Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Opteka GS-2 Genuine Leather Ergonomic Stabilizing Hand Grip Strap for Digital SLR Cameras
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on December 9, 2011
Definitely worth the $9. The Opteka GS-2 is comprised of sturdy materials and solid construction, so I can't fault it there, and if you are shooting in full-auto, it's probably great, but for those of us who value the use of our right thumb for making adjustments on the back of the camera, it can be too constraining.

To have enough freedom to use the back-panel buttons, you need to set the strap pretty loose, which makes it hang awkwardly, but still secure enough that you can let go entirely and not worry about the camera falling off, but just barely.

I'm not a master of straps, so I was a little put off that there were no instructions or at least a diagram of how to weave the strap through the camera mounting point and back onto the plastic cinching gizmo. Ideally, there would be an explanation of how to find the proper fit and tightness as well.

The base screws securely into the tripod mount on the camera and has its own mount beneath, so you can leave the hand grip attached when you attach to a tripod, and in my case, I leave the quick-release plate for my tripod attached to the base of the hand grip by default.

I haven't been willing to commit to a Black Rapid type strap and found that when shooting, I tend to wind my camera strap into a makeshift hand grip anyway, so this is a step forward for sure.
on March 6, 2012
I purchased the Opteka GS-2 Ergonomic strap that was sold by 47th Street Photo. First off, let me say I recieved it two days after I had placed the order and I did not use the One-Day shipping. Great service!!

When opening the package, there were no instructions. I thought I could figure it out by looking at it...nope...so I found a video on YouTube. After a few adjustments I found a perfect fit for my hand.

This strap fits like a glove, very comfortable, I have no problems reaching all the controls on my Nikon which is safely secured to my hand.
on September 22, 2012
I decided to get this for my d5100 after I played around with my friends camera, which had a hand-grip strap installed. Before that point, i was using long neck/shoulder straps (and an adapter that let you hook one strap to the tripod mount area) allowing me to sling the camera at my side or behind my back (good for moving around in crowds).

I enjoyed the strap setup, but there were times where it would get in the way or just be a hassle to deal with that long strap all the time. Switching to a hand-grip strap allowed me to keep my camera in my hand and at-the-ready, while not having to deal with continually keeping a grip on it.

This is my first hand-grip strap. I chose this one because it attaches around your wrist as well. Once you get it adjusted to your personal tastes, it is very secure and reasonably comfortable. The strap that goes around your wrist allows me to relax my hand completely and just let the camera hang there with no concern of it falling to the ground. During long bouts of active shooting, being able to do that is a nice convenience. It mounts securely to the tripod mount and in my experience, has never slipped or needed tightening.

The only *slight* issue is that with my smallish hands, it can take some contorting to hit certain button combinations on the camera. As i said, this is a very slight issue, easily alleviated by changing my grip slightly when I encounter a situation i know will require some fiddling with the settings.

Otherwise this is a well-built, quality addition to my shooting experience, and well worth the $9. After a brief period of adjustment, it is now my preferred manner of carrying my camera in most all scenarios.
on April 2, 2013
I do a lot of street photography and this seemed a great way to walk around with my Nikon D90 and a zoom lens. Unfortunately, it just did not work for me. It is built well and does not appear cheap; however, the design is off. I felt either my hand squeezed by the grip or my camera slipping away. Also, the ergonomics are not correct when coupled with the D90 and my access to controls was awkward at best (I have a medium size hand). I returned it after a day and thank Amazon for the great customer service.
on October 21, 2012
It took a bit of adjusting but I finally got the proper fit. It works nicely and I can get my hand to all the camera buttons. The problem is that the clamp that holds the grip on my hand is very hard to undo. That means it is hard to get my hand free because the grip is still hooked. The same problem is when you, with one hand, must hook the grip clamp -- not easy with one hand and the configuration of the clamp. My summary: it works beautifully when it is on but hard to get on and off.
on January 8, 2014
Unfortunately, it seems that the part that attaches to the base of the camera, the part that screws into the tripod socket, features a soft padding layer that is held in place with a still soft wet glue. As I attached the piece to the camera, glue oozed out and was squashed all across the bottom of my camera.

It had been some time after receiving that I first tried the product, so it was too late to return. Interestingly though, it's been a couple of months and the glue is still wet. I don't know what glue it was that they used but my babies boogers would have been a much better adhesive.
on February 6, 2012
Bought this for my Canon T3i and am quite pleased.

It's cost effective and works well. I don't own a 7D so I'm not sure what the other reviewer was commenting on. Mine stays nice and tight and I can still reach everything, even the menu button on the far left.

I was previously wrapping the stock canon neck strap around my wrist a few times but this is an improvement. I rigged the stock neck strap to the hand grip and have them both connected. Sometimes I still wrap the neck strap on my arm, a bit overkill I suppose.

I have a whole slew of Opteka extras for my T3i and like their other products, this one doesn't disappoint in price or value.
on September 20, 2013
After reading the reviews I would have expected a well built, high quality strap.

I was very surprised to find that it is extremely cheaply made.

Its a great looking strap, but, sweat on it once and see what happens.

my experiences with Opteka usually impress me, they makes pretty good stuff at excellent prices..... I would still look for the brand when considering the purchase of new equipment....

I am not happy with the strap tho....and it is way too beat up to return....
on November 8, 2013
This page shows a triangular knuckle pad with a wrist strap. What I received is a simple oval knuckle pad with no wrist strap. I checked the item number on the packaging and it matches the item number on the page. The picture is obviously incorrect. On top of that I experienced difficulties when I attempted to return it via Amazon. I'm just going to keep it and give it to a friend.

I wouldn't mind so much if this wasn't the second time in the last three orders I've received the wrong product. Amazon seems to be slipping. Pair this with the fact that's it's becoming more and more difficult to find good pricing, I sincerely doubt I'll renew my Amazon Prime membership again.

I'm a long time avid fan of Amazon. I've had Prime membership since it was first offered. I sincerely hope that I've just had a run of bad luck and this isn't the beginning of the end of what was a quality consumer relationship.
on February 9, 2012
Five stars for effort in solving a very difficult task. I have tried several other hand grip straps, some at three times the cost this one. This strap does resolve the common failing of the others; if the strap is tight enough to provide safe grip, you can't reach the camera controls with comfort. The triangle design and the additional wrist band work well at both needs. And the unit is well made.
The trade-off: you must snap the wrist band quick-connect into place after your hand is inserted, a one-handed operation. This is not easy. Perhaps it will get easier with practice.
The bottom line is, this configuration, once in place, is comfortable, all buttons are easily and comfortably accessed (even on the small Lumix GX1), and most importantly, the camera is safely secured to your hand.