Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 18, 2007
My first year of motherhood was such a struggle it was hard to laugh. Now, I am enjoying it a second time around with our second son, and just finished this book. I am amazed Anne Lamott was able to find the humor and the beauty as a single, first time mom. I enjoyed every page of this book. I think every mom will find something here, even if you are a Republican, are not a religious person, or have a daughter!
on May 8, 2009
Anne Lamott's writing is so personal, it makes me feel like we're friends, chatting. She's brave enough to share her true feelings about being a first time mother, and that made me so much more comfortable with my own feelings.

All I know is that she's going to cost me a lot more money, because I will have to buy the rest of her books now! I'll probably also give this one as a gift to my friends.
on July 2, 1999
I read this book a year before I had my first child, and then again the week after she was born. Between my own "baby blues" and the baby's constant crying, I needed a friend, and nobody in the world made me feel better than Anne Lamott. If you have a baby, are having one, or have ever been one <G> this book will make you smile, cry, and just feel pretty good about life.
on December 6, 2006
This book is very funny and highly readable. I first read it before I had babies, and bought nearly a dozen copies to hand out as baby shower gifts. Every new mother will relate and enjoy Anne Lamott's wit, as well as her honesty. Of all her books, this is my favorite.

From the author of "A Line Between Friends," McKenna Publishing Group
on March 28, 2007
This is my favorite gift to new moms. Annie Lamott chronicles the love and challenges in the first year of parenthood. She openly talks about the dark side of how hard the first year can be as a parent, and she does it with wicked humor and tenderness. For me, it was a better companion than any "self help" book for my first year as a mom.
on July 20, 2009
This book is about the highs and lows experienced by a new single mother- from a first person narrative point of view. I would recommend it to anyone who is about to be a Mom, and everyone who is just interested in knowing more about pregnancy ! Taught me a lot of new info in a funny and entertaining way.
on March 19, 1999
Anne Lamott's clear, strong, beautiful words call up a sense of how we operate in this world. Because of her openess, we follow her refinement of the spirit, how her beautiful spiritual consciousness is quietly operating. I did not want this book to end. A must read for anyone raising children.
on November 15, 1997
I read this while I was pregnant with my first child, during his first year, after my first daughter was born and after my second daughter was born - I have given it to every pregnant person I know - therefore...... I have spent over $100 on this book and over 20 hours of my life - READ IT!
on October 30, 2007
I give this book to anyone I know who is expecting their 1st child. It is a candid memoir of the author's pregnancy and her first year of life with her son. Touching, candid, and very hilarious it is indeed a book of operating instructions and good insight to first time parents.
on January 7, 2000
This book mirrored every moment and every feeling I have had since I have given birth to my daughter 8 months ago. This book is raw life. I hate to have to say it, but I laughed, I cryed and I recommended it to everyone I know. It was truly a book you can't put down.