Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on October 18, 2015
I recently purchased a Sony A6000 digital camera. I do primarily product photography for online vintage products. I also have an interest in outdoor macro photography.

With all of the cost in a new camera, the two lens kit + the 35mm 1.8 lenses I purchased, I needed a macro lens for those ocassional close ups of markings on pottery, silverware, and other details that prime or zoom lenses won't pick up. I considered the Sony 35mm macro at $250, but would prefer a longer focal length of 60+ so that if using for nature macro, I won't disturb the insect by getting so close.

In comes this inexpensive Opteka close up attachment. It did a good job for my needs, though it is by no means a high end lens. I used it recently on my Sony 35mm 1.8 prime lens just to experiment on some nature photography. These were all handheld in auto mode.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
0Comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 30, 2015
Works perfectly! I use it on my 18-55mm lens. It is not as easy to work with on a 50-200m lens. It is a much better option than getting extension tubes since you don't have to worry about a loss of light.

All photos taken with a Pentax K-50 at 55mm using the Opteka 10x Diopter.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 17, 2016
I bought this first kinda skeptical of it since I didn't understand how things like this worked also off my first few shots with nothing in focus.
I was pleasantly surprised when I sat down with it and fiddled around with the settings which made me wonder... Why buy a macro tube? With those you lose your connectivity for the most part to the lens, thus not being able to adjust setting; this on the other hand allows you to even have auto focus.

Overall I think this is a really neat addition to a kit lens for macro photography on the cheap. Won't beat a proper macro but also doesn't cause the wallet to scream either.

Pros
+Cheap
+Works with a variety on lens types
+Allows full function of the lens
+For the price the pictures are pretty great

Cons
-Weight
-Need to take it off for normal photography
-Strong vignetting when at lowest zoom (Fixed by zooming in)
11 comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 9, 2015
Delivered on time and as described by seller. Works great with my SONY a6000 digital camera. If you want the unit to fit your Sony 16-50 camera, you will need a 40.5mm to 58mm step ring versus the 49mm to 58mm step ring (for sony telephoto lens) that comes with the unit.
on November 8, 2017
This is a great lens, as it was able to capture a close up that would not otherwise have been possible (I know because I tried!) It also just FEELS like a quality piece as it is all metal and glass- not plastic like so many other lenses. Of course that adds some weight to it, but I appreciate the quality feel. It also comes with nice protective caps AND a little drawstring pouch to keep it in.

I'm giving it a 5 star rating for all of the above listed reasons; however, I need to return it because it doesn't fit my Nikon D3400 18-55mm lens. I'm STILL giving it 5 stars because nowhere in the company's description say that it DOES fit this camera/lens. I bought this because someone asked a question about whether it would fit or not, and someone (I believe a customer, not the company rep) said it would.. that's why I'm not taking away any stars. It's a quality piece and for the price it does an impressive job. Even though it didn't fit my camera I was able to hold it up to try it out- my one photo is included.
review imagereview image
on April 30, 2017
Good option for those that occasionally want to work with Macro and not spend the money on a macro lens! I use a Sony a6500, put this on the 18-55 lens with the adapter piece, only complaint is that as others have mentioned, if you shoot wider then 35mm you will see the ring. Otherwise a good piece to add to your lens collection!
review imagereview imagereview image
on September 7, 2017
Absolutely thrilled with this delightful little guy! I was expecting a slim, diaphanous sliver and I got a hefty piece of glass and metal. And it works!
I do specialized, still-life photography and have been wanting the Nikon 85mm macro but at $500 I just could not justify the cost. I recently picked up the 35mm Prime f 1.8 (and LOVE it) that focuses down to 11.8 inches and then I stumbled across this Bad Boy and for $25, why not? The pic is the third one I shot. Just look at that detail. Maybe 2 inches from the bottle. I think anyone who has ever thought about doing macro would do well to pair this up with a good, fast Prime lens and try your hand. I am so happy with this lens. 1 note of caution: it will not
attach to the Nikon 18-55mm DX VRII lens for some reason, it's too big. It does work best in good light, I think having a super fast f 1.8 lens really helps.Highly recommend. Update: Just shot the 2 flower pics in my backyard. Can you see the pollen??? And look at the brilliant color! Amazing! Remember, this lens attaches to the lens on your camera, not the camera itself, so bear that in mind. The flower pics were shot with a Nikon 35mm Prime lens f 1.8 with S priority @ 1/3200
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on May 16, 2017
I was a bit skeptical about this, but I thought I'd give it a try. I could always return it if I wasn't satisfied.
I installed it on my Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-140mm lens. Took me a minute to figure it out, but here you will see my first attempt at macro photography. Definitely looking forward to doing more.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on October 15, 2017
Works for my Sony A6000. It's a cheap alternative for those close up detailed macro shots.

I sell a few things on the internet and needed to get in close on the details/lettering/stickers and this works well. The only issue I have is the focus.

Only a tiny section of it is in focus while the blur is intense/not natural. Also, if you zoom out all of the way there is a black shroud around the edges until you zoom in a bit.
on May 1, 2017
Well worth the cost. I take closeup pictures, e.g. surface finish machined components. This is the next best thing to a microscope. I am still limited by my ability or knowledge of my camera, but that is not the fault of the lens. The lens enhances my limited ability to a point where I can take good photos. When I really learn how to use my equipment the results should be even better.