Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 637 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 686 reviews
on December 3, 2016
Not worth even a few bucks. I wanted a quick and cheap solution for a trip out to Vegas, something with a small foot print and I thought this would do the job.

The main issue I have with this product is the design and how cheap the materials are. I guess you do get what you pay for. The plastic cover on the bottom is not secured and I kept finding myself readjusting it. I had the product attached to the outside of my camera bag only to learn that the screw to secure to the bottom of the camera fell off. I had to rig using the upper mount screw. This was only the second time I used this.

I think the icing on the cake is the customer service. I reached out asking to see about getting a replacement screw. I received a response a couple of days later asking for pictures. I sent a picture and have not received a response or a replacement part. No response to my follow-up email.

The bottom line is, spend the extra money and save yourself time and purchase a better product.
on January 22, 2015
Love this thing!! It's a lot lighter than I thought it would be and the plastic seems to be quite cheap..but this thing is $20.. Even with that being said, I am looking forward to seeing how much use I get out of it. Picture I've attached is an iPhone 6 plus to give you a reference size.
review image
on August 9, 2016
My X-grip was delivered in great condition. Once i opened the box and inspected. Everything was good from there on out. The X-grip is very light so there is no additional weight to fatigue your arms while filming. Pretty sturdy, however, I wouldn't be careless with it. Anything man made can break so treat it as if you paid hundreds of dollars for it.

The attachments fit perfectly with the grip: external light, microphone, sensor,etc

Best Regards.
review image review image review image review image
on June 6, 2017
I used this to hold my camera or camcorder on to record video or take pictures of adoptable animals at the animal shelter. I attached an external light source to the top and my camera to the bottom. This technique and setup worked perfectly for capturing a quality image of cats in a dark environment. The shelter was not well lit but using the Opteka X-grip with the Powerextra 170 LED CRI95 light Panel worked fantastic for being able to get the shots that I desired. This X-grip device was also very sturdy and portable which is ideal for when I am moving from cage to cage to get pictures!
on November 24, 2016
I've used this thing quite a few times in a pinch to take video shots at certain events. My only complaint is that I get a left right wobble during use. It works great to keep the camera from picking up a shaky hand, but when you move around the weight of the camera will swing side to side a bit unless you hold the handle super tight. At least this is my experience with this type of mount. The tighter you hold the camera the more the video will show your unsteady hand movements. Works well otherwise for the simple things I do with it.
on May 4, 2017
Very light weight all plastic design, comfortable foam grip, and highly adjustable screw for locating your camera just right.
I've used this with a mirror-less, a DSLR and my iPhone, it worked perfect for all of them. There is no magic bullet, you have to use best practice to get the smooth "flight" shot you want, and you'll need to practice, but this device is spot on for it.

Pros:
Light weight
highly adjustable camera location
Feet will let you set this down on any levelish surface

Cons:
takes some practice, there is no mechanical or electronic balance to help smooth things out, this is all up to you.
This is a strange grip/mount. I bought it for a couple of cameras that have proprietary hot shoes and therefore wouldn't allow me to use a somewhat universal aftermarket light. I had/have no intention of using it as a skateboard or snowboard camera mount (which it's really designed for). My hope was that it could be used oriented either forward or sideways to make use of the hot shoe, but the vertical grip has such a curve that it's awkward to grip from the side. It's difficult to explain in a written review, but I'll just say that the top horizontal grip is straight, easy to hold, and actually has finger grooves, but the vertical C-shaped grip is not.

My two other complaints are minor, but I'll mention them just so others can decide if this grip will work for them or not. First, the skeletonized cutout at the bottom for infinite camera mounting is a little unnecessary and actually results in mounting difficulty in mounting a camera with a irregular bottom (like my Sony NEX). The camera actually sinks a bit into the rubber and the large gap they carved into the mount. Second, the material being lightweight and somewhat flexible results in a lot of play with a heavy light on top and poor balance. With my light mounted on this, it really wants to tip over, and you can actually watch the top handle sag a little when you put it down on a table or on the ground.

For twenty bucks, this is a great handle for low perspective video recording of skating, skateboard tricks, skiing, or snowboarding. Unfortunately, I think it's a one-trick pony. It does not work well being used as a more conventional grip for a front or side-mounted DSLR and a hot shoe light of any size or weight.
This X-Grip is the best accessory I've ever purchased for my Sony FDR AX33 4k camcorder. I am able to mount the camcorder with the grip's handle on the left side and the camcorder's hand grip on the right side giving me amazing stability. I added a dual cold shoe mount so I could add a light and my Rode shotgun/boom microphone, giving me the ability to get footage that looks and sounds professional. The Rode shotgun microphone gives me crystal clear professional sound. I am able to clearly hear the voices of the people I am filming from over 10 feet away, and it sounds as if they are wear a lapel microphone. This X-Grip is essential if you want to shoot stable, professional looking video, with the option to add a high end microphone or lighting system.
on February 27, 2012
Wow, after reading some of the negative reviews on here I was hesitant to order this for my new Vixia camera. I especially liked the video review from someone who obviously has no idea what to do with this item (or had some serious camera issues) Bottom line first - I am extremely satisfied with my purchase and love the X-Grip!

First off, after unboxing my new camera and all of the gear that came with it, I just had to see if my camera would swivel loosely around on the X-Grip like the guy in the video review. Guess what? An eighth of a turn past snug on the mounting bolt and nothing short of a forceful twist of the camera would shake this thing loose. I flipped it,shook it, twisted it, and swung it around like a madman and my camera remained precisely where I had positioned it.

As for those who are complaining that the X-Grip cannot be attached to a tripod - double check the backside of the camera mounting thumbscrew. If yours is like mine, it took a few minutes to notice but it is double threaded, meaning that your tripod shoe will attach here easily.

With a little ingenuity I set my X-Grip up to carry not only the camera, but 3-4 other accessories that have shoe mounts as well. Cameras are easy, everything is standard 1/4X20 thread! Most of my accessories (lights, microphone, etc) came with mounting bars and thumbscrews designed to attach to the camera's single, threaded hole in the bottom. Well, since this hole was occupied by the X-Grip, I simply mounted one of the bars to the top portion of the X-Grip with a 1/4X20 bolt and added 3 of the thumbscrew/shoe mounts to that - plus the one included on the X-Grip. Now my X-Grip, if needed, can be a handheld or tripod mounted "all in one" studio.

The uses of the X-Grip are limited only by your imagination and ability to think outside of the box. This thing is crazy versatile and, despite being made of that evil "plastic" stuff, seems remarkably durable. Of course you could just mount your camera on it and use it like it was intended, but where's the fun in that? If you are a little more adventurous with your video camera than just holding it up by your face and shooting from one angle than get this thing - you'll be glad you did. I sure was!
33 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This camera grip works. It sure does let me hold my camera with a Mic or flash or anything else you could ever want attached to it and it is comfy to hold and even has a 1/4-20 hole in the bottom so you can mount your mount on a tripod. BUT. Like a few other reviews say this thing sure has some wobbles going on. It DOES hold my cameras nice and tight (tested on a Sony X1000V and a Canon Rebel XT), but the arm flexes enough that it makes my footage a bit shakier than a meter alternative. Now I realize that this is a like $20 mount and nicer metal ones are at least twice the price. My advice would be to save those pennies and get something a bit nicer.