Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 739 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 794 reviews
Enthusiast: Photographyon September 19, 2016
Works fine, however, I would recommend getting the larger 6x8 inch size as the larger size works even better. Even better, I would recommend skipping this format entirely and going with the Rogue Flashbender 2, also available on Amazon. The Flashbender is more expensive, but, it is more effective, and, is more versatile.
on July 22, 2010
When I was trying to decide whether or not to purchase this particular softbox, I noticed a lot of people complaining about the quality... like it seemed as though it would fall apart or something. I do not get that impression at all. It is made of a bendable, foldable material, but doesn't seem "flimsey". It is meant to be compact so that you can fold it up small and fit it right into your camera bag... (mine fits inside the front pocket of my bag nicely). It is super easy to attatch to the flash and stays on great. I think for the price and the compactness of the this diffuser, it is well worth the money and comes very much in handy. I have been happy with the results... though I should say I use it mainly as a form of fill flash with my outdoor portraits... not main lighting. Definately recommend.
on December 23, 2013
this is the first time i ever ordered such a thing so i cannot compare it to other products ... but i ordered 3 units because the price was $1.50 not this ridiculous price it turned few days later ... it is just some plastic with a nice velcro belt around it to hold it tight on the flash ... i have a tamron and a cannon flash and it fits both great ... it makes the flash looks huge, so the last party of a 17 years old girl in our house made me look like i am walking around with a balloon on top of my cannon ... but it works ... everyone needs one of these if not for the effect that at least you feel important around people who truly dont give a damn about you if you 4 years older, not 30 years older :")
on September 20, 2013
If you've made the decision to use an external flash to replace the useless pop-up flash, you're already well on your way to improving the lighting in your photographs. The Opteka Soft Box takes it even a step further to diffuse the light softly to reduce any harsh glare and sharp shadows. It's made of a stiff fabric that can conform to the flash head and is cinched with a Velcro strap to keep the soft box from falling off of the flash head. The fabric can be crammed into a corner of your camera bag without being damaged and pulled out and re-applied when you need it. A worthwhile investment, particularly for portrait photographers on the go.
on March 6, 2012
Arrangement is a little tricky, so you may be inclined to set it up for your flash and then not collapse it when you are done, but expect a few minutes of fiddling with it to get it right when you set it up. TAKE YOUR FLASH OFF OF THE CAMERA and it is a lot easier to get rigged.

It is not huge, but does expand the flash area dramatically which will do a great job in reducing hard shadows on your photo subjects. It is NOT a replacement for a flash reflector or remote flashes, but fits nicely into your bag for on-the-go shooting.

Only negative is fixing it to the flash with the velcro and band, but there is no way to improve this as this is a universal product. If it bothers you, buy the name brand for your flash, but expect to face the price that follows with that!
on February 25, 2014
I like it, I see myself using this a lot in my photography. It defuses light well and gets rid of harsh shadows.

It did not come with instructions, which isnt a big deal because it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out. There was a Random Rubber Band with it, which im not sure the purpose as the Velcro band secures it to my flash nicely so im not sure the purpose. I do aslo wish the soft box was in a slight bigger and nicer bag. I like to keep my equipment nice, and holding cases help to do that. All in all Good solid Product.
on May 16, 2011
When some friends of mine asked me to shoot their wedding, I purchased this very affordable and portable diffuser. It did a great job, and I'm very happy with the results I got. It's still a bit harsh in close-up shooting, but not near as much as a bare flash and it works great for wider or distant shots. I'm debating doing some white balance tests to adjust some skin tones a little, but I'm very happy with the lighting and exposure. The material is very thin, particularly on the side panels, and as a result it feels a little flimsy and sags a bit while mounted on the flash head. However, it folds flat for easy storage and portability in a camera bag. I'd like to see a future version with more rigid sides that close off gaps and make it sit a little straighter.
on October 9, 2013
A Velcro strap is required to be threaded through a pair of loops on each of the four tabs and a rubber band must be slipped over the head of the flash. The length and width of the tabs are slightly too big and prevent snugging the Velcro strap around the head of a Sunpak Digiflash 3000. The diffuser has a tendency to slip and drop out of position despite the rubber band. Although it folds down nicely you must unthread the Velcro strap in order to do so. This makes it a little cumbersome to setup and store back in your camera bag.
on January 19, 2013
I bought this in conjunction with some other things I was needing-such as an external flash and lens hood. While it took a little bit of figuring as to how to lace the belt around the soft box itself, it all worked out.

I know some say they could probably make something like this on their own. That's probably true. For this amount of money though, it's not worth making your own unless you just want to or have a specific reason for doing so. It works great. It does make a noticeable difference in how it works with a flash.

If you lace the belt through all 4 sides, you will have an issue. If you leave the one side unlaced, it works great. You can lace two opposing flaps, and this will work too. It might not seal so perfectly like a studio soft box will. It's not a big deal as its only a flash with a sealed reflector. It does in fact diffuse the light more effectively and will take out any glare you might have otherwise.

As far as what this softens and doesn't, it's relative. If you have a harsh hot spot from your flash, this will remedy that and give you a more diffuse glow. That I can attest too. As far as shadows go, they are softer. It's not really dramatic but they are a little bit less harsh. When you take pics on your display and/or go to edit, you'll see the difference.

Pros: It's cheap! It works. You can wrap this around a single 23W CFL and use it as a diffuser too if need be! I've tried that. This thing folds up nice and easy. You won't loose a whole heck of a lot of luminescence with this thing either. When I go it, I put it on the table first thing-in the middle of some ciggie ashes I didn't know about. I don't smoke so I don't think of these things. I got a lovely bunch of soot all in the middle of the diffuser material. I took a moist sponge to it, and it came right out with no effort. So if you get some sort of debris there, it's very easy to clean. It's like a shower curtain material in texture on the diffuser mesh itself.

Cons: With my particular flash, it won't allow me to go below 15 degrees on the tilt. However, it makes little if any difference at that point. A heads up on the lacing might have been nice but easy enough to figure out. It doesn't stay square when you wrap it around the rubber band. It's a little lopsided no matter what you do. However, it doesn't interfere with the functionality of the flash itself. So on that, it's negligible unless that appearance is a big deal to someone.

I would recommend this. It's cheap. It's effective.
on June 12, 2009
I got this for my Speedlite 430 EXII. It doesn't stay on well, and is bulky (it includes a rubber band, I suppose for friction around where it attaches to the flash). If I move my camera too much, I expect it to come off, or most likely shift around. It seems rather flimsy to me. It does fold up nicely, however. I instead recommend the Sto-Fen OMEW Omni-Bounce Diffuser. It does a better job, and you don't have to worry about assembly; just make sure you have it snapped on such that it stays tight. I have found the Opteka brand to offer its products cheaply, and you can tell.