Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 54 reviews
on December 30, 2013
I did not have unrealistic expectations when I bought this. I read the reviews and knew it would be hard to use. I bought it because I am probably never going to be able to justify spending what a similar size telephoto with lower f-stop and sharpness I would like, so this gives me something to play with. So knowing all this the one thing I wish was different with it would be either a fine focusing ring or if they had made the focus a little less sensitive. I have taken some pictures of Jupiter and four of its moons, so far I have not gotten the tight focus I would like. I do think I will get them sooner or later, but it is winter here freezing my arse off and focusing with winter gloves has been a hindrance. BTW make sure you have a solid tripod.
on February 28, 2011
I bought this lens for one purpose - to be able to take better long-range shots and video of the local peregrine falcons on their nest ledge. Most of the shooting I will be doing with it will be from between 400-600 feet away from the birds, so I'm not expecting razor sharp detail; just recognizable falcon images that are larger than a pinpoint. The weight of the lens is a non-issue for me, since I can drive right up and set my gear up right beside the car; I wouldn't want to carry it along on a hike of any distance. It took some practice to arrange a setup that will hold the camera and lens motionless, and I did need to get a heavy duty tripod, but I have already been able to get some decent video and still shots. With practice I expect to do even better. The manual focus is pretty simple, although at full extension it is a real stretch of the arms for a small person. I have noticed that the image tends to be sharper and brighter at the shorter length; users need to be aware of this. I don't guess I'll be taking professional grade photos with it, but I am more than satisified; it was affordable on a fixed income, and for my intended use, it gets the job done.
on June 14, 2011
Totally manual lens that can be disassembled into several parts which I had to do to clean all the internal lenses. The build quality is acceptable, made mostly of metal. I used it on my Canon EOS 60D and it works fine as long as you have a tripod. It takes several seconds to adjust the focus manually but few minutes to adjust the zoom and you have to be careful not to extend it beyond 1300mm or else it will separate into 2 pieces and you will have to spend more time to assemble them and re-adjust the focus and zoom. You need light so don't expect to take pictures indoors or even from outdoors to indoors. The quality of the pictures is pretty good as long as you remain under the 1150mm. I couldn't get a clear focus over 1150mm. I think the doubler is a joke. I couldn't get any focus with it. The lens is still worth the price if you want to take closeups even if the doubler doesn't work. A note to Canadians, be prepared to pay a hefty price for s&h, customs, taxes etc. I paid 130$ on top of the price of the lens => Not cool :(
11 comment| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2013
image quality of this lens is nothing to brag about. The zoom is extraordinary. dont expect to take super crisp professional quality with this lens. This lens is built so you can get pictures when you never could have without it. I could fill the entire frame and more of the moon with this lens w/o the 2x converter. much better image than what you'll get with a 300mm or 400mm because with those, you'd have to crop like crazy. This lens is even better when use for video. it needs a strong steady tripod.
on February 3, 2013
Based on the money... huge return. Compare to others with equal range. I am using for a spotting scope and birding. Not sure I would purchase as newbie.

Understand Aperture and manual focus. Need lots of light and tripod. Photos ok. Look at the cost and don't expect Nat'l Geographic.
review image
on May 16, 2015
Unfair reviews! I was very hesitant to buy this lens after some of the reviews. Please disregard the negative reviews! This lens is awesome clear and a great bargin. I am an amature photographer at best. I take pictures of what interest me at that moment. Mostly wildlife, flowers, birds and the water views of the Chesapeake Bay. I have included some of the shots I have taken with this amazing lens. I hope you are as surprised as I am at the quality of the photos this lens can produce! All you have to do is practice! These shots were all handheld. The closest photo is the ducks at about 400 feet. Every thing else was 500feet or more from me! Hope this helps you to make the choice to get this amazing lens. I almost forgot to tell you I used a Canon Rebel EOS 3ti camera and I used only the lens and t-mount adapter. I did not use the 2x converter yet.
on January 22, 2013
I love this lens. I don't use it often mainly to shoot animals from a far distance without scaring them off and I get clear photos. It is heavy so I do have to use a tripod for the lens and a mono pod for the camera but other then that I love it.
on January 24, 2014
Nice Lens, Need a lot of light in order to get a clear picture or set the shutter speed slower but definitely use a tripod and remote.
on August 30, 2015
I really don't know what to say, it came in and the part that you screw on to the mono-pod was broken, never did get any answer back from vendor, but it gets you out there to the subject your trying to get a pic of....
on March 20, 2012
I could not believe the quality of the pictures this took from about 1/4 away. I would highly recomend it if you need to take pictures from a far distance. I specificly bought this to take pictures of eagles in a protected area. I took my spoting lens and quite frankly it doesn't even get nearly as close as this lens. My first pictures were of the YMCA building about 1/4 mile away from my house. I was on my deck and I could actually see the front Door!! I snapped the shot and to my amazment the picture was clear!! This is a must at a FANTASTIC price!!!