit, photograph, and interview. The results are inspiring. There are 24 artists that range from ceramic artists, painters, textile designers, letterpress printers, illustrators, jewelry makers, a photographer and a quilter. Some work in very small spaces, and organization is the key to success. It is exciting to take a peek into the lives of the artists, to see what helps get their creative juices flowing. Each artist tells about the city where they work and why they love it. Some work alone like the painter in Japan who has a garage for a studio and uses a motorcycle for transportation. Others share spaces. Some are family and work together. Many used bicycles because they were in the city. Others work from their homes. It's fun to peek into the variety of creative spaces, see the processes and the tools. The reader can gain some helpful tips on how to organize (or not) simple spaces--to a professional shop.
on September 6, 2012
Love this book! Lotta interviews 24 artists around the world, in their studios, and gives us a peek into their worlds. Seeing how others do their work is fascinating for me and the pictures all give us a really good feel for their environments.

I've been a Lotta Jansdotter fan for a few years now, and this book, while not focused on her and her work, shows us how much she enjoys the world of art, craft, and design. She brings others to us in a way that causes us to appreciate 24 very talented people across the globe.

Jeff
on May 26, 2014
Not a bad book, smaller then what I was expecting. I give it 3 stars because it did provide helpful insight for my studio space.