Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video Snuggle Up with Your Favorite Holiday Movies on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 27, 2016
I enjoyed this book. I'm sorry it took me so long to read it. If u are interested in the U2, I recommend this book
on June 13, 2017
best
on February 23, 2012
Great book! I bought this for a school project, but got really interested with the story and memoir, and ended up reading it on my own. I had a question, perhaps for the seller? The copy I received was used, and on the title page there is a signature, "Francis Gary Powers J." I was wondering if this is an actual signature of FGP Jr., or if it is just a sort of identifier. I think it would be cool if it was an actual signature! If anyone has any idea whether his could be an authentic signature or whether FGP Jr. ever signed these books, I would be very interested to know! Great book, once again!
on August 17, 2016
When Powers wrote this he was still in apology mode. I certainly don't think he had anything to be sorry about. He got shot out of the sky by a Russian missile and did hard time in a Soviet max joint. Would anyone of us handled it better than he did. Here is the big issue he doesn't really confront. Lee Harvey Oswald knew the exact altitude of the U2 flights and the CIA knew Oswald had defected to Russia in 1959. Yet in 1960 the agency decided to send Powers on a full border to border overflight. The first one ever! Either they knew Oswald was on our side the whole time or ...... they wanted to make sure Powers got shot down. Which was it.
on August 24, 2014
Excellent history of the Cold War, geo-politics of imaging technology and satellites....once the Russians did it, this allowed the US launch satellites. President Eisenhower told the CIA not to fly the last flight over Russia - weather delay on what was the effective time for the memo to go into effect - DC time, Turkey Time, or Pakistani Time.
on March 19, 2014
I bought this book before attending a display of the "U2 Incident" in the Palm Springs Aerial Museum and attending a talk by Francis Gary Powers son. There has been lots of writings, analysis, and post period discussions of the event and its aftermath. This is a good read from the person involved and it reflects his memories and feeling of the incident.
on February 21, 2017
This is one of the best military autobiographies I have ever read. I have read hundreds and hands done none are better.
on March 6, 2012
Much better than I expected....Powers unexpectedly went on a journey like no other...his account is surprisingly frank and candid...the good, the bad and the ugly. If you like John LeCarre novels...you will like this true story of this misunderstood American patriot who was never supposed to have been captured..and when he was....it became time, unfortunately and unfairly, for everyone to start pointing fingers...mostly at Powers.
on October 28, 2016
A brilliant book that puts you in the cockpit of history. And a profile of a great man. Really well written. An eye-opener.
on November 9, 2015
'Hear' directly from his voice what happes and what he had to go trough after his downing. Most of people know that he was downed but the book told you what he had to live in prison