Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 160 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 382 reviews
on May 31, 2017
I bought this to complete my Tool collection. And, I have to be honest, if I wasn't a rabid fan already this EP wouldn't impress me much. In retrospect, having heard the masterpieces Tool would later produce, I can hear hints and glimmers of their future genius here. But, if this had been my introduction to them I might have passed on "Undertow" or "Aenima" (both of which I loved from the get-go).

I'm not saying that this is a bad album. It's actually pretty good - but not nearly as great as their later stuff. So, if you aren't familiar with Tool I would suggest you start with "Undertow" or "Aenima" or "Lateralus." IMHO, those are more likely to more smoothly introduce you to the unique and intricate music of this incredibly talented band. You'll probably buy this album later on, to complete your collection.

If you are already a Tool fan, you should get this EP just to hear the greatness that is beginning to come together, and will eventually blow everyone away with "Undertow" (and all that follows).
on June 8, 2017
Tool is my favorite band of all time and Opiate was an auspicious beginning. Intelligent and articulate at the same time as being raucous and aggressive, the band went on to produce (in my view) the best music I have heard over the past twenty years. Whether you call them prog rock, heavy metal or even apocalyptic, this CD is a must have for not only Tool fans, but for those who appreciate interesting and thoughtful music - as opposed to the majority of crap that floods the airwaves. (P.S. Adam Jones - the band's lead guitarist Adam Jones designed the album art.)
on November 8, 2014
I just got this Vinyl EP of Opiate. I love TOOL and love this album but not in vinyl format. The vinyl plays fine but it is cheaply made, very thin and light. Side B has the songs out of order and the song cold and ugly is missing. If you want this album then get it as an MP3 or on a CD. Even for a hardcore tool fan, the vinyl is a waste of money.

^--- that was my first one star review. As you can see I have changed my mind and I'm updating this review. The record is still thin and cheaply made but as I have already pointed out it plays just fine. I had thought that the song cold and ugly was missing. I was mistaken. I put on the album again today and realized that depending on where you set the needle down at the beginning of the B side, you will hear either cold and ugly and the rest of the second half of the album as it was meant to be heard. Or, if you hit the right groove you were here the hidden track at the end of the CD instead. I did not even know this was possible to pull off, on vinyl. I am upping my rating to four stars seeing as how it plays just fine and was not advertised as 180g. At this point I would have to say the biggest downside to it, is that you never know what song you're going to get when you start the B side.
on March 13, 2017
This is very raw Tool. It sounds more like a demo than a full produced album. That isn't a bad thing, as long as you know what you are getting. This is difinitely hard rock.
on July 10, 2010
On side B of this Vinyl record it randomly plays either Cold and Ugly or The Gaping Lotus Experience depending on which groove the needle falls on when you start it. I thought there was something wrong with my record until I consulted the good people over at Tool Army (before the board was wiped out) and learned the error of my ways. I love this album, and Opiate is one of most intelligent songs I've ever heard. It's a total FU to organized religion and people who blindly follow what they're told to follow even if it's retarded and corrupt.
on November 2, 2016
This EP can be difficult to locate in some big chain stores, so I was very happy to see it here. The album is Tool, so no other description needed, it's great.
on June 30, 2017
Choices always where a problem for me so I bought all the tool cars 🤘
on April 19, 2017
Great purchase, a great item for my collection!!! Recommended seller!!!
on June 25, 2017
Its Tool, Its Opiate...what more do I need to say!?
on June 9, 2017
Replacing old cds. No issues with product