Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18SW_gno

This is a great item that takes up hardly any room. In fact, it's so convenient, that 90% of the time when I am on the go, this thing never gets removed from my speedlights. Sure, it has its limitations, but it sure is handy for those situations when larger diffusing tools just don't make sense. It is very well made with quality material, and it fits my 580's perfectly!
on April 23, 2011
While this little diffuser must have cost less than a dollar each to manufacture, it is useful.

It fits SNUGLY on my Canon 580EX II Speedlite, and it does soften the light from my speedlite somewhat. But I still bounce flash off white ceilings and walls. And I never pass up good available light, when present. It's just that there are many photo opportunities that benefit from using it. When larger and better diffusers (like umbrellas, card reflectors, etc.) are not available, the Opteka Diffuser is beneficial. I use it for both indoor and outdoor shots.

It's worth every penny.
on September 8, 2011
I have a soft box for my 580exII which is good for all the things the opteka is bad at, so I use both! The opteka is great on camera, off camera its ok, depending on what you shoot, it may not be the best diffusor in that situation. I did some car interior shots using two 580exIIs one with the opteka and one without, and the Opteka throws light 360 in the cap, which is good if shooting on camera but bad when shooting off. Other than that it works well and I can't complain for the price!
review imagereview image
on November 5, 2012
I received the diffuser several days ago and have been trying it with my Yongnuo YN560-II speedlite. The unit worls well on the camera especially the fit on the flash which I was a little nervous about after reading some of the prior reviews. My unit fits the flash well and I am not concerned about it falling off the flash. I diffuses the light well and I feel will be of great utility to me during the life of the flash. I am glad that I bought the diffuser. It does what it says it will do.
on January 26, 2012
The Amazon listing specifically says "For 580 EX II" but the packaging itself says "580 EX" when it showed up and it's a *VERY* tight fit. I specifically ordered this because the Sto-Fen was for the 580 MK1 and was a tight fit. I'm disappointed that this was not what it claimed to be.

Short of it being super tight, it does work like it's supposed to but I'm worried about the long-term durability due to the tight fit.
on August 29, 2012
Bought the Opteka Flash Diffuser from 47th Street Photo. Product was packaged nicely and fit well on my Yongnuo 565ex flash easily, not too tight that it was difficult to remove, or too loose to fall off while taking pictures. Made of pretty durable plastic, it is hard but is bendable type of plastic. I don't see it breaking unless I step on it.

Pretty sure that it will also fit on the canon 580ex II easily, since yongnuo 565ex is a exact copy of it.
on November 7, 2012
This was purchased as a replacement to my lost diffuser at $18. At this price, it is a good product as it does exactly the same thing. However, the diffuser falls off my 580EXII much more easily compared to my old one. It falls off my flash even when it's just sitting in my camera bag with the flash compartment if I put it diffuser end in first. It always comes off the flash, which is a little annoying.
on March 1, 2013
I have a few diffusers and wanted to see how these work. They fit well and look clean and well made. There were reports of it being too tight or loose, both of mine fit well. The difference in flash heads is what causes the slop. The plastic is a bit harder than the other brands I have, if it was a bit softer, it would help a better universal fit for all the intended flashes.....
on April 27, 2012
I'm sort of new to using a speedlite, but I thought i would try this out since it was so much cheaper than the name brand stuff. So far i have really enjoyed using it. I tested it by firing my flash straight on at a white wall in a completely dark room (to check for "hot spots"). It does a pretty good job of spreading the light around. obviously, when you are using a diffuser, you sacrifice distance, but when using indoors, this is not much of a problem.
on June 11, 2012
I recently purchased this diffuser for my 580EX II, since I didn't want to spend $20+ for a similar name brand diffuser. However, I think quality control must be off for this brand - others have mentioned that theirs are too loose, where mine was almost too tight - I had a ton of trouble getting it on the flash the first time. It seems to have "stretched" a little, since subsequent tries have gone a little better, but it's still tighter than I would have liked. Bottom line, you get what you pay for.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.